Author Topic: Good and bad oils,what we NOW know,not what you were taught!  (Read 1935 times)

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
Re: Good and bad oils,what we NOW know,not what you were taught!
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2014, 05:58:13 PM »

Very good point, a little saturated fat in our diet is actually healthy, just don't go over board.   The leading causes of CHD is being over-weight, diabetes, poor nutrition, sedentary lifestyle, high blood pressure, smoking, and heavy use of alcohol.
Darn it Cajun I was happy but the last three things there I am a little guilty of!  ::) Don

Don...You're doing better than me, I've been guilty of all seven deadly sins.  :-[
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2014, 06:48:52 PM »
Good thread Spuds!

If you can post any links to cite your research it is helpful for everyone wanting to learn and explore options.
The article has lots of links on oils studies.For fats,google fluffy cholesterol,very interesting topic.

I cant say Im right,but I can offer up others who are more qualified that I follow.Apparently we need to know a lot more about cholesterol than what weve been taught,that seems really wrong now.

------------------------------------------
http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA400283/questioning-cholesterol

You may not know that LDL ("bad") cholesterol comes in two main forms - small, dense particles and large, fluffy ones. Dr. Devries explains that the small ones are the dangerous ones - because of their size, they're much more likely to get stuck in coronary arteries while the big, fluffy ones just roll on through. The size of your LDL particles has a strong genetic basis. Dr. Devries recommends that anyone at increased risk of heart disease have tests for LDL particle size: best results are those that show you have few particles and that they're big and fluffy.
---------------
http://life.gaiam.com/article/why-cholesterol-may-not-be-cause-heart-disease

If you are a healthy woman with high cholesterol, there is no proof that taking statins reduces your risk of heart attack or death.[iii]

If you are a man or a woman over 69 years old with high cholesterol, there is no proof that taking statins reduces your risk of heart attack or death.[iv]

Aggressive cholesterol treatment with two medications (Zocor and Zetia) lowered cholesterol much more than one drug alone, but led to more plaque build up in the arteries and no fewer heart attacks.[v]

75 percent of people who have heart attacks have normal cholesterol

Older patients with lower cholesterol have higher risk of death than those with higher cholesterol.[vi]

Countries with higher average cholesterol than Americans, such as the Swiss or Spanish, have less heart disease.
============================================
Drew,thank you for the smoking link! I will explore it fuller,but I think Im just going to stop.Im good and PO'ed about cigs,and getting me ticked off is very good at getting me to do something about it.And Im hopping mad at smokes now.

HOS- so true about butter,there is endless on web of its health attributes.And what slop margarine is.And its OK to eat eggs again,gotta love it! And red meat isnt killing us,what a concept! Nice thats there's now REAL studies to back it up,and not assumptions that were given governmental stamp of approval in the past without scientific studies.

Ralph-7 deadly sins,LOL! Been up to 5-6.down to 3 and think 1 is possible with any luck.And life will be even better,not any sacrifice at all.Eh?

Tee,it boils down a lot at looking at how the food pyramid was set in the first place,and seeing what a bunch of agenda went into it,and how any evidence to contrary was ignored,and those who tried to submit actual studies were marginalized or even fired if they wouldnt pull the party line (IE,this guidelines' chairman is from the oils industry,wanna bet butter/animal fat is bad for you?That happened)

Or another one,led by a radical vegan(Food Pyramid),wanna bet all meat and meat products are bad for you(saturated fats),and no science contradicting it allowed....Dr who tried to present studies, when he wouldnt shut up and accept her biased agenda vegetarian driven policy, was FIRED!,IT HAPPENED!

See the food pyramid and its emphasis on grain and death to meat recommendations.Which also graphically yearly obesity goes up as our eating habits change... lock step with the obesity epidemic.FWIW,but I find that very telling myself.

In fact the high carb/low protein diet of the food pyramid has been a dismal failure!40+ years of that diet,40+ years of increasing obesity and a diabetic crisis.It may not be the total cause,but it surely isnt a non cause either,the graphs overlap almost to a tee. :o

Me,I go with saturated fats arent death,meat and eggs arent killers,and arent the cause of heart disease or obesity,as we are now finding out.Again,ACTUAL studies are now out there.Not ASSUMPTIONS as in the past,ie,cholesterol in arteries is bad=eating cholesterol is bad,NOT TRUE!,but put into our food policies nonetheless

Thats the thing... you have to start with researching what is or isnt good for us,its a bad system that set these standards.NOW actual studies are showing the truth,and we need to change our thinking and clear out the propaganda/agendas we were fed.Since the 1960's! That takes a lot of mind clearing and learning,and evaluating it ALL to reach new conclusions.
======================
Anywho,back on oils topic,if nothing more thats some good info for us all.The other health stuff,should be another thread on 'what is healthy eating?' These threads get so off track so fast dont want to lose the main point,its good advice on oils.

I'll shut up now,want to hear what others think and do.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 07:23:25 PM by spuds »
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2014, 11:42:34 PM »
More on HEALTHY fat
----------------------
Whole article here....
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/02/health/low-carb-vs-low-fat-diet.html

Many nutritionists and health authorities have “actively advised against” low-carbohydrate diets, said the lead author of the new study, Dr. Lydia A. Bazzano of the Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine. “It’s been thought that your saturated fat is, of course, going to increase, and then your cholesterol is going to go up,” she said. “And then bad things will happen in general.”

The new study showed that was not the case.

By the end of the yearlong trial, people in the low-carbohydrate group had lost about eight pounds more on average than those in the low-fat group. They had significantly greater reductions in body fat than the low-fat group, and improvements in lean muscle mass — even though neither group changed their levels of physical activity.

While the low-fat group did lose weight, they appeared to lose more muscle than fat.

“They actually lost lean muscle mass, which is a bad thing,” Dr. Mozaffarian said. “Your balance of lean mass versus fat mass is much more important than weight. And that’s a very important finding that shows why the low-carb, high-fat group did so metabolically well.............”

In the end, people in the low-carbohydrate group saw markers of inflammation and triglycerides — a type of fat that circulates in the blood — plunge. Their HDL, the so-called good cholesterol, rose more sharply than it did for people in the low-fat group...........

Two people can have the same overall LDL concentration, but very different levels of risk depending on whether they have a lot of small, dense LDL particles or a small number of large and fluffy particles.

Eating refined carbohydrates tends to raise the overall number of LDL particles and shift them toward the small, dense variety, which contributes to atherosclerosis. Saturated fat tends to make LDL particles larger, more buoyant and less likely to clog arteries, at least when carbohydrate intake is not high, said Dr. Ronald M. Krauss, the former chairman of the American Heart Association’s dietary guidelines committee.

Small, dense LDL is the kind typically found in heart patients and in people who have high triglycerides, central obesity and other aspects of the so-called metabolic syndrome, said Dr. Krauss, who is also the director of atherosclerosis research at Children’s Hospital Oakland Research Institute.

Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.