Author Topic: Hasselback potato question  (Read 2847 times)

Offline Saber 4

Hasselback potato question
« Reply #-1 on: February 09, 2014, 05:43:33 PM »
I was thinking about doing a couple of small taters Hasselback style in the SRG for dinner tonight. I've done lot's of whole potato's and sweet potato's but don't know how the Hasselbacks turn out and how long they usually take.

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
Re: Hasselback potato question
« on: February 09, 2014, 05:53:25 PM »
I always go by temp. I know the hasselback is sliced already but I go for the 200-210 range and than I know they will be fall apart good.

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 05:58:28 PM »
I lay a wooden spoon beside the potato so I don't cut thru ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 10:16:30 PM »
The main thing I found with Hasselback spuds is you need to wash them real good after you cut them to remove the starch in between the slices.    Any starch left over will act like glue sticking the slices together and that's not a good thing.

As for time I cook 45 to 55 mins, depends on size of the spuds. Cook till 200 IT
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 10:19:25 PM »
The main thing I found with Hasselback spuds is you need to wash them real good after you cut them to remove the starch in between the slices.    Any starch left over will act like glue sticking the slices together and that's not a good thing.

As for time I cook 45 to 55 mins, depends on size of the spuds. Cook till 200 IT

I remembered to wash them after slicing from something you put on another thread, they turned out great. Now the rinsing thing has me wondering if you could rinse and dry after slicing and then drop into a deep fryer, maybe even slice in both directions, I'm thinking you might end up with a blooming French fry app instead of a blooming onion?

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 10:21:47 PM »

I remembered to wash them after slicing from something you put on another thread, they turned out great. Now the rinsing thing has me wondering if you could rinse and dry after slicing and then drop into a deep fryer, maybe even slice in both directions, I'm thinking you might end up with a blooming French fry app instead of a blooming onion?
Don't know be worth a try  :) :) :)
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 10:24:23 PM »

Don't know be worth a try  :) :) :)

That's what I was thinking, guess I'll have to pick up some more spuds on the next grocery run. ;D ;D

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 12:16:03 AM »
You better make sure they are real dry if your gonna deep fry them or you oil will sputter a whole bunch. Have to get them completely dry. Water and oil don't mix well,  just sayin.  Pam   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.   
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 12:31:07 PM »
You better make sure they are real dry if your gonna deep fry them or you oil will sputter a whole bunch. Have to get them completely dry. Water and oil don't mix well,  just sayin.  Pam   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.   

You are so right Pam, I was figuring on drying as best I could with paper towels and then put them cut side down on folded paper towels to let gravity and the wick effect pull as much water as possible out. At least that will be the plan.

Offline Pam Gould

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 04:33:05 PM »

You are so right Pam, I was figuring on drying as best I could with paper towels and then put them cut side down on folded paper towels to let gravity and the wick effect pull as much water as possible out. At least that will be the plan.
I have a better idea for you if you want to do that..just nuke them some first..or use a pressure cooker..that will not take very long then put them in whatever your cooking them. I precook lots of things like whole cabbages, cauliflower steaks, potatoes for twice baked or potato skins, etc.
Pam    .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 04:44:45 PM »

I have a better idea for you if you want to do that..just nuke them some first..or use a pressure cooker..that will not take very long then put them in whatever your cooking them. I precook lots of things like whole cabbages, cauliflower steaks, potatoes for twice baked or potato skins, etc.
Pam    .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

That's a definite thought, wonder if I could give it a few minutes in the SRG then into the fryer

Offline Pam Gould

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 06:21:40 PM »

Pam    .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

That's a definite thought, wonder if I could give it a few minutes in the SRG then into the fryer
That might work but they gotta be dry or your gonna bubble the oil something terrible. Fries always bubble up in a deep fryer anyways. If they are at all wet..you better be careful. I spose you could do an overnight thing...maybe.  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ. 
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron