Author Topic: Best pizza stone for the money?  (Read 2171 times)

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
Best pizza stone for the money?
« Reply #-1 on: August 16, 2014, 12:42:46 PM »
With all this pizza talk I might buy a stone for the Akorn.
Presently use my $12 multipurpose cast iron griddle, works for 12 in pizza or smaller.
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline pz

Re: Best pizza stone for the money?
« on: August 16, 2014, 12:57:47 PM »
I like cast iron. In fact, I never tried a surface I didn't like.

In addition to baking pizzas,  we keep a pizza stone in the conventional oven as a shield from the lower electric element to more evenly cook foods.

We've tried stones like this one with good success. http://www.amazon.com/Laroma-LCS-0815-15-Inch-Pizza-Stone/dp/B0048CLJJC/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1408207804&sr=8-12&keywords=pizza+stone

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 01:27:19 PM »
I bought a cheap one from Canadian Tire store a few years back. It's only 12 inch but for the money (28 bucks) works real good. It also fits on my TBE

Bottom, I like this side better

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 01:43:18 PM »
Pizza stones work good but take some time to get up to temp and can be fragile. Because they are thick and retain heat they work well.

Pizza steels come up to temp very quickly and are not fragile. They do lose more heat when the dough is placed onto it however because they are not thick like a stone. But they recover very quickly.

Cast iron is great also except for it is very heavy. Great heat retention however.

I suggest a good pizza steel. Get a 1/2 inch. That way you get the durability of steel and the heat retention of a stone.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 05:06:58 PM »
This is the steel I use in my oven - http://bakingsteel.com/shop/the-big/. It does take some time to get hot (it is very thick.) It is also very heavy - about 30 pounds - but if I drop it, it won't break (of course, the wood floor or my toe WILL break...  ??? ??? ???)

It does a better job of making a good crust in my oven than any pizza stone has done (I've tried several from the cheap to expensive.) The limitation is still the temp my oven can hit and hold - the steel does hold heat very well, but it can't manufacture heat. That's why I am looking forward to the Uuni.

However, for a cooking surface in my oven for pizza, bread, and other meals this is hard to beat (and lift...  ;) ;D)
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #