Author Topic: Old vs New  (Read 573 times)

Offline Michigan0626

• Live Free Or Die
Old vs New
« Reply #-1 on: April 02, 2018, 01:27:48 PM »
Hello,

Could someone tell me the major differences between the old 1 Star and the new 1 Star?

Major differences between the old 2 Star and the new 2 Star?

Thank you.
MAK 2 Star General #2804
Camp Chef Flat Top Grill
Cook-Air Little Red Corvette
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Classic Weber Kettle
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-less Turkey Fryer

Offline rwalters

Re: Old vs New
« on: April 02, 2018, 03:19:27 PM »
Well, there are some changes that have been very apparent and marketed as such.  And there have been changes that could easily go unnoticed.  I am not trying to avoid this question, but after thinking about it, I think I am going to answer a bit differently by deflecting these questions to MAK Grills.  Prior to my MAK purchase, I had a small laundry list of questions, some manufacturer specific, and some just "pellet grills" in general.  I called a few of the pellet grill manufacturers that I was interested in... and after firing off my list of questions, for me, MAK came away the clear winner.  Perhaps you firing off your questions to MAK will give you a better idea if the 1 Star is the right grill for you.  To be fair, compile a list of Rec Tec questions and do the same :)

MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
Re: Old vs New
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 06:00:59 PM »
I hope I can answer this, since I've upgraded 1 Stars twice!  :P

The original 1 Stars were smaller in size, and had a stainless steel bucket on the side to catch grease (same with the 2 Stars).  For 2014 they changed to a slide-out grease drawer (which holds a small disposable aluminum loaf pan), upgraded to a removable plate for making clean-out of the grease channel easier, and added a ash clean-out plate so you can sweep the ash into the grease drawer.

For 2016 they increased the size of the cook chamber to the same as the 2 Star, and introduced the FlashFire Ignitor.

For 2017 they changed the color to all black instead of the silver vein finish, to make it easier to touch-up the paint should you scratch it. MAK also introduced the new funnel style FlameZone, as well as matching new style searing grates & griddle for both the 1 & 2 stars.

Note: MAK offers a FlameZone made & sized specifically for the older 1 Stars, but the newer improved FlameZone will only fit 2016 and newer 1 Stars.

<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68