Author Topic: SRG Chicken cooking question  (Read 3944 times)

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
SRG Chicken cooking question
« Reply #-1 on: April 26, 2014, 05:40:40 PM »
I have roasted chicken in the SRG but has anyone ever cooked a whole cut up chicken on the grill of the SRG. That's what I want to do as I don't really like the basket system of the SRG, It always comes apart on me and food falls on the floor and I burn my paws :)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: SRG Chicken cooking question
« on: April 26, 2014, 06:35:29 PM »
I have roasted chicken in the SRG but has anyone ever cooked a whole cut up chicken on the grill of the SRG. That's what I want to do as I don't really like the basket system of the SRG, It always comes apart on me and food falls on the floor and I burn my paws :)

Hate those burned paws!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 07:03:45 PM »

Hate those burned paws!

Does anyone have a good seasoning for burnt paws?  ::)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 07:30:08 PM »
Keymaster, You can cook anything you want on the grill of the SRG and it will come out great.  As a matter of fact, 90% or better of my grilling is done there.  It does a great steak.  Try the reverse sear technique on a steak  using the SRG.  It works great doing that also.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 07:40:09 PM »
Keymaster, You can cook anything you want on the grill of the SRG and it will come out great.  As a matter of fact, 90% or better of my grilling is done there.  It does a great steak.  Try the reverse sear technique on a steak  using the SRG.  It works great doing that also.  Dee
Thanks Dee, would you recommend the low setting for cooking on the grill for chicken or High ?

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 10:18:45 PM »
Ive had trouble overcooking my steaks on the SRG,about got it right.HOWEVER,ive been cooking chicken parts on the grill and using the grill grates and I have to say,on high it takes me about 25-30 minutes to cook thighs,and man alive what a juicy tasty bird.I do skin side up first,then skin down and get a crispy skin that doesnt pull off.SRG grill alone cook a little faster in my experience,grill grates really good for keeping the skin on.They just pop right off the grills.

Last batch we used WOW and mrs says.....you be sure to order more of that and I have a full bottle yet.SRG and chicken,CRAZY GOOD! Thanks all for turning us on to the SRG,its my go to/when we need it now cooker as its fast and always ready to just fire up,doesnt need the prep times the awesome PBC does.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 10:25:21 PM by spuds »
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 10:51:58 PM »
I do still like my SRG for wings - best ever... But didn't use it for much else. Then started using my wok - oh my I can get it screaming hot... love it for stir fry... Sorry, can't find the unicorn pictures anymore...

Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 10:39:39 AM »
I do my chickens (and most everything else) on top of the SRG, I start skin down for 3-5 minutes then flip to back side till it's almost done then back skin down for a few minutes to finish. Always ends up moist and fully cooked with crispy but unburned skin.

Offline spuds

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2015, 11:36:30 AM »
I do my chickens (and most everything else) on top of the SRG, I start skin down for 3-5 minutes then flip to back side till it's almost done then back skin down for a few minutes to finish. Always ends up moist and fully cooked with crispy but unburned skin.
Yes,isnt that amazing???? I had nice grill line patterns on em,soooo dang good!Mine read about 170-180 and as you say,MOIST.Crazy!

Looks like I need to add wings to the srg,any wing tips (LOL,not the shoes Ralph  :D) we should know? Dry or sauced?
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 10:38:39 AM »
I do all my cooking on the SRG on high.  I like to keep things simple.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Offline cookiecdcmk

• Always looking for new ways to improve my food.
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 01:47:17 PM »
I usually cook my chicken, whole or pieces, with the lid down on high.  But I use a mesh lid, so the solid lid is open, with the mesh lid on with a high setting.  I always have used the baskets, etc. and my chicken comes out good.  I want to try solid lid down, on high, with a spatchcocked chicken on the top SRG grate.  I wondered if the chicken would cook with too high heat this way, and the chicken would burn?  It looks like that is not the experience with others.  What do you think?

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 09:37:34 PM »
I usually cook my chicken, whole or pieces, with the lid down on high.  But I use a mesh lid, so the solid lid is open, with the mesh lid on with a high setting.  I always have used the baskets, etc. and my chicken comes out good.  I want to try solid lid down, on high, with a spatchcocked chicken on the top SRG grate.  I wondered if the chicken would cook with too high heat this way, and the chicken would burn?  It looks like that is not the experience with others.  What do you think?

I have done leg quarters using my method with no issues so I would think you would be good with a spatchcocked bird. Just remember when choosing a rub that the SRG does tend to burn sugars.

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 09:13:27 AM »
Yes,isnt that amazing???? I had nice grill line patterns on em,soooo dang good!Mine read about 170-180 and as you say,MOIST.Crazy!

Looks like I need to add wings to the srg,any wing tips (LOL,not the shoes Ralph  :D) we should know? Dry or sauced?

I take the lazy way - straight from the fridge or freezer, put them on the racks in the basket (I can get a family pack per batch.) SRG on high - then use a mesh lid. Usually 45 minutes to an hour - they are ready. Then I make a couple different sauces and toss them in whichever sauce my family or friends want. Must be good because they keep coming back for more. :)
Member #

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 12:14:16 PM »
Cookie, I cook with the lid down, but you have to watch it because as you surmise it does get hot under there.  I've burnt more than my share of taters by not keeping an eye on 'em.  One time I cooked some potatoes in a basket with the grate on and the lid down...don't ask me why 'cause I ain't got no clue...and they were burnt to a crisp.  Made a hunk of charcoal look medium rare and juicy.

Dee

Offline spuds

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2015, 05:23:09 AM »
Makes a schmuck a chicken pro.These were done on high,lid down, over 30 minutes,flipped twice,then a third time for 5 more minutes to crisp em up.