Author Topic: MAK Smoke Output & Pellets (split from MAK 2 Star review)  (Read 4130 times)

Offline Michigan0626

• Live Free Or Die
MAK Smoke Output & Pellets (split from MAK 2 Star review)
« Reply #-1 on: April 06, 2018, 10:59:37 AM »
When keeping the 2 Star on low at 225, could it use a pellet tube for more smoke?  Or is it one of the few pellet smokers that can bellow out the white stuff like a stick burner?
MAK 2 Star General #2804
Camp Chef Flat Top Grill
Cook-Air Little Red Corvette
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Classic Weber Kettle
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-less Turkey Fryer

Offline rwalters

Re: Re: MAK 2 Star Pellet Grill Review
« on: April 06, 2018, 11:17:58 AM »
When keeping the 2 Star on low at 225, could it use a pellet tube for more smoke?  Or is it one of the few pellet smokers that can bellow out the white stuff like a stick burner?
I'll put it this way.  I used to have a MAK 1 Star... sold it, and now have a 2 Star.  I bought a smoke tube when I originally acquired my 1 Star.  I used it maybe 2-3 times and quickly came to the realization that it is not needed.  IMO, and from my experience, the MAK's are smoking machines, making the tubes completely unnecessary.  PM me your address, and I will send you my tube if you need further convincing :)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline Michigan0626

• Live Free Or Die
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 11:59:13 AM »
Thanks for the offer. But I am realizing I can take what everyone says on here as pretty reliable.
MAK 2 Star General #2804
Camp Chef Flat Top Grill
Classic Weber Kettle

Offline rwalters

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 12:08:42 PM »
Thanks for the offer. But I am realizing I can take what everyone says on here as pretty reliable.
Well, the offer still stands.  If you are coming from a charcoal or stick cooker, than you may find the smoke a bit light at first.  I did.  After about 5 or 6 cooks, I discovered something... I could actually taste the meat and seasonings vs having smoke be the first flavor my tongue recognized.  Best I can describe it is this... my food now has a very clean smoke seasoning on it vs just being SMOKED.  I didn't realize how much better it tastes until I tried it.  One last thing I found interesting... I have been cooking with charcoal and logs for many many years.  I could not believe how many more compliments I got when I switched over to cooking on my MAK (yes, I know how to manage a maintain a clean burning fire in a charcoal/stick cooker...lol).  Seriously, friends and family love the food that comes from the MAK, and I have a few friends/family that are brutally honest ;)

Just one man's experience(s)... :)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

Offline Michigan0626

• Live Free Or Die
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 12:28:59 PM »
I know when I was looking into the RT-680/700, a lot of the complaints were on smoke output. I was going to get a tube automatically.

I have only tried smoking once, and it sucked.  I will say that when I eat bbq, I love a think, chewy, tasty, dark bark.  I will probably separate or split briskets and Boston butts in half to double up on the bark.  Is the amount of smoke the driving factor in that?  Or simply the number of hours sitting at 225?
MAK 2 Star General #2804
Camp Chef Flat Top Grill
Classic Weber Kettle

Offline rwalters

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 12:47:31 PM »
I know when I was looking into the RT-680/700, a lot of the complaints were on smoke output. I was going to get a tube automatically.

I have only tried smoking once, and it sucked.  I will say that when I eat bbq, I love a think, chewy, tasty, dark bark.  I will probably separate or split briskets and Boston butts in half to double up on the bark.  Is the amount of smoke the driving factor in that?  Or simply the number of hours sitting at 225?
Regarding smoke and smoke output, the MAK is known for it's volume of smoke output.  I am not saying that there is no other contender, but I do believe that MAK is one of the finest when it comes to smoke output.  Another key ingredient I believe is quality pellets.  What brand of pellets do you plan on burning?  I have been using Cookin' Pellets "Perfect Blend" for quite some time now and they are awesome!  I buy a bulk order directly from them (600 lbs for $370 to your door). With that said, my stash is low and I am now looking at other high quality pellets for a better price... still searching.

As far as bark... IMO, there are several variables:

1) Type of wood can affect color of bark.  For example, cherry tends to give a prettier mahogany color, where something like oak a much darker color.
2) As far as the thick chewy bark that you are after, yes... low steady temps are critical (anything below 275, IMO).  This will explain way better than I can: http://www.genuineideas.com/ArticlesIndex/bark.html

Offline Michigan0626

• Live Free Or Die
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 12:56:45 PM »
For pellets I was going to get some from Rec Tec if I had pulled the trigger.  Now, I'll probably grab a couple bags from Lowes or Walmart to try and experiment.  I saw somewhere about MAK having hazelnut pellets and that sounded interesting, but I cannot find them on their website.
MAK 2 Star General #2804
Camp Chef Flat Top Grill
Classic Weber Kettle

Offline rwalters

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 01:06:38 PM »
For pellets I was going to get some from Rec Tec if I had pulled the trigger.  Now, I'll probably grab a couple bags from Lowes or Walmart to try and experiment.  I saw somewhere about MAK having hazelnut pellets and that sounded interesting, but I cannot find them on their website.
I do not believe that they sell their MAK branded pellets anymore.  They now include Bear Mountain pellets with the purchase of a new cooker.  Pretty decent pellets.  Bruce talked me into buying a few bags a couple of weeks ago and giving them a try.  Not bad at all for the money ($10.50ish for 20 lbs).  You wouldn't happen to have a Cash n Carry store nearby, would you?  That's where Bruce buys his Bear Mountain pellet from... I just so happened to have a Cash n Carry about 10 miles from my work :)

Offline Michigan0626

• Live Free Or Die
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 01:46:18 PM »
Nope. I have a local Walmart up here in the northern mountains of NH. Its 45 minutes to 2 hours minimum to any decent size store.

MAK 2 Star General #2804
Camp Chef Flat Top Grill
Classic Weber Kettle

Offline FinsnFeathers

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 02:06:03 PM »
I have been using Lumber Jack 100% hardwood pellets. No oak or alder filler.

I have always done a mix of 50/50 cherry and apple.

But since I got the 2 Star I tried some Lumber Jack 100% peacn on an Easter ham. Love the ability to change pellets!

I have been very happy with the Lumber Jack pellets and have a rep. only a few miles away. And I am not affiliated with them. Just a happy customer.

MAK 2 Star General #3579

Offline rwalters

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2018, 02:21:01 PM »

But since I got the 2 Star I tried some Lumber Jack 100% peacn on an Easter ham. Love the ability to change pellets!

I have been very happy with the Lumber Jack pellets and have a rep. only a few miles away. And I am not affiliated with them. Just a happy customer.
Could you really tell the difference between the fruit tree pellets and the pecan?  There are times that I really struggle to tell the differences in flavor from one pellet to the next (within the same brand of pellet).

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2018, 03:12:47 PM »
We have a Cabela's in my town. They sell their own brand of pellets which are actually made by LJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline FinsnFeathers

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2018, 04:02:06 PM »

Could you really tell the difference between the fruit tree pellets and the pecan?  There are times that I really struggle to tell the differences in flavor from one pellet to the next (within the same brand of pellet).

The cherry / apple mix seems to taste a bit sweeter than the pecan. Since I added a glaze to the ham it may not be a good test but the smoke smell was more woody...if that makes sense.

I will need to use it some more on different cooks to see for sure.
MAK 2 Star General #3579

Offline rwalters

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2018, 04:06:06 PM »

The cherry / apple mix seems to taste a bit sweeter than the pecan. Since I added a glaze to the ham it may not be a good test but the smoke smell was more woody...if that makes sense.

I will need to use it some more on different cooks to see for sure.
Makes perfect sense. Let me know after you’ve cooked a bit more using the Pecan. Interested in hearing your thoughts :)

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
Re: MAK Smoke Output & Pellets (split from MAK 2 Star review)
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2018, 04:57:07 PM »
Guys,  I split this conversation off from the "MAK 2 Star Review," Since it took on a life of its own anyway, it deserves its own thread!

Good info here for all!

<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68