Author Topic: Thermowand digital thermometer  (Read 9917 times)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Thermowand digital thermometer
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2014, 11:41:29 AM »
I love my Thermapen and IMHO it is worth every penny! It is well made, feels solid, and dead accurate. When it comes to proper temps and cooking I would rather spend an extra $30 to get something that will not need to be replaced or fail. And if it somehow does I know that Thermoworks will right the wrong immidiately!

It is tough to find anything today that is very well made. Things are not made to last. Water heaters only last about 10 years now. I still see older water heaters with 30 years still working. And when things fail the parts are so expensive they aren't even worth repiairing. A new car with air bags can be junked because the air bags cost too much to replace.

So when I find a reliable product... Whatever it is... I stick with it. And Thermoworks has me as a lifetime customer!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2014, 12:35:15 PM »
Well said muebe, after many years of using elcheapo thermometers I finally splurged on a Thermapen and only regretted that I didn't do it sooner. It is worth every penny spent because in the long run you'll spend more money replacing the cheap ones.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline hikerman

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2014, 01:01:06 PM »
Agree totally Ralph and Mike. Thermopen is a great product and buying one product that is of high quality and is backed by the manufacturer is far better than repeatedly buying the same thing over and over with a lesser priced, lesser quality item.  8)

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2014, 02:06:53 PM »
Agree totally Ralph and Mike. Thermopen is a great product and buying one product that is of high quality and is backed by the manufacturer is far better than repeatedly buying the same thing over and over with a lesser priced, lesser quality item.  8)

I do believe that's the definition of insanity.  ;)
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline hikerman

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2014, 02:11:52 PM »

I do believe that's the definition of insanity.  ;)

You are correct sir!

Offline Wingman

• Central Maine
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2014, 03:39:52 PM »
My philosophy has always been that if you make the very best of anything there will be a market for it because there are people who want the best of whatever it is and are willing to pay for it.  Thermapen is the gold standard of cooking thermometers.  It is never compared to other thermometers; others are compared to it.  And I, for one, will pay its price. 
"You will thank us for smoking."

Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Spirit E310
Weber Performer Premium
MAK 1 Star #184
Bradley OBS #968,312

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2014, 04:25:52 PM »
I haven't splurged on a Thermopen just yet, but I've got their less expensive 5-second ThermoPop, which works wonderfully too-- and at $25, it's great quality in the budget range.     
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline Pappymn

Thermowand digital thermometer
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2014, 04:38:17 PM »

I haven't splurged on a Thermopen just yet, but I've got their less expensive 5-second ThermoPop, which works wonderfully too-- and at $25, it's great quality in the budget range.     

I bought my mom the thermopop.....as she way overcooks everything. She needed an intervention
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2014, 05:55:24 PM »

I bought my mom the thermopop.....as she way overcooks everything. She needed an intervention

Sounds like my wife.  Hey wait, am I your dad?  :D
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2014, 07:54:40 PM »
(Hmmmm. this may bring new meaning to the old expression..."Who's your Daddy???" :D ;D ??? ::) )
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2014, 08:36:40 PM »
That reminds me when I took  scuba diving lessons and the wife insisted I get the $7.00 snorkel instead of the $60 snorkel. I damb near drowned :) The expensive snorkel has Ball valves in it so water cant come down the top and a bottom blow out valve.

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2014, 10:31:29 PM »
That reminds me when I took  scuba diving lessons and the wife insisted I get the $7.00 snorkel instead of the $60 snorkel. I damb near drowned :) The expensive snorkel has Ball valves in it so water cant come down the top and a bottom blow out valve.

Did you check to see if she took out an additional life insurance policy on you before your scuba diving lessons? ::) :P
----------------------

Offline RAD

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2015, 11:07:21 AM »
This is why I love this site. I got the go ahead to get a ThermoWorks and saw this one for only $25. So I decided to search LTBBQ to see if anyone had posted anything about the Thermowand and guess what.

Thanks CAPT for the post. I will spend the extra $$ and get the real thing. I have about 10 different thermometers in my BBQ drawer and if I would have gone for ThermoWorks from the start I would have saved money already.
Love to cook and eat

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2015, 01:39:37 PM »
You'll be glad you did, as a happy owner of a Thermapen I can't say enough good about them.  We even gave one to our son for a Christmas present and he is so thrilled about it.  ;)
----------------------

Offline ronman451

• Albuquerque, New Mexico
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2015, 02:36:53 PM »
I really dig my Thermapen. The only minor drawback for me is, as a southpaw, it's a bit awkward to use. I've learned to read upside-down.
Ron

-Memphis Elite
-PBC
-Weber Genesis II
-Weber 26" Kettle