Author Topic: It’s Here!!!  (Read 3470 times)

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
It’s Here!!!
« Reply #-1 on: August 21, 2014, 08:45:32 PM »
My Uuni 2 arrived today. 

Here it is, assembled.  It actually took longer to remove the protective coating from the stainless steel that to assemble the whole thing.

I wanted to make sure it worked okay, so I bought a pre-made crust and put some store-bought sauce on it.  My wife wanted to know if we (really meaning “I”) could make my own crust like I used to do years ago.  Next time, dear.

Time to layer it up with some diced sweet onion, sliced black olives and mushrooms.

A little store-bought pep added to the top.

Got to have some cheese.

Ready to serve.

There was a definite smokey wood flavor (I used pecan after burning it in using the supplied pellets).  Actually for a “store-bought type pizza”, it was okay.  At least the beer was cold. 

I need some advice from those who have used their Uuni 2 a bit.  How should I adjust the the feed tube to control the temperature better?  I had either a roaring fire coming out of both ends of the unit or a relatively “cool” cooking temperature when the pellets burned down so quickly.  The pizza could have been hotter, but I was afraid to get too carried away.  It may take a few tries to understand the “sweet spot” for the best temperature.  That’s okay.  I have plenty of beer.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: It’s Here!!!
« on: August 21, 2014, 08:57:00 PM »
Looks like a great start to me Art!

Maybe you should put on a toga , and tape cinnamon buns on your ears...and cry out: "Help me muebe-wan-kenobi....you're my only hope!" ;D :D 8)

He will pop up with his light saber and solve the problems ;)....and drink your beer of course :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline hikerman

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 09:02:18 PM »
Congrats Art!   I think you gotta get one of those Chef Boy Ardee hats!   Looks like you and Mrs Art have pizzas in your future!
In the famous words of Jackie Gleason, " And Away We Go!"   :D

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
It’s Here!!!
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 09:06:22 PM »
Congrats on the new toy Art.. I'm sure Mike will be along to offer all the advice you need
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 10:11:03 PM »
Who wants a cooker that perfect on the first cook ::)
Lots of the fun is making corrections & getting the cooker dialed im 8)
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 10:27:19 PM »
Art it looks like your fire was not hot enough and when making wood fired pizzas you need to go easy on the toppings because they cook a pizza in 2 to 4 minutes.

Now I have only used my Uuni 2 a couple times myself. Once for two pizzas and another to sear a couple of pork chops so I am still learning.

The initial fire is important as is the height of the pellet feed tube. The higher the tube the hotter the fire. The more pellets your start with the hotter the initial fire will be then the tube will feed pellets and maintain the fire size depending on how high the tube is.

Here is a picture of how high my tube is...

Now here is how I light my fire on the Uuni 2

1. I fill the pellet tray up with 2 handle scoops of pellets

2. I slide in the pellet tray 3/4 in leaving partially exposed to hit it with my MAPP gas torch

3. After hitting it for about 30 seconds I get it to sustain a flame. Then slide it into place.

4. Leave it be for a few minutes with the pellet hopper lid removed. Put the front panel in place.

5. When you place the pellet hopper lid in place this will start the drafting from the chimney and pull the flame across the pellets. Give it a few more minutes.

6. Now that you have a strong fire you can slowly add pellets to the hopper tube. Try not to dump them too quickly and put out the fire. Once loaded with pellets place the hopper lid back on. Give it a few more minutes to get good and hot.

The original Uuni was a little bit faster to start because the fan creates a draft and with the new Uuni 2 you have to wait for the natural drafting to begin. This requires that the chimney is hot. As the hot air rises it actually pulls more air with it creating a draft. I used to get my Uuni ready to cook in about 12 minutes. The Uuni 2 seems to be more in the 16 minute range. But it does not use as much pellets as the first Uuni.

And when cooking a pizza in it you gotta be quick. When it is up to full temp. I find that the 1st minute sets the pizza then I do a quarter turn every thirty seconds. My pizzas are done in no more than 4 minutes. But they are also thinner crust and light on the toppings.

It will take a little practice but once you get it down you will be cranking out quality pies ;)

Tim has my number so you have my permission to get it from him and give me a call if you want me to walk you through it or if you have more questions.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 10:38:16 PM »
Dang, nice toy and nice looking pies
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline pz

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 10:50:09 PM »
That's a beautiful oven, Art!

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 11:26:28 PM »
Mike,
Thanks for the input.  I value your opinion.  I just happen to have another crust to "play" with.  I'll give your recommendations a try and get back to you. 

I'll talk to the Tee-meister tomorrow and get your number.  He has already asked me to bring my new toy to the beach when we go to the Outer Banks in early September.  Seems he wants to do a side-by-side comparison.  I better get this baby dialed-in soon.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 11:26:40 PM »
I'd say it's a dang good first try :D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 01:22:59 AM »
Looks like a great start to me Art!

Maybe you should put on a toga , and tape cinnamon buns on your ears...and cry out: "Help me muebe-wan-kenobi....you're my only hope!" ;D :D 8)

lol, you mean.  funny but mean.  I think the pizza looks great art.  nice 1st pie partner.   :)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 02:07:13 AM »
Art, I wouldn't know how much better that pizza could have turned out. It looks perfect to me. And really delicious. Congrats on your new toy.

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2014, 02:17:10 AM »
Art, I wouldn't know how much better that pizza could have turned out. It looks perfect to me. And really delicious. Congrats on your new toy.
I concur,plate me please! :P
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2014, 07:55:05 AM »
Congrats on your new toy Art! You bringing it to the Gathering?
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2014, 08:50:48 AM »
Congrats on your new toy Art! You bringing it to the Gathering?

Maybe.  It depends on how much "stuff" Tim is bringing.  I'm not pulling a trailer!!

Art
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 04:18:15 PM by ACW3 »
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11