Author Topic: First Cook on the Masterbuilt 560  (Read 12205 times)

Offline GusRobin

• Test
First Cook on the Masterbuilt 560
« Reply #-1 on: June 01, 2020, 03:30:39 PM »
Yesterday I did my first cook on the Masterbuilt 560.
Here it is firing up

A while back HighonSmoke showed some pork short ribs he did. Looked good so I ordered some. Here they are rubbed down and in the smoker.

Basically did a 3-2-1 variant. Here they are sauced at the end.

Plated

Overall they were very good. I think I should have left them in a little longer but I was hungry.

Thoughts on the 560:
I like the convenience of self feeding charcoal. My 6 hr cook used about 60% of the bin of coal. So using simple math, a bin should last about 9-10 hrs. This is not exact as I didn't weigh what I put in and it was mix of lump, briquettes, and wood chunks.

The controller ran at 235* but the extra temp probe I put in the middle said about 189*. Not sure which was off. But that is no big deal in that once you are aware you can compensate. At one point the controller shut down for no apparent reason and I had to restart. But it was ok after that. About 2/3 thru I lost WiFi and couldn't reconnect. Others have had issues with the wifi some have not. The overall concensus is that it is a poor unit.

I like the idea of being able to shut it down and save the unused charcoal. That function seems to work well.

Mods I made/will make:

While as with any smoker you will find numerous mods on youtube etc.,some needed, some just because they can. Here are the ones that I did/will do:
1) The stainless firebox insert. There is a debate if needed, but I want this to last a long while so I bought one. ($115).
2)While wifi is not that important, I decided to buy the new fireboard controller with the built in fan drive ($245). Many are ok with the current controller so I am not sure if this falls in the "needed" or "nice to have" category. Either case I can ue it on other smokers if desired.
3) In the ash bin at the bottom of the charcoal bin there were gaps on the sides. This needs to be airtight in order to shut down and save the unused coal when done. Just needed to run a line of high temp silicone along the seam.
In summary, I am happy with this and will be using a lot. I like the charcoal/wood flavor that you can't get with a pellet grill.
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: First Cook on the Masterbuilt 560
« on: June 01, 2020, 03:46:27 PM »
Looks good Gus!
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 04:23:36 PM »
I think the ss firebox insert was a good call  :)

Ribs sure look good by the way
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 05:44:27 PM »
Great looking cook Gus! I did mine just like I would do beef ribs. Probe tender at 200 plus.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Lines

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 06:23:57 PM »
Looks awesome Gus, Thanks for the review and pointers.

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2020, 07:03:56 PM »
Great looking meal and a nice 1st cook.
The Wi-Fi stops when you open the lid...should restart when you close the lid and quick press the connect button.  I haven't had an issue with Wi-Fi.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2020, 09:10:48 PM »
that food looks amazing....best of luck Gus
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2020, 08:36:29 AM »
For anyone curious on the pork short ribs. A member of another forum that works at Snake River Farms stated:

"To clear up a couple of the questions we've seen on this cut: The reason these look a little different than what you're used to is because at SRF we break our shoulders on a "Japanese break" as opposed to an "American Break". The American break is between the second and third ribs, while the Japanese break falls between the third and fourth rib. They are meatier because they come from a muscle group in the shoulder while spare ribs are simply the ribcage on the side of the animal. That's the difference between Spare Ribs and Short Ribs.

tl/dr - these are the front of the spare ribs and include some meat from the shoulder"

I didn't know this and Porter Road and also the Snake River Farms product page on pork short ribs doesn't explain it fully.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2020, 01:06:21 PM »
Look pretty good to me!

This is a question for Gus (or Jaxon).  Do you think you can add wood chunks or are they too big?  Just spit balling here...
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2020, 01:24:45 PM »
Look pretty good to me!

This is a question for Gus (or Jaxon).  Do you think you can add wood chunks or are they too big?  Just spit balling here...

I add wood chunks in the ash bin. As the hot coals drop they burn up the wood chunks. In the charcoal bin I addeded a layer of coal, a layer of wood chunks and then more coal. So yes you can. It says (if I remember correctly) that you can add up to 11/2 lbs of wood chunks. Some have also added a wood split in the ash hopper.
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2020, 01:46:46 PM »
What Gus said...
Today I am doing ribs in the 560 and trying another method for the wood.  I have 3 hickory splits, about 8 inches long, standing vertically in chute surrounded by the charcoal.  My thinking is that they will smolder and smoke for a longer period of time that way than if they are lying horizontally.  I also have 2 big chunks of cherry in the ash drawer.
It is smoking well at this time and has been smoking for quite a while - thin blue smoke.
<><

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2020, 02:07:21 PM »
This cooker does intrigue me....if y'all keep this up -I am gonna get in trouble. So- whose backyard am I gonna be living' in with my new grill? :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2020, 02:45:47 PM »
This cooker does intrigue me....if y'all keep this up -I am gonna get in trouble. So- whose backyard am I gonna be living' in with my new grill? :D
Well, if you get one bring it over I got room in my hangover outback for you  :D :D
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2020, 08:40:38 PM »
I did another couple of racks today and they are excellent!
I cook ribs on the middle shelf and set the controls to 235 to maintain the 225 I want.
For this cook I used3 hickory slats about 2 inches square.  I placed them in the chute vertically and poured the charcoal around them.  The idea was to have them slowly burn and continue to smoke for a longer time.  It worked.  I got steady smoke for a couple of hours.  I also put 2 large chunks of cherry in the ash catcher.  They smoked well, too.
Probably used about 2 chimneys worth of Kingsford.
I am very happy with the results we're getting.
I wish I could post the fine pictures.
<><

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2020, 08:31:42 PM »
Amended review by Meathead. Didn't our very own Smoke out that issue a couple of weeks back?  Smoke is da man

In the short time since publishing this review, we have encountered significant and disturbing quality issues with this product. The firebox at the bottom of the charcoal chute has warped badly, and buckled, and appears to have rusted through the inner layer, although as of now, the outer layers remains intact. Additionally, the fan that regulates air to the fire is stone dead despite our best efforts at revival and the unit is now inoperable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109