Author Topic: First cook(s) on the SRG  (Read 2500 times)

Offline Harbah Master

First cook(s) on the SRG
« Reply #-1 on: November 30, 2013, 10:07:56 PM »
Well I've never  been one to go into a new Adventure half heartedly, so my first cook was to be a 12lb Turkey on Thanksgiving.

I cooked the bird upright on a beercan chicken holder, sans the beer can (I wanted to test the SRG on its own merits)
I melted a stick of butter and rubbed it all over the bird along with some Creole Seasoning. I wrapped the wing and drumstick tips with Foil to try and avoid burning the extremities ツ

I injected the remainder of the melted butter into the breast and thighs.

The SRG was all seasoned and ready to go - Tommy ring installed and applewood chips loaded around its edge.

I dropped the bird in and closed the lid, and was ready. First thing I noticed was a lack of smoke, so I filled the smokebox too. Within 5 minutes I had smoke, maybe a little too much smoke but we'll see.

I was estimating around 90 minutes for the cook time.
After 45 minutes the bird had some good color and the I.T. was up to 135F.

I did notice the breast closest to the smoker box was getting to well done so I rotated the basket to try and slow down the burn. The cook was going a little quicker than I had expected so I lifted the lid and let it cook for another 30 minutes on high. After the 30 minutes she was right at 165.

I turned off the SRG and let the bird sit inside it for another 10 minutes, before pulling the bird from the basket (which proved a little more difficult than I liked) and wrapping it closely with HD foil. Giving the bird another 30 minutes to rest.

Most  of the chips inside the SRG were still intact a little charred but certainly not all burned through. Which surprised me.

Upon carving, the breast ran clean and juicy - the dark meat was cooked through and moist.

I was happy, Thanksgiving wasn't ruined, far from it everyone was more than impressed with the bird.
However the smoke flavor was definitely lacking which given the speed of cooking is probably to be expected.
It was still moist the next day for sandwiches.

Next day was some simple campside cooking of breakfast and it was pretty amazing to cook bacon on a grill with no flare ups.

Day 3 of the camping trip was one to test the versatility of it as an all in one cooker.
Jerked chicken portions, baked potatoes and grilled corn.

I started the potatoes in the bottom, rubbed with a little oil and salt and pepper. After an hour I added the chicken, here is where I made my mistake - I removed the potatoes and put the chicken in the bottom and added the half racks putting the potatoes back in at the higher level. My thinking was the chicken could cook with dripping down onto the potatoes.

After 15 minutes I added the corn to the grill. The corn was slathered in soft butter seasoned and wrapped in foil.
After another 30 minutes I pulled the corn and lifted the basket, the potatoes were cooked and the skins were a little darker than I like to see (I enjoy eating the skins of a baked tater)
The chicken wasn't quite done and needed another 10 minutes higher up in the basket.

Sorry no photos of the finished product but it was all very tasty.

Overall I'm impressed there's definitely a learning curve, there is a dead zone at the very bottom.I'm Hoping mine is no worse than usual.

Timing is everything and will take some dialing in.

Grilling without flare ups is fantastic

Smoking is going to take some adjustment in cooking temps.

Next up will likely be a pork butt.

Thanks for all the great threads and information on here.

I'll be modding my basket and I've ordered the Kebab sticks and the griddle and leg hanging racks.

I'm going to enjoy cooking and participating with you guys.
Smoke 'em if you got 'em

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: First cook(s) on the SRG
« on: December 01, 2013, 09:19:17 AM »
It takes some big stones to use a new cooker on Thanksgiving.  Sure glad it came out good.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline txpops

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 09:47:36 AM »
Congrats on your success. Be careful with the bacon. I remember a couple of years ago I was just getting to know my new SRG. I had cooked bacon for my wife and I a couple of times but this time I was cooking for a bunch of people. My son and I were cooking lots of bacon and I was bragging on the no flare ups thing and just as the words came out of my mouth there was this whooshing sound and flames came shooting out the top of the SRG. :o We made a mad scramble to get the bacon off before it was burnt to a crisp. :-[  After a few minutes, and some wise cracks from my son, the flames died down and we finished the rest of the bacon.  So yes it can flare up with really greasy foods. 

Mike
Original Bradley smoker w/dual element mod
Dual-Probe auber pid
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil Beesr
Outdoor Gourmet Pellet Grill
Camp Chef DLX pellet grill
Old Smokey #22 charcoal grill
Excalibur 9 tray dehydrator

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 12:16:02 PM »
That is some awesome looking cooking!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Harbah Master

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 06:21:20 PM »
Thanks guys, I won't lie - there were some tense moments, worrying if we would end up having a veggie Thanksgiving:-[
Smoke 'em if you got 'em

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 08:28:18 AM »
The grease in the drip tray can ignite if it gets hot enough! ???

Great looking bird BTW ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 11:32:07 AM »
Looks good.    As for grease fires, they do happen don't ask me how I know just take it I KNOW  ;) ;) ;) ??? ??? ???
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 11:36:58 AM »
Nice looking cook.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 07:43:10 PM »
Excellent cook.  To take care of that dead zone in the bottom there are two ways to handle it.  One is to use the Tommy Ring which is a 9" outer  portion of a springform cheesecake pan placed in the bottom of the SRG cooking chamber.  It is also good for keeping the wood chips or pellets piled nice and neat in the bottom of the cooker.  The second is to place a rack about two levels off the bottom of the basket and place your food on it.  Either of these will work.

Tx,  As to that grease fire in the SRG.  That happens because it builds up in the bottom and will get exposed to the open flames.  I have never had a grease fire in my IR Quantum grill.  I have not put the amount of bacon on the grate as you did either.  Judging from his comments, Tommy has with the same result.

Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline pz

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 09:05:43 PM »
Looks really good!

Offline Harbah Master

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 06:26:09 AM »
I was using the Tommy Ring which is why I was somewhat surprised at the deadzone still being in effect.

I'll be using it again this weekend to get more familiar with it.

Going to try a pork butt and a chicken
Smoke 'em if you got 'em

Offline pz

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2013, 02:26:55 PM »
...Going to try a pork butt and a chicken

Those were two of my first cooks on the SRG - both turned out way better than the turkey