Author Topic: Diet Chicken Legs  (Read 1687 times)

Offline Hub

Diet Chicken Legs
« Reply #-1 on: February 01, 2013, 01:26:27 PM »
Diet Chicken Legs

Okay, like a lot of other folks I usually take the first three months of the year and “atone” for my gustatory excesses during the other nine.  Particularly, from Thanksgiving through New Year’s day I’m prone to eat just about anything that falls in front of my face.  Then, about the first week in January I notice my waistline and my blood sugar have expanded.  My clothes did not shrink.  It is all my fault.

Fortunately, I have discovered through many years of the above behavior that I can drop three to five pounds a week, reliably, by maintaining an average 1600 calorie per day diet and sticking to my (rather enjoyable) regimen of walking two or three miles most days.  Yes, I know I shouldn’t pig out as badly and for as long as I do but let’s not go there right now since I won’t see my doctor until May.  What he doesn’t know while he’s drinking scotch and eating steaks at his country club are of no concern to me.

Fact:  Some parts of the chicken are relatively low calorie while still rich in flavor.  The breast is nice but can be bland (I eat a lot of them this time of year) and gets boring after a while.  Wings and thighs are delicious but, pound for pound, the heftiest chunks of the bird calorie-wise.  This brings us to the humble leg.  Unless coated with a sugary rub and slathered with sweet sauce, this component (when cooked per my recipe here) will weigh in at a reasonable 90-110 calories per.  So, three or four of them accompanied by a small salad with minimal gooey dressing will tot up to a manageable meal that will be both filling and satisfying because it won’t taste “diet”.

Ingredients

- Chicken Legs (my store sells packages of 14 – I know not why they choose that number)
 - Pam or other commercial pan release spray (I like butter flavor)
 - Montreal Steak Seasoning (by McCormick)
 - Smoked Paprika (I like Pensey’s)

Preparation

Prepare a zero-calorie “rub” using ½ cup Montreal Steak Seasoning combined with three heaping teaspoons of smoked paprika.  Easy.  Salty.  Tasty in a non-sweet kind of way.  Sprinkle it lightly over the chicken, spraying them (moderately) with the butter flavored pan release first.  It really doesn’t take much – there’s lots of garlic and pepper and onion overtones that will come through plus you want the chicken meat flavor to still be there, too. 

Cooking

This batch I’m doing in my PBC just because I haven’t used it for this recipe before.  Usually I fire up the Traeger or the Memphis to 325.  I’m not aiming so much for smoke flavor (I get some from good pellets) as I am good texture.  Smoking chicken at the customary pit temperatures for great smoke (225-260) “rubberizes” it in most pellet cookers and stick burners unless you’re using a very tedious (and high calorie) competition method .  The only thing worse than smoker rubber chicken is microwave rubber chicken.

The trusty Maverick said the legs were done in about an hour and a half.  This really isn’t much different in the PBC than it is in the pellet machines at the same temperature.  It would probably be about the same if I just put them in the oven, but wood (either charcoal or pellets) is super-necessary to avoid the dreaded “diet” flavor.

Serving?

I plated several with some salad on the side and dug in.  The flavor was excellent – woody from the charcoal with some “sizzle” unique to this breed of cooker.  I didn’t add any sauce, of course but I did get a good balance of chicken meat flavor unique to the darker portions of the bird, the effect of the “rub” and the method (charcoal smoke).  Calculating my plate I managed a 600 calorie dinner which wrapped up my 1600 calorie day very close to target.  I didn’t feel like I had a low calorie meal – I was full and it tasted like real food. 

Other Thoughts

Moisture and texture were first-rate.  Tender and nicely chewy.  Next time I may try a handful of apple wood chips or some 100% flavor wood pellets.  I think this would “define” the smokiness a little. 

I peeled the skin away and didn’t eat it for calorie control purposes but it was tender enough.  It wasn’t crispy but it wasn’t rubbery, either.  Leaving it on for the cook helps assure moisture and flavor balance.  Cooking skinned chicken is asking for leathery layers on the outside using most cooking methods.

In a few months, I’m going to do this again with some of my favorite yardbird rub and a good brushing of Head Country for the last ten minutes.  It won’t be “diet” but it’ll be dynamite!

Hub
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 01:27:58 PM by Hub »
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
Re: Diet Chicken Legs
« on: February 01, 2013, 01:29:58 PM »

Nice!

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 01:37:17 PM »

Nice!

ya, i agree.  it looks good hub.   ;)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
Diet Chicken Legs
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 01:51:15 PM »
Ditto!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline Kora Smoker

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 02:15:23 PM »
What a great cook, but wow at the 600 calories.
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber 26 kettle
Rec Tec 680
Gabby's Grill Santa Maria add on for weber kettle 26 inch
Gateway Drum Smoker

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 02:22:45 PM »
Sure looks like that plate had way more than 600 calories on it.......looks real good.....
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 02:55:09 PM »
Great looking meal - regardless of the health benefits!

T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 02:57:47 PM »
Super meal and a great concept. Thanks for sharing!

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 04:34:14 PM »
There you have it, folks!!  "Diet" can taste good, too.  I need to work on my chicken skills on my PBC anyway.  It will have to wait for another night.  I have four lamb chops on the menu for tonight. 

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 11:45:03 PM »
Nice write up and the legs sound great! I wish the wife liked the legs would be fixin some weekly! All she wants is the breast. I like the legs and thighs so works out when I do a whole bird. They look good on the PBC, Sandman got one and hope to see it tomorrow. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 11:48:51 PM »
Hey Hub,

I think you or someone made mention of that leg rack sometime ago. Can you remind me?

Thanks,

David
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 11:54:36 PM »
A question for some folks with multiple cookers...

I have always liked my wings and legs (and chicken in general) on  the SRG. Now, lately, I have done whole chickens (cut in half) on the PBC. I really like them as chickens with the unique charcoal flavor. However, for wings and legs - I have really liked not only the flavor but the crispy skin.

I have far too many cookers on the deck - just ask SWMBO...  ???

But as long as they are there, I want to take advantage of them. So, right now, I like my SRG for wings & legs - great skin, moist, flavor. PBC for whole / half chickens - moistness, flavor, uniques charcoal flavor.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

David
Member #

Offline Hub

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 07:51:30 AM »
Hey Hub,

I think you or someone made mention of that leg rack sometime ago. Can you remind me?

Thanks,

David

I've had mine for several years and can't really remember where I got it.  However, if you Google "chicken leg rack" you'll get a gazillion hits:  http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-0770-PDQ-Wing-Rack/dp/B0009KF3QC

Mine is stainless steel and I just toss it in the top rack of the dishwasher to clean it.  Cheaper ones get a bit rusty.

Hub
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
Weber Performer
PBC

Offline Hub

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2013, 07:57:38 AM »

I have far too many cookers on the deck - just ask SWMBO...  ???

David

Au contraire  ::)

If you don't have enough different outdoor cooking appliances to induce confusion concerning which one to use to cook what, then you don't have enough!

Hub
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
Weber Performer
PBC