Author Topic: I need advice...  (Read 2049 times)

Offline pz

I need advice...
« Reply #-1 on: September 22, 2013, 11:58:00 AM »
I've an SRG that I used to almost ruin pork butt on the first time I used it.  Today I plan to do two chickens (and maybe some baked potatoes to go along with) - can someone advise on time/temperature/method so I don't muck it up again?

Thanks

Offline hikerman

Re: I need advice...
« on: September 22, 2013, 12:13:13 PM »
PZ I don't have an SRG, but rather a TBE. I usually either cook chicken whole or spatchcocked in this cooker. Go to IT ,of 160F and foil for 10 min. Potatoes take 40-60 min. depending on size, IT of bakers about 200F.  Scrub taters, dry, rub with EVOO, then lots of course sea salt. Best bakers by far.

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 12:16:35 PM »
pz,  I do all my cooking in the SRG on high.  I cook with the lid down until I get the color I want on the chicken.  Watch keeping the lid down too long on potatoes or they will make charcoal lumps taste tender...experience speaking.

As to chicken I like to spatchcock mine and cook with the back down so that the juices collect in the cavity.  This is a trick I learned from one of my cooking heroes...Old Dave.

I cook the taters to about 200*... I think I got that from muebe.  I ain't got nuthin' original with me. Also, rub with canola oil and put either salt and pepper or Cajun spices on them. Don't forget to punch some small holes in them to let the steam escape.

I would cook the taters above the chicken as they should be done in about 30 minutes or so.  Cook both the chicken and meat to IR and not time.

Don't worry too much  about over cook  because I've found with IR cooking you can over cook meat somewhat it it'll still be juicy.

I always brine my chicken in a solution of water, salt, and brown sugar.  Sometimes I throw Cajun spices in there.

Sometimes I'll inject also.  Brinning is fro moisture and injection and marinating are for flavor.  I don't do much marinating.  Laziness probably.

Well, that's how I do.  Tommy will most likely come along and tell you the right way.

Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 03:51:02 PM »
I also cook full blast on high with the lid down for everything. I go by color and use my maverick et732 to monitor the IT. Its hard to mess up a yard bird in the SRG, always comes out juicy even if you go above IT.
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 09:35:03 PM »
What I would do is this. 

Cook the spuds till 200 temp remove and wrap in foil then into a cooler to keep warm.  Take you first bird and set it into the basket then use the half racks to set the next one in.  If you have two sets of half racks lift the lower bird up a rung or two.  This will help get it out of the dead zone and will let it cook close to the sametime as the top bird.

Cook lid down, high setting the intire cook and watch your rub so it's not high in sugar.  I use butter on the skin and wipe all the moister off before adding the butter
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 09:38:53 PM »
I think it is 10 minutes per/LB as a rule but someone needs to verify that. On high :)

« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 11:11:34 PM by TMB »

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 11:11:57 PM »
That's what Charbroil claims but it's not set in stone.  I have had turkeys go 12 to 17 mins per pound.  The 10 min is just a starting point so keep this in mind
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline pz

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 11:52:26 PM »
Many thanks everyone for all the advice; your experience has made my first bird cook a success!
The day was cold and blustery, and the plan was to roast two chickens in the SRG along with baked potatoes and squash.  Also in the plan is to smoke several cheeses and some kosher salt.

Chicken is spatchcocked, and ready to go on the heat.  One bird is breast side down, and the other is breast side up.  Both were liberally sprinkled with the sweet mesquite seasoning from Costco. IT=170F - overshot a bit but it was still delicious.

Potatoes were scrubbed, dried, oiled, and liberally sprinkled with kosher salt.  Squash was oiled

Cheeses went into the Bradley, with pecan: kosher salt on paper plates-top rack, 2 goat cheese logs and a log of fresh mozzarella on the next, then a block of Swiss and two sharp white cheddar wedges, and another Swiss and 2 Gouda blocks on the bottom.

Because it is a cold and sometimes rainy day, into the gazebo go my babies.  Now it's time to relax with a glass of wine and enjoy the aromas

The chicken looks great!

Here are the goodies - chicken looks perfect, as do the potatoes and squash

That potato looks good enough to eat - IT=210 (I tried for 200, but oh well, maybe next time)

Finished plates and wine.  I substituted tomatoes Ahron for the squash my sweetie likes

Cheeses are done!

Smoked pecan salt.  Although the salt took on lots of smoke color, the taste just was not there.  Will need to find another method.

The upper 2 are goat cheese, and the sliced lower is fresh mozzarella.

At the end of the day...
  • The chicken skin was crisp and delicious, the meat tender and juicy.  This is a great way to cook chicken
  • The tomatoes were topped with basil and dried in the residual heat of the pizza oven over night - thanks for that tip, Ahron!
  • The Gouda and Swiss turned out perfect.  The sharp white cheddar was a first for us, and was absolutely delicious on our first taste, and my sweetie wants me to keep one of the wedges to eat now (no ashtray taste with that baby).  The goat cheese was absolutely scrumptious - if you like goat cheese at all, you'd love smoked goat cheese.  We were a disappointed with the mozzarella - did not have a good texture, although the flavor was okay.
  • We were disappointed with the smoked salt - even though it took on plenty of smoke color, the taste was so subtle as to almost not be there.  We'll need to rethink this process.
  • The potatoes were perfect - thick almost crisp salty skins and fluffy tender flesh.

Offline Dakota Don

• Sioux Falls, South Dakota
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 12:34:50 AM »
Congratulations on an Awesome cook pz! Yes, that is a great looking bird, and that cheese...WOW! I bet it's delicious.  ;)
C.B. BEESR
Masterbuilt Electric Smoker
C.B. 4 Burner Infrared - Natural Gas
Holland Grill - Natural Gas

Offline pz

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 01:04:54 AM »
Thanks Don!  I can't really take credit though, the advice from the experienced folks on this forum made it a no-brainer.

I love it when you can ask the experts, and get good information that makes you successful.  All the help has been much appreciated!

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 07:25:54 AM »
pz the chicken looks outstanding!

Now about that salt. Don't worry. When it first comes out it almost has no smoke flavor. But after sitting for a month in a container it will start to take on more color and flavor. Don't know why but it just does. I got some kosher smoked salt that is very dark in color now.

You can also add it back to your smoker whenever you run it. Hot or cold does not matter. Each time it will get more smoke.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 07:28:15 AM »
pz, See, I told you Tommy would come along and set everything straight. :)  What a great cook and what a great looking place you have there.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline hikerman

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2013, 10:03:55 AM »
PZ, glad your SRG cook was successful! Chicken, potatoes, and tomatoes looked great, as did your various smoked cheeses.

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
I need advice...
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2013, 11:24:28 AM »
Wow. What a spread. Nice color on everything.

Mike
Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2013, 11:28:59 AM »

That's one High Caliber dinner!!!!!!    ;) ;)