Author Topic: TBE - Pulled Pork?  (Read 3826 times)

Offline Ericd3043

TBE - Pulled Pork?
« Reply #-1 on: May 13, 2016, 11:01:22 PM »
I know that you can do a good pork roast in the TBE.  Can you get good results on pulled pork?  I do not plan to smoke this next one but wanted to try it in the TBE.  However, the meal will be for the employees and I wanted to provide pulled pork sandwiches along with the standard fare.

From a planning stand point, I would expect that it will take a while for a 10lb picnic roast - 6 to 8 hours seem reasonable for the cook portion?  Just trying to plan this out a little before next week and it is my first time doing this.

Thanks!

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: TBE - Pulled Pork?
« on: May 13, 2016, 11:19:00 PM »
Only way I know to do a butt for pulling in TBE is like this

Rub the but with your favorite rub place it in the basket and cook til IT of 160.     Remove and foil butt and make sure you have a temp probe in there.   Place the butt wrapped back in TBE and cook till 200 to 205.    Remove wrap in a towel and let it rest for two hrs in a cooler if possible.  You won't have bark but you will have pulled pork that is moist
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 10:07:25 AM »
Pardon my infrared ignorance, TBE is a different animal than the SRG?  I kinda thought the SRG was the TBE with a grill grate??
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 10:26:26 AM »
Smoke..the TBE came first then the SRG and then the BEESR.. just sayin .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ. 
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Ericd3043

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 10:45:34 PM »
Thanks... I like that idea.  I know from reading, I want to wrap the wires in the probe before using them in the TBE.

Any ideas on about how long I can expect it to take per pound?  I want to make sure I will have enough time to make it happen.

I will probably do the same thing I did before with ribs when I tent them - put a little apple juice mixed with seasoning in the foil packet.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 11:05:27 PM »
Meat is meat its ready when it wants to be.   Not being smart just saying time is hard to guess because it can cook in 10 mins pound or up to 15 mins.    I would just go by IT of the meat. 

Just for info an 8 lb butt can go 3 to 5 hrs in an SRG to hit 160 IT.  Yet I have cooked 10 pound butts in as little as 5 hrs where 8 lb butts take 4 hrs on average.     I would guess 2.5 to 3 hrs to hi 160 hope this helps
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline Ericd3043

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 01:32:51 AM »
Meat is meat its ready when it wants to be.   Not being smart just saying time is hard to guess because it can cook in 10 mins pound or up to 15 mins.    I would just go by IT of the meat. 

Just for info an 8 lb butt can go 3 to 5 hrs in an SRG to hit 160 IT.  Yet I have cooked 10 pound butts in as little as 5 hrs where 8 lb butts take 4 hrs on average.     I would guess 2.5 to 3 hrs to hi 160 hope this helps

Thanks... that gives me a good ballpark to work with.  I just wanted to make sure I gave myself enough time and , at the same time, at least some sleep!  The goal is to have food at noon.  I will start it early, get it to 160 then tent it to get it to 220.

I appreciate your hope!

Offline Elzic

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2016, 12:21:17 PM »
Pardon my infrared ignorance, TBE is a different animal than the SRG?  I kinda thought the SRG was the TBE with a grill grate??
Pretty sure the TBE has one temp setting and only a mesh lid, the SRG is a bit bigger,  has a low/high temp setting and a solid hinged lid (plus the grate, of course).

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Elzic
Norfolk, VA
Novice Producer, Experienced Consumer.
Big Easy SRG

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2016, 07:34:16 PM »
Eric you must not have went back to far. TBM (Tommy) is the guru of the Big Easy cooker around here . Do just exactly what he says and it will come out perfect.....he has cooked a zillion pork butts.
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline Ericd3043

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2016, 11:18:45 PM »
Eric you must not have went back to far. TBM (Tommy) is the guru of the Big Easy cooker around here . Do just exactly what he says and it will come out perfect.....he has cooked a zillion pork butts.

I have seen many of his posts, but it seemed that most of them were roasts and not the pulled pork.  I am used to the low and slow smoking and this unit really does cook much quicker.  Hence the reason I was asking.

This project is a go.  I pick up the meat on Wednesday.  Lucky for me, there is a local place that will fill my propane tank for only $12.  I am using a recipe from a link that was posted on here in the last 6 months.  I was thinking of trying the Cherry Dr Pepper recipe I had found, but I think the sugars in the recipe would burn too quickly.  Instead I am going with a Caribbean pork recipe.  It was mainly for a pork roast, however, I think it will produce a nice pulled pork.  I just need to find a recipe for a Caribbean injection for the preparation.

I will post the results after the cook is over... should be interesting!

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2016, 09:50:57 AM »
I have 126 butts in infrared and I want to hit 200 by the end of the year  :D :D

If you cook a butt in TBE without wrapping around the 160 IT mark your gonna end up with a hunk of coal so be careful.  Also I never cooked a butt over 6 lbs in my TBE I only use the SRG's for large butts

The reason for wrapping is simple, it will hold in the moister and will convert TBE into an oven.   At 160 most of the fat and collagen will have started melt away so you need the foil to protect the meat from burning.

Now, if you want to add a little apple juice to the butt after place it in the foil do so but again TBE will run HOT and possibility of the sugar breaking down so again BE CAREFUL 

TBE is a great cooker you just have to know how to cheat it to get the results you want.

Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2016, 11:50:05 AM »
I want to hit 200 by the end of the year  :D :D

Be careful Tommy if you hit 200 by the end of the year...the Atlanta Braves may call you up. ;) ;) ;D
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2016, 12:10:31 PM »

Yes he is the king of the paleta de puerco ;) ;)
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Ericd3043

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2016, 08:12:50 AM »
The pork is in and seems to be doing ok.  Pulled it out at 160, wrapped in foil, added a little apple juice (probably would have not done so if I had remembered TMB's comment prior to doing so). 

So far, it smells good.  The outer edge is pretty dark, but most of the char is on the fat cap I left on. 

I will post separately the cook once I have pulled the final product at the BBQ.  I think I will use some of the seasoning I used on the meat to sprinkle on the finished product and then will make a Dr Pepper sauce to go with it on the side.

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2016, 10:17:37 AM »
Lets see some pictures of that cook !!!  :D
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]