Author Topic: Lodge Carbon Steel Skillets  (Read 4391 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Lodge Carbon Steel Skillets
« Reply #-1 on: December 10, 2014, 01:33:29 PM »
Dec 10 2014

I wanted a carbon steel skillet to use, I remember my Mom used to have one and can remember her using it for bacon and eggs. I bought a cheap imported 9 inch skillet and used it. Within a few months it warped and would not set level on my glass top range.

I already had some Lodge’s cast iron ware and saw they now make some carbon steel skillets. I bought a 10 inch one over a year ago. After using it I ordered the 12 inch too. I have used both over a year now and they are my everyday skillets and get weekly use. They show no warping yet. They are a little thicker than most carbon steel ware but still a lot lighter to handle than the cast iron.

They come pre-seasoned and have held up well. I think they cook as well as cast iron and cleanup is the same.  They are only about 1 ½ inches deep so if I need deeper I use my cast iron.

Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline hikerman

Re: Lodge Carbon Steel Skillets
« on: December 10, 2014, 03:03:12 PM »
Don, about 5 or 6 years ago I bought a set  ( 8" - 10" -12" ) of de Buyer mineral pans which are 99% iron.They are 2-3mm thick. I absolutely love cooking with these pans and like cast iron they get better with use. They are virtually non-stick at this point but without the chemical coatings. They can take extremely high heats without fear of warpage. Nice for searing meats!

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 03:05:32 PM »
Nice set of pans Don!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Pappymn

Lodge Carbon Steel Skillets
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 03:15:51 PM »
Thanks SD!
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 04:36:12 PM »
Great info! Thanks Don and Gene!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 04:54:29 PM »
Somewhere in storage I have an old steel skillet that is at least 24 inches in diameter and has a ring where you would hang it inside those old fireplaces. I have been told it is from the 1700's or 1800's. I need to take a picture and post it. It is one of those things I will never use but wanted to have.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 06:27:26 PM »
... one of those things I will never use but wanted to have.

In the charitable and generous spirit of the season, I will refrain from going where this might otherwise take us.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 07:12:52 PM »
Somewhere in storage I have an old steel skillet that is at least 24 inches in diameter and has a ring where you would hang it inside those old fireplaces. I have been told it is from the 1700's or 1800's. I need to take a picture and post it. It is one of those things I will never use but wanted to have.
2P.. I have a 20.5 inch steel pan about 3-4 inches deep..we use ti all the time at  the campground. Made in Cincinnati..oh..and Go BUCKS  Pam   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 08:52:02 PM »
Great review Don't and Gene, thanks for sharing.   ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 12:48:43 AM »
Don, about 5 or 6 years ago I bought a set  ( 8" - 10" -12" ) of de Buyer mineral pans which are 99% iron.They are 2-3mm thick. I absolutely love cooking with these pans and like cast iron they get better with use. They are virtually non-stick at this point but without the chemical coatings. They can take extremely high heats without fear of warpage. Nice for searing meats!
Those are nice Gene and top of the line from what I read, the lodge are a lot cheaper to own. Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2014, 12:49:57 AM »
If you can find it give us a pic Ken would like to see it! Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi

Offline hikerman

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2014, 10:18:08 AM »
Those are nice Gene and top of the line from what I read, the lodge are a lot cheaper to own. Don

Don, we got a steal when we got this set. They were on sale for 130.00, had a 20% off certificate, and one of the kids gave us a 50.00 gift certificate for Christmas. So our out of pocket cost was 54.00 for very good pans that will last a lifetime!

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2014, 10:42:03 AM »

Don, we got a steal when we got this set. They were on sale for 130.00, had a 20% off certificate, and one of the kids gave us a 50.00 gift certificate for Christmas. So our out of pocket cost was 54.00 for very good pans that will last a lifetime!

And you managed not doing any time for this robbery!!! :P
That's a great deal.  ;)
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline hikerman

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2014, 11:21:28 AM »

That's a great deal.  ;)

Uh, do you mean charged .....or prosecuted? No we were not prosecuted!   Lol

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2014, 12:17:26 PM »

That's a great deal.  ;)

Uh, do you mean charged .....or prosecuted? No we were not prosecuted!   Lol

Pays to know the prosecutor...Huh!!!  :P :P :P
----------------------