Author Topic: Lamb Breast ribs???  (Read 293 times)

Offline GusRobin

• Test
Lamb Breast ribs???
« Reply #-1 on: March 02, 2020, 10:27:29 PM »
Went to WalMart to get some things so obviously when I am in any store that has a meat dept I have to take a look to see if anything good is available.
I saw a package of meat called "lamb breast". It looked like small beef ribs, not what I would call your normal looking lamb chops. They had a lot of white, meaning not much meat on the top but meat in-between the ribs.

Anyone ever cook these?
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Lamb Breast ribs???
« on: March 03, 2020, 07:59:36 AM »
Never heard of them, I have cooked goat ribs and thats all I'll say  :P
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 08:07:38 AM »
I have cooked them (the Walmart ones specifically).  I even found my post. https://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=21833.msg279555#msg279555.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 12:29:43 PM »
Looks good Billy, I think I will give them a try.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 01:07:05 PM »
Looks good Billy, I think I will give them a try.

You can't beet them for the price.  I have had them a handful of times.  The cut is weird since there is a smaller side and a larger/meatier side packed on top of each other.  Doesn't make much difference in terms of done time.  Just a matter of rendering the heck out of them and pulling them when they are soft butter tender to a toothpick.  They are greasy, fatty, salty and make a heck of a mess in the cooker (cook on the grate, but definitely put a drip pan under them).  All the things I look for in short ribs.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2020, 05:40:05 PM »
I normally cook ribs on a variation of 3-2-1. At 225 about 3 hours uncovered, probably 1 1/2 foiled with butter, bbq sauce and or juice, and 1 hr or so until toothpick tender. Does that sound about right for these?

Offline GusRobin

• Test
Re: Lamb Breast ribs-Update
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2020, 05:04:21 PM »
Well that was a disaster!
Marinaded the ribs overnight. Combo of olive oil, thyme, garlic and Greek seasoning.
Next day seasoned with salt, pepper, more greek seasoning.
Put on the RecTec at 225 for about 3 hours, pulled and foiled with lemon juice, butter, and pepper.
Put on for another ~1.5, then unfoiled and put on for another 1/2 hour until tender. So basically a modified 3-2-1.
The meat was tender, but the problem is that it was mostly fat, with very little meat. The meat was very good, but the little you got out of it wasn't worth the effort in my opinion. So I'll cross that off the list.
Now I have to figure out what to do with the other rack. Maybe I'll strip the little meat off it and use it in the next batch of "Gus' Left Over Stew"

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Lamb Breast ribs-Update
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2020, 03:43:58 AM »
Well that was a disaster!
Marinaded the ribs overnight. Combo of olive oil, thyme, garlic and Greek seasoning.
Next day seasoned with salt, pepper, more greek seasoning.
Put on the RecTec at 225 for about 3 hours, pulled and foiled with lemon juice, butter, and pepper.
Put on for another ~1.5, then unfoiled and put on for another 1/2 hour until tender. So basically a modified 3-2-1.
The meat was tender, but the problem is that it was mostly fat, with very little meat. The meat was very good, but the little you got out of it wasn't worth the effort in my opinion. So I'll cross that off the list.
Now I have to figure out what to do with the other rack. Maybe I'll strip the little meat off it and use it in the next batch of "Gus' Left Over Stew"

Did you cook the big rack or the little one?  Sorry, I missed your message.  I just do SPOG, low and slow on them.

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2020, 10:03:23 PM »
Half of each Like I said, they were good, just too much fat very little meat.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2020, 02:42:01 AM »
Gotcha.