Author Topic: Would Like Crisp Chicken Skin  (Read 5442 times)

Barry CB Martin

Re: Would Like Crisp Chicken Skin
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2013, 09:42:35 AM »
OR - like many of us - you can toss the smoked poultry into the Big Easy for a few minutes and the IR will crisp up that soggy smokey skin too....

Offline CaptJack

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2013, 09:46:53 AM »
OR - like many of us - you can toss the smoked poultry into the Big Easy for a few minutes and the IR will crisp up that soggy smokey skin too....

Yeap, a BigEasy / SRG will crisp ANYTHING !!

the only problem with this is you have two cookers to clean when you finish the cook
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 09:49:22 AM by CaptJack »
King of the OldSmokey

Offline eldog73

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2013, 10:53:58 AM »
kind of a followup to this, (two grill technique).  I am thinking of adding another cooker and have thought about a backwoods or similar (i have a large pellet smoker and a pull behind propane cooker) 

Would the backwoods serve both purposes.  smoke the chicken first, then remove water pan and jack up the temp to finish the skin?  I was thinking of rotating the shelves to the bottom for max heat.

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2013, 05:04:09 PM »
You could do what some restaurants do... use a crème brulee torch <lol>.

It's kinda like using a hot skewer for grill marks!

Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2013, 05:10:26 PM »
Can I mail you my cook book to get signed??? ;D

"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline Hub

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2013, 08:09:21 AM »
I've had success on crispying the skin by putting it on the grill for a little while after I smoked it.  Dee

This is the tried and true way to get crisp skin on chicken chunks.  Make sure your grids are either well seasoned to avoid any sticking or give them a light spray with Weber grill spray before you put the pieces on.

Competiton chicken has, in the last few years, moved toward "bite through" skin.  Prior to that style movement it was very common to see competitors crisping chicken over a small charcoal grill next to their smoker.  Thighs, particularly, will crisp up in just a minute or two over hot coals.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN