Author Topic: Good and bad oils,what we NOW know,not what you were taught!  (Read 1936 times)

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
Good and bad oils,what we NOW know,not what you were taught!
« Reply #-1 on: September 05, 2014, 02:02:17 PM »
What you probably know about fat and oils is WRONG.Big story on why that is,but I wont go into it here(can you say AGENDA?)

Suffice to say,trans fat are BAD (they got that right) and animal are GOOD (bad science on that,now proven wrong that they are bad,they are GOOD for you,new science regarding cholesterol and dense vrs newly discovered fluffy cholesterol has turned the conventional bad take on animal fats upside down)

This is a very good article,I only included parts vrs whole article for copyright reasons,if you want to learn what is good for you,this article is a big learning tool.

http://authoritynutrition.com/healthy-cooking-oils/

Good....Coconut oil also has powerful health benefits. It is particularly rich in a fatty acid called Lauric Acid, which can improve cholesterol and help kill bacteria and other pathogens (2, 3, 4).

The fats in coconut oil can also boost metabolism slightly and increase feelings of fullness compared to other fats. It is the only cooking oil that made it to my list of superfoods (5, 6, 7).
--------------------
Real butter is good for you and actually fairly nutritious.

It contains Vitamins A, E and K2. It is also rich in the fatty acids Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA) and Butyrate, both of which have powerful health benefits.

CLA may lower body fat percentage in humans and butyrate can fight inflammation, improve gut health and has been shown to make rats completely resistant to becoming obese (12, 13, 14, 15, 16).
-------------------------------------
Olive oil is well known for its heart healthy effects and is believed to be a key reason for the health benefits of the mediterranean diet.

Some studies show that olive oil can improve biomarkers of health.

It can raise HDL (the good) cholesterol and lower the amount of oxidized LDL cholesterol circulating in your bloodstream (17, 18).
--------------------------
Animal Fats – Lard, Tallow, Bacon Drippings-Tell your cardiologist to stuff it if he/she is telling you they are bad,they need an updated education!
--------------------------------
Fish oil is very rich in the animal form of Omega-3 fatty acids, which are DHA and EPA. A tablespoon of fish oil can satisfy your daily need for these very important fatty acids.
=======================

Bad oils....

Canola oil needs to go through very harsh processing methods before it is turned into the final product.

Check out this video to see how canola oil is made. It is very disgusting and involves the toxic solvent hexane (among others) – I personally don’t think these oils are suitable for human consumption.
-------------------------------
Seed- and Vegetable Oils

Vegetable Oils

Industrial seed and vegetable oils are highly processed, refined products that are way too rich in Omega-6 fatty acids.

Not only should you not cook with them, you should probably avoid them altogether.

These oils have been wrongly considered “heart-healthy” by the media and many nutrition professionals in the past few decades.

However, new data links these oils with many serious diseases, including heart disease and cancer (21, 22, 23).

Avoid all of them:

Soybean Oil
    Corn Oil
    Cottonseed Oil
    Canola Oil
    Rapeseed Oil
    Sunflower Oil
    Sesame Oil
    Grapeseed Oil
    Safflower Oil
    Rice Bran Oil

One study also looked at common vegetable oils on food shelves in the U.S. market and discovered that they contain between 0.56 to 4.2% trans fats, which are highly toxic (24).

« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 02:15:55 PM by spuds »
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline hikerman

Re: Good and bad oils,what we NOW know,not what you were taught!
« on: September 05, 2014, 02:06:32 PM »
Excellent info here Spuds!  Thank you for posting it!  ;D

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 02:11:55 PM »
Thanks Carl, really good info ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 02:56:28 PM »
Good stuff.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 03:04:41 PM »
Thanks spuds for the great info. ;)

I'm currently reading "Burn The Fat Feed The Muscle" by Tom Venuto, very interesting subject about nutrition in his book too.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 03:10:56 PM »
Good post, I think you have it mostly right now. If you research a certain oil and find it lauded for health benefits the study was probably paid for by the producers of the oil! Like you show most all of the seed oils are not good for you. When researching oil for seasoning cast iron I settled on grape seed oil and also read it was good for you. I used it some in my cooking but then found it was bad for you.

I still use it for seasoning the cast iron but do not cook with it. For years I have used mostly all Extra Light Olive oil to cook with and use it instead of veggie oil to bake.

Whoever reads this note that butter is good for you! Some in here think I use too much butter! ;D Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline spuds

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 03:19:45 PM »
Was reading most grapeseed oil goes thru the same chemical process the canola goes thru,and shortening is made from canola wax waste that looks like the sludge in pipes,disgusting!Added with hexane,alkalie,and bleach,then made into shortening,plus canola uses 'a chemical' to remove the odor?????! Give me tallow,lard,butter,GOOD saturated fat thats now proven NOT to be heart unhealthy at all.Unlike the false claim on the canola industry video. Canola also has the high omega6 to omega 3 ratio,which is bad,and appears in processed veggie oils.3 is good,6 is not.

Watch the canola video and see if you want to eat veggie oils,and read the comments.

Yup,I cured my pans with grapeseed too,unless I find cold pressed its outta here too.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline spuds

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 03:27:25 PM »

Whoever reads this note that butter is good for you! Some in here think I use too much butter! ;D Don

It sure is,and margerine is horrible. The other truth is saturated fat is NOT the killer it was ASSUMED to be,actual studies have now debunked that.

When I hear....my cardiologist says its bad,understand this. Drs are very busy,they dont have time to surf the web,not if they want any sort of family life.Their education after med school comes from drug company 'continuing ed' which is a 1 or 2 hour pretty dam nice lunch with a video. Or from the drug reps selling a product......folks, thats really how it is. Drs tend to be very behind on any research that didnt come from 'industry' with obvious agendas and a financial backing lurking in the background.

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 03:47:19 PM »

It sure is,and margerine is horrible. The other truth is saturated fat is NOT the killer it was ASSUMED to be,actual studies have now debunked that.

When I hear....my cardiologist says its bad,understand this. Drs are very busy,they dont have time to surf the web,not if they want any sort of family life.Their education after med school comes from drug company 'continuing ed' which is a 1 or 2 hour pretty dam nice lunch with a video. Or from the drug reps selling a product......folks, thats really how it is. Drs tend to be very behind on any research that didnt come from 'industry' with obvious agendas and a financial backing lurking in the background.

Very good point, a little saturated fat in our diet is actually healthy, just don't go over board.   The leading causes of CHD is being over-weight, diabetes, poor nutrition, sedentary lifestyle, high blood pressure, smoking, and heavy use of alcohol. 
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline spuds

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 04:04:05 PM »
Spot on Ralph! And obesity is a HUGE HUGE killer. :o ??? The part I find scary is how its expanding at such a rapid pace,wow!!Up 50% in 10 years??????!!!!!
==================
Obesity now accounts for 9.1% of all medical spending, up from 6.5% in 1998. Overall, an obese patient has $4,871 in medical bills a year compared with $3,442 for a patient at a healthy weight.

"Obesity is the single biggest reason for the increase in health care costs," says Eric Finkelstein, a health economist with RTI and lead researcher on the new study. "If you really want to rein in health care dollars, you have to get people dieting, exercising and living a healthier lifestyle. Otherwise somebody is going to be paying for treating these weight-related illnesses."(Yeah,like the patient who will get these diseases,YIKES!)

The study was presented Monday at Weight of the Nation, a meeting sponsored by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to discuss ways to reduce obesity and inactivity.

House and Senate bills to overhaul the nation's health system both include money for community programs to prevent obesity.

Obesity increases the risk of heart disease, diabetes, several types of cancer and other diseases.

About 34% of adults — more than 72 million — in the USA were obese in 2006, up from 23% in 1994
, according to government data. Two-thirds of people in this country are overweight or obese.

Americans who are 30 or more pounds over a healthy weight cost the country an estimated $147 billion in weight-related medical bills in 2008, double the amount a decade ago, according to a study by government scientists and the non-profit research group RTI International.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 04:17:34 PM by spuds »

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 04:04:58 PM »

Very good point, a little saturated fat in our diet is actually healthy, just don't go over board.   The leading causes of CHD is being over-weight, diabetes, poor nutrition, sedentary lifestyle, high blood pressure, smoking, and heavy use of alcohol.
Darn it Cajun I was happy but the last three things there I am a little guilty of!  ::) Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline spuds

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2014, 04:10:00 PM »
I lost 50 lbs(still losing too by watching how much I eat and a few other minor diet choices,woohoo!) and cut my blood pressure medicines in half.Next year its no more smoking,bet I get off the BP meds?

Im done with making stupid lifestyle choices,and Im cleaning up my act,dying in a hospital with a preventable disease is a horrible way to go.

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2014, 04:41:13 PM »
This fellow helped me to quit smoking, it has been the easiest ;D

http://www.vanceromane.com
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2014, 05:22:25 PM »
Thanks for the very informative post Spuds! I need to have my wife read this. She keeps asking me why I buy real butter instead
of margarine. Because it is better for you and I like it!  ;)
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2014, 05:46:06 PM »
Good thread Spuds!

If you can post any links to cite your research it is helpful for everyone wanting to earn and explore options.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401