Author Topic: ThermoWorks RT301WA Waterproof Thermometer  (Read 1440 times)

Offline Bacala

ThermoWorks RT301WA Waterproof Thermometer
« Reply #-1 on: December 19, 2014, 03:38:08 PM »
I do not own the ThermoWorks Thermapen, but I have absolutely no doubt that is is the best consumer grade thermometer. After reading the discussion in the other thread I decided to post a review of the RT301WA for those that do not have the desire, or possibly the means to spend just about $100 on a thermometer as a reminder that the rest of us can play on the same field as those that do. The RT301WA is currently on sale at ThermoWorks and Amazon for $16.

I have owned this model for a bit over three years now and I could not recommend it more highly. I can tell you it is dead-on accurate and very fast to read. In fact, if you look at advertised specs, its accuracy is within 2/10ths of a degree, and its read time is within 2 seconds of the Thermapen. I can certainly live with that. I regularly test and calibrate my thermometers, and I have never had to adjust the RT301WA. It has always read exactly 32deg in the ice water bath. Never 1/10th high, or 1/10th low. This thermometer is fully waterproof, so no worries if you accidentally dunk it in something and have to clean it, and it has a battery saving auto-off feature for those like me who regularly forget to turn it off when done. Cook's Illustrated magazine rated this thermometer as a top pick, and as an owner it is not hard to see why.

On the subject of battery life, I want to say that you can disregard the past negative reviews and comments on this. After twice replacing the battery in the first year I owned the RT301WA, I called ThermoWorks and they explained that the first version did indeed "eat" batteries, and they had updated the model's internal circuitry and are now shipping with a better battery. At no cost, they immediately shipped me a replacement and I have yet to have the battery fail in more than two years. Proof again, that this company stands behind its products and is committed to customer service.

If you are not 100% happy with, and confident in the thermometer you are using now you should seriously consider replacing it with this one.

Offline Pappymn

ThermoWorks RT301WA Waterproof Thermometer
« on: December 19, 2014, 04:00:04 PM »
Great write-up. Great company with great service. You can't go wrong giving them your business
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: ThermoWorks RT301WA Waterproof Thermometer
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 12:39:57 PM »
Great review and Thermoworks makes a great product!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
Re: ThermoWorks RT301WA Waterproof Thermometer
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 04:17:58 PM »
Great review, as an owner of their top of the line Thermapen and their less costly slightly slower model, the two are extremely accurate.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)