Author Topic: Pork Butt  (Read 7720 times)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Pork Butt
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2015, 12:33:40 PM »
Awesome! I cut a piece of hd foil for my last cook and forgot to lay it on there. I'll remember eventually.

How's that wood work out for you? Is that all you'll use or will you feed it a few times? I have some hickory, apple and pecan chunks here. I tried out my new smokenator over the weekend with some apple but I couldn't keep the temp down enough. I kind of over smoked everything but truthfully it didn't take much. I think I fed it 3 chunks.  When I did ribs on the PBC Wednesday night I threw one slightly smaller than fist sized chunk of hickory in, but I didn't really notice it flavor-wise. I'll try two chunks of apple about 20 min apart next time.
The ribs were amazing though. And what a color!

I normally don't add wood to the PBC, but yesterday I was feeling a little "smokey". I put two small chunks towards the outside of the coal ring so the meat would not drip on the wood. Came out real nice. I think the "Grease Fog" that the PBC produces from the drippings on the charcoal drown out the wood smoke but then again it might just be another layer of flavor that we might not notice right away on the final product.....
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2015, 01:50:42 PM »
oh ya.  I'm thinking this would be good on a pizza.  nice cook buddy.   8)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline cgseymour

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2015, 02:47:33 PM »
Pulled pork looks great.
I have a question regarding the PBC. 
Is there any advantage to leaving the meat on the grill as opposed to hanging it from the rods?

Just curious.

Thank you
PBC
CharBroil Big Easy
Char-Griller Super Pro w/SFB

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2015, 02:51:58 PM »
Pulled pork looks great.
I have a question regarding the PBC. 
Is there any advantage to leaving the meat on the grill as opposed to hanging it from the rods?

Just curious.

Thank you

The only advantage would be there is no worry of the butt breaking away from the hooks after the stall has been passed. The cooking grate is in the same "sweet-spot" as where the meat would be if hanging by the re-bar. I only use the re-bar for hanging chicken and ribs. This way you can cook a bunch compared to trying to cook way smaller amounts of chix halves and ribs on the grate.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32