Author Topic: Two Turkey Questions  (Read 2159 times)

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
Two Turkey Questions
« Reply #-1 on: November 25, 2013, 06:17:06 PM »
Two things which I have not seen covered...maybe it's because of obviousness to most:

We talk about brinning the turkey and using a bag in a five gallon bucket, but we don't say what type of bag. Can you use the kitchen trash bag such as the Hefty Gripper?  It seems to have a perfume type smell to eliminate orders.  Or do you use a black trash bag?  If you use the Hefty with the ice on the outside of the bag and the turkey and brine in the bag, will the smell penetrate the brine and therefore the turkey or is it OK to use this type of bag?

Second question.  If we finish our turkey cooking outside and need to hold it in the oven till time to eat, what temp do you have the oven set to keep it warm but no have it continue to cook?

Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
Re: Two Turkey Questions
« on: November 25, 2013, 06:47:32 PM »
Dee..I would go ahead and use the black liner without the smelly stuff or you will taste it. We do that for our hairy buffalo parties. If your gonna hold something warm I would go 200º or not above boiling which is 212º.  Depending on how long I would turn it to 200º and when you put turkey in , turn heat off and let sit. Leave it on if it's gonna be over an hour.   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 07:03:15 PM »
Pammie to the rescue!!! ;) ;D  I agree with Pam , Dee.

I use the white or black bags, but none that have a fragrance. Who knows what they make that stuff from? ( If we are lucky…old politicians :D )

I might even put a loose tent of aluminum foil over the turkey when holding it in the oven.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline hikerman

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 09:40:04 PM »
I agree no stinky stuff near the turkey. Also if using kitchen trash bags (they don't hold a lot of weight) I'd double them Dee, using one might allow ice water to migrate into your brine and vice-versa. I use big zip-loc bags found at big box stores. There's  3, 4 and 5 gal. bags I believe.

Offline Albert Rivera

• Albert is a"Foodie"
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 10:20:10 PM »
I did not know any difference so I used "Turkey Oven Bags" that I had been using in the kitchen oven before I knew anything about "BRINING" or what an infrared grill was.

"Turkey Oven Bags"  are water tight.

Oven Bags for turkey for some strange reason work perfectly!

As JAXON would say "just say'n"
God bless you,
Albert

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 10:45:36 PM »
Y'all are right on target.  I was talking with Brad tonight and he had never heard of dry brining and did not seem too enthused about it.  It maybe one of those things that you have to do to believe.
I also asked him how long to leave a turkey out of the icebox before cooking.  His response was 2 - 2 1/2 hours with no problem.

Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 11:10:32 PM »
I use Hefty Jumbo zippered bags that have a 2.5 gallon capacity. I have used this for a 14 lb. brisket and I use it for 12 lb. turkeys without any difficulty whatsoever. What I do is take one of our pyrex cooking platters that are usually 9 - 10 inches x 15 inches and place the bag inside this dish. I place in the turkey into the bag without any difficulty. After I boil and bring the brine to room temperature, I put the brine in the bag, zip it up and place in the fridge overnight. Real simple, no igloos filled with ice, no 5 gallon containers, and does not take anymore room than what the turkey took up when it was inside the fridge sitting on a plate.

As Shakespeare wrote: "Much ado about nothing"
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline MJSBBQ

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 07:17:13 AM »
I use an Igloo cooler with no bags. It is very easy to rinse out wash with soap and  water when done. I never have room in the refrig during the holidays to put a turkey back into the frig with everything else going on for the meal.

After the cook, i double foil the meat and then put towels over the top. This keeps the meat warm for at least two hours. I use this method to keep things warm and safe for transport to tailgates. It usually keeps the meat warm/hot enough that it feels like you just took it off the grill.

Offline Pam Gould

Re: Two Turkey Questions about the brining ?
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 08:12:56 AM »
Talk about making the brine..I make a concentrated version..almost 2 cups of hot water to salt and whatever else I am using. Then add it to the cold water for wet brining my birds. No use heating all the water and temp stay safe. Have done this for years.  Just sayin.  Pam   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 08:57:29 AM »
We all should be in the fur business since we are so good at skinning a cat multiple ways.  Dee

Offline Savannah Stoker Controller

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 11:18:13 AM »
To be safe use the High-Density Polyethylene Liners available in most office supply stores.

Offline pz

Re: Two Turkey Questions about the brining ?
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 04:33:40 PM »
Talk about making the brine..I make a concentrated version..almost 2 cups of hot water to salt and whatever else I am using. Then add it to the cold water for wet brining my birds. No use heating all the water and temp stay safe. Have done this for years.  Just sayin.  Pam   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ

Great idea - I'm going to try this tomorrow

Offline Pappymn

Two Turkey Questions
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 05:01:15 PM »
My two birds went in for a swim this afternoon. And I do what Pam said.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2013, 05:32:56 PM »
Just do it in 5-gallon pickle buckets from your local restaurant... no bags... especially not trash bags.
Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline Pam Gould

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2013, 06:39:31 PM »
Just do it in 5-gallon pickle buckets from your local restaurant... no bags... especially not trash bags.
I do mine in a cooler add brine and bird and ice. Temp stays for me but my garage is about 38º right now..it's below freezing outside. I love my garage in the winter.  Pam .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron