Author Topic: MAK Smoke Output & Pellets (split from MAK 2 Star review)  (Read 4129 times)

Offline rwalters

MAK Smoke Output & Pellets (split from MAK 2 Star review)
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2018, 05:09:01 PM »
Guys,  I split this conversation off from the "MAK 2 Star Review," Since it took on a life of its own anyway, it deserves its own thread!

Good info here for all!

Good move... I guess I didn’t even notice that we had totally hi-jacked Smokes MAK review thread...oops.
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
Re: MAK Smoke Output & Pellets (split from MAK 2 Star review)
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2018, 06:03:54 PM »
When keeping the 2 Star on low at 225, could it use a pellet tube for more smoke?  Or is it one of the few pellet smokers that can bellow out the white stuff like a stick burner?

MAK's never bellow out that yucky white stuff.   The smoke is a lighter with that blueish gray hue to it and gives a really nice clean smoke taste. Like Robb (rwalters) said, you can actually taste the food, not just smoke. 

Here's my take on 100% flavorwood pellets versus oak blended.

I will sometimes use 100% flavorwood pellets (fruitwood, pecan, hickory, etc) for low & slow cooks, BUT they do produce quite a bit more ash than an oak-blended pellet.   I love Lumberjacks Competition blend (Maple/Hickory/Cherry - AKA their "MHC" blend) but I always have a lot more ash to clean out afterward.

I prefer to mix 100% Flavorwoods 50/50 with oak, especially for higher temp cooks. Oak just burns cleaner with more BTU's (more efficient), and less ash.  And to be honest it's hard to tell a difference in taste because Oak has a more nondescript flavor so the flavorwood gives the influence.

It's like using hardwood lump charcoal  with chunks of wood.

For grilling temps (450°+),  straight oak pellets are what burn the hottest and cleanest.  I'm talking A LOT lower ash! 

Another great pellet for grilling temps (if you can find them) are Lumberjacks "Charblend Hickory".  The charcoal mixed in allows them to burn extremely cleanly & hot with lower ash.  They're hard to find, though, unless you get them in a bulk order.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!   :D
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline rwalters

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2018, 06:44:24 PM »
When keeping the 2 Star on low at 225, could it use a pellet tube for more smoke?  Or is it one of the few pellet smokers that can bellow out the white stuff like a stick burner?

MAK's never bellow out that yucky white stuff.   The smoke is a lighter with that blueish gray hue to it and gives a really nice clean smoke taste. Like Robb (rwalters) said, you can actually taste the food, not just smoke. 

I will sometimes use 100% flavorwood pellets (fruitwood, pecan, hickory, etc) for low & slow cooks, BUT they do produce quite a bit more ash than an oak-blended pellet.   I love Lumberjacks Competition blend (Maple/Hickory/Cherry - AKA their "MHC" blend) but I always have a lot more ash to clean out afterward.

I prefer to mix 100% Flavorwoods 50/50 with oak, especially for higher temp cooks. Oak just burns cleaner with more BTU's (more efficient), and less ash.  And to be honest it's hard to tell a difference in taste because Oak has a more nondescript flavor so the flavorwood gives the influence.

For grilling temps (450°+),  straight oak pellets are what burn the hottest and cleanest.  I'm talking A LOT lower ash! 

Another great pellet for grilling temps (if you can find them) are Lumberjacks "Charblend Hickory".  The charcoal mixed in allows them to burn extremely cleanly & hot with lower ash.  They're hard to find, though, unless you get them in a bulk order.

So, when you say you like to grill with straight oak, what brand of oak pellets are you burning? Wondering who sells straight/pure oak.  I’d love to try straight oak. Earlier this week, I bought 4 bags of Bear Mountain oak pellets. But after calling them, they confirmed that they are 75% alder/25% oak. Do you think that will burn as clean a straight oak?
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2018, 07:27:36 PM »
Earlier this week, I bought 4 bags of Bear Mountain oak pellets. But after calling them, they confirmed that they are 75% alder/25% oak. Do you think that will burn as clean a straight oak?

Absolutely no way will they burn as cleanly as straight oak.  Alder has a lower BTU rating.

Lumber Jack and BBQer's delight both make a 100% oak.
<><
Member #68

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2018, 07:30:38 PM »

So, when you say you like to grill with straight oak, what brand of oak pellets are you burning? Wondering who sells straight/pure oak.  I’d love to try straight oak. Earlier this week, I bought 4 bags of Bear Mountain oak pellets. But after calling them, they confirmed that they are 75% alder/25% oak. Do you think that will burn as clean a straight oak?
Bear Mountain labels them as oak, and they are 75% alder? I guess buyer beware.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Lantern

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2018, 07:48:38 PM »
A question. Since I ALWAYS run 100% flavorwoods is the complaints about ash just because of frequent cleanup or is there a problem with ash getting on the food during the cook? I haven't noticed this yet, but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask those that have been using their MAKS more than 2 weeks.

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2018, 08:13:02 PM »
A question. Since I ALWAYS run 100% flavorwoods is the complaints about ash just because of frequent cleanup or is there a problem with ash getting on the food during the cook? I haven't noticed this yet, but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask those that have been using their MAKS more than 2 weeks.

It's mainly with the extra cleanup and the fact that on longer cooks, especially, it can cause extra ash build-up in the firepot.  When I don't use an oak-blend there is always more ash in the firepot. 

It's not really a huge problem, just something to be aware of.

Lumberjack makes both 100% flavorwoods AND oak-blended flavors.  For example the 100% hickory will say 100% hickory.  If it says "Hickory Flavor" or "Hickory Blend", they are a blend of 60% oak and 40% Hickory.  Most of the time you are not going to be able to tell the difference in flavor between the two.

When I get in on a bulk order, I like getting the a bag of 100% oak for each bag of 100% flavorwood, and blend them 50/50 as I need them.   This lets me mix up flavors the way I like, AND have 100% flavors for use in the pellet tube when cold smoking.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 08:29:19 PM by TentHunteR »
<><
Member #68

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2018, 08:40:02 PM »
I think Tent has got this dialed in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2018, 09:01:17 PM »
MAK is no longer in the pellet game.......well pellets that is :)

I really think the one brand to really avoid is Traeger.

Alder based so they do not burn hot and produce lots of ash.............................

......................and oils are used for flavoring.

Cooking Pellets
Pit Boss Comp
B & B
BBQ's Delight
Limberjack (my fave)

these are all excellent and have fun experimenting with different pellet mixtures in your hopper as well as using different brands.

Oh, a MAK does not need any smoke tube....trust The Smoke on this one......
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Michigan0626

• Live Free Or Die
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2018, 07:26:38 AM »
So my Walmart has the Pit Boss competition pellets, Camp Chef hickory, and B&B (cannot remember wood variety). How are these versions?
MAK 2 Star General #2804
Camp Chef Flat Top Grill
Cook-Air Little Red Corvette
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Classic Weber Kettle
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-less Turkey Fryer

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2018, 09:13:34 AM »
I have used Pit Boss Competition pellets for well over two years now and I like them.

In fact they are the only pellets I have used so far since I got the MAK.

We have a small Wal-Mart here in Marlin, Texas and I order them on-line for around 16 bucks for 40 lbs and have them ship to store for free.

I also have a farm equipment store that is a Green Mountain Grill dealer that stocks Lumberjack pellets for about the same price.

I really can't tell the difference between the two, but Wendy thinks the Pit Boss smell better at start up.

Give em a whirl, you might just like them.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Michigan0626

• Live Free Or Die
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2018, 10:22:31 AM »
 :thumbup:
MAK 2 Star General #2804
Camp Chef Flat Top Grill
Cook-Air Little Red Corvette
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Classic Weber Kettle
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-less Turkey Fryer

Offline Harriska2

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2018, 04:20:20 PM »
We just got 10 bags bear mt from wilco for about $9 per 20 lb bag hickory.  Works just dandy for us.  Would it be awful to say there might be too much smoke? I mean, I have a dedicated grill sweatshirt.

Offline zueth

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2018, 07:14:44 PM »
There are definitely some negative reviews for Pit Boss competition blend. Which makes me hesitant to try them, I have used cookin pellets and they are awesome but cost a lot. Can get lumberjack for slightly cheaper but if Pit Boss is good would love to save some coin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline rwalters

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2018, 07:31:21 PM »
There are definitely some negative reviews for Pit Boss competition blend. Which makes me hesitant to try them, I have used cookin pellets and they are awesome but cost a lot. Can get lumberjack for slightly cheaper but if Pit Boss is good would love to save some coin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have you ever considered buying Cookin’ Pellets directly from them in bulk. 15 40 lb bags of Perfect Mix delivered to your door for $370. Every bag is in its own cardboard box and super easy to stack. Much better pricing doing it this way.