Author Topic: Starting small with Cast Iron  (Read 8460 times)

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
Starting small with Cast Iron
« Reply #-1 on: September 12, 2014, 04:23:27 PM »
Y'all have piqued my curiosity with the cast iron cooking (I have a Lodge dutch oven, but it's the ceramic coated kind), so I decided to test the waters with a set of small cast iron pans I found on Amazon for $30, and a couple small jars of coconut oil just to get started. 

The pans say they're pre-seasoned, but I'm going to go ahead and do the seasoning process anyway for good measure.   There is a 6 1/2", 8 1/2" and 10 1/2"  (basically xx small, xsmall and small)  so I'm going to try them out with some things and get a little practice before going for a "real" skillet.  I figure at $10 each, if all else fails I can hang them on the wall, and James will be able to judge how pissed off I am by which size I grab to whollop him with.  ??? 

I also cracked open the coconut oil and put some on as lotion...  Only problem is my dang pups won't quit licking my feet and elbows long enough for any to soak in!!  Sure does smell good, though, and I'm excited to try it for cooking.  Thinking I'll use the tiny tiny skillet to cook an egg in coconut oil for breakfast this weekend.   

MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
Re: Starting small with Cast Iron
« on: September 12, 2014, 05:47:53 PM »
Very good Kat! ;)
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline hikerman

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 05:57:21 PM »
Nice grab Kat!  We love to take our cast iron camping. There's nothing like a good hearty breakfast out of them in the bush!

Offline spuds

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 05:59:11 PM »
Besides,cant be a homesteader without it. :)

Its rule #7 IIRC.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 07:39:00 PM by spuds »
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 07:32:48 PM »
You will love the CI.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 01:06:23 AM »
Nice Kat!!! I think you will like the cast iron. That's about all I use anymore, seasoned good they are as easy to clean or more so than non stick stuff. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 06:36:31 AM »
Never seen that brand before,
Cast Iron is the best, very addictive cookware.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 07:00:07 AM »
Kat you are going to love cooking with cast iron. When properly seasoned cast iron is just as non stick as any teflon coated pan and does not release PFCs when heated to high heat. A regular teflon pan releases PFCs when heated. It will kill pet birds in your home! That is why people who own pet birds do not use teflon coated cookware in their homes.

You can go right from the stove top to your oven with cast iron. Try that with regular cookware ;)

No need to worry about using special utensils or being easy on cast iron. Get rough! They can take it. Durable and scratch proof!

And as you cook with them there is small amounts of iron added to your food. This is good for your health. There are many Americans with iron deficiencies.

Just never wash them with soap and water. They will provide you with centuries of use!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline RAD

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 08:11:55 AM »
I use them every day, literally. I fry two eggs every morning for breakfast. No butter, no oil, no spray, just the pan and heat. I wash mine using a dish brush and hot water. No SOAP ever.
Love to cook and eat

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2014, 10:44:10 AM »
Once you get the hang of cooking with CI you'll be addicted to it and there is no 12 step recovery program for CI addiction either so be careful.  :P
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline N. Ontario Smoker

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2014, 11:17:25 AM »
I've got a large cast iron pan, but with my carpel tunnel syndrome it sure hurts to carry it in from the BBQ. I seasoned it about 8 times, so now it is like glass. Can't live without it.
"Vegetarian" is an old Indian word for bad hunter.

Fred

Offline spuds

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2014, 12:24:18 PM »
I use them every day, literally. I fry two eggs every morning for breakfast. No butter, no oil, no spray, just the pan and heat. I wash mine using a dish brush and hot water. No SOAP ever.
YUP!! 8)

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2014, 12:51:28 PM »
Bare CI is reactive so don't use it to make anything that is acidic (tomato soup or sauces).  I use enameled CI for those types of dishes.

When I make gumbo I'll make the roux in bare CI and after the seasoning blend has been added to the roux I transfer to enameled CI for the rest of the cook. 
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2014, 01:59:05 PM »
Great pointers, everyone!!    I'm actually going to return that particular set--  pz checked out the brand, and alerted me to the fact they're made in China, and have had some very negative reviews on a few sites!   I only did a cursory glance through when I bought them on Amazon, and hadn't noticed any comments on where they were manufactured-- but sure enough, it does say on the label that they're made in China.   Might drop Amazon a note that they might include that in the item description just for clarity. 

Figure I'll use the $30 to get one medium sized one domestically made and not risk it.  No sense in cooking all sorts of farm raised foods in it if there's a chance it'll be leaching something other than just iron into the foods.

So a little delay on the inaugural cook-- but we've been enjoying the coconut oil already!   James fried up some plain green tomatoes in the coconut oil last night and was just over the moon in love with them.  :) 
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline Old Hickory

• Creston, Ca. Member #52
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2014, 02:16:09 PM »
Cast iron is my favorite cooking utensil.  I have a rather large collection, Lodge is my favorite brand, made in South Pittsburg, Tennessee.  Most of my collection has been handed down in the family.  I have some that came from my Great Grandmother that are over 100 yr.'s old and still cooking.  The skillets are like a portable griddle especially over gas or wood stove.  You will definitely enjoy the results cooking with cast Iron.  I look forward to seeing some of your cooks.  Glad you dumped the ones from China, smart move.   
Char-broil SRG
Bradley 4DS w/ dual elem mod, PID
Charmglow 5 burner pgg w/rotisserie
Weber Kettle w/rotisserie
Pit Barrel Cooker
Cuisinart TOF-60