Author Topic: Feta Brined Chicken over Saffron Rice  (Read 1046 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Feta Brined Chicken over Saffron Rice
« Reply #-1 on: October 29, 2015, 12:19:08 AM »
Oct 28 2015

We needed rain but not all at once! It started yesterday after noon and quit just before noon today; we got 2.6 inches. From the looks of the radar everyone east of the Mississippi had rain. The sun finally came out and it was 65 deg. but then it rained again just as I was ready to carry my chicken in!

This was a recipe that caught my eye and said I have to try it. The recipe was for doing a whole chicken in the oven. I changed it for doing a split fryer on my Traeger pellet smoker.

I had my chicken brined and seasoned and got it on my Traeger at 4:30; I had it pre-heated to 200 deg. grill level. After a half hour I eased the temp to 310 deg. grill level. It took an hour and 40 minutes total to get to a breast IT of 178 deg.

I had a package of Vigo saffron rice done in my rice cooker for a side. My other side was carrots; I had cut and boiled for 10 minutes then let set until the chicken was about done. When the chicken was at 175 deg. breast IT I drained the carrots and added to a skillet with some butter and olive oil on medium high.

It was raining so I covered the chicken with foil and took inside and finished up the carrots. When the carrots were getting a little brown I added some Ketjap manis, (sweet soy sauce) and some Penzey’s sandwich sprinkle.

I served some breast meat over the rice and I had a leg with mine too. One other side was a slice of my last garden tomato with some seasoning and feta cheese. The wife said the chicken was good and moist and tender. We both really liked the Ketjap manis on the carrots; that is something I will be using more of with carrots. I had thought I would be able to taste the feta but not sure it came through for me.

I don’t think I will use the Vigo saffron rice again; I have used some other brands that are better.

Smokin Don

Recipe:
Feta brined chicken

1 split fryer
2 oz. crumbled feta cheese
2 teaspoons kosher salt
4 cups water

1 lemon and the zest
About 2 teaspoons oregano
Lemon pepper
Salt (optional)

Make up the brine with the feta cheese, salt and water. You can use a food processor or as I did with an immersion blender. Add the chicken to the brine and add water to cover if needed. Let it set overnight in the fridge.

A few hours before cook time, remove the chicken from the brine. Dry with paper towels and place on a rack in a pan and in the fridge to air dry. A half hour before cook time squeeze the lemon on both sides, add the oregano and lemon pepper, and salt if you use it. Rub it in evenly.

Cook your favorite way. I did mine on my pellet smoker ½ hour on 200 deg. grill level then eased it up to 310 deg. grill level and cooked to a breast IT of 178 deg. It took a total of 1 hour 40 minutes.
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Feta Brined Chicken over Saffron Rice
« on: October 29, 2015, 01:12:50 AM »
That looks amazing.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 02:48:29 AM »
Looks good to me..sounds Greek...with the feta and all that oregano.  Have to try this one for sure. Thanks for the recipe.  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 03:38:06 AM »
Looks like a solid meal Don.

Sometimes feta comes in a brine water, maybe adding a little of that to your brine would help the feta flavor come through a little more? Still looks good, I'm going to give this a shot.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 08:48:21 AM »
Excellent Don!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 09:05:32 AM »
Looks like a solid meal Don.

Sometimes feta comes in a brine water, maybe adding a little of that to your brine would help the feta flavor come through a little more? Still looks good, I'm going to give this a shot.
60 years of smoking may have dulled my taste buds for subtle tastes AK. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline ACW3