Author Topic: Aaron Franklin's cook book  (Read 1967 times)

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
Aaron Franklin's cook book
« Reply #-1 on: June 06, 2015, 08:30:05 AM »
The other day I got a call from a good buddy of mine and he was semi-excited.  It seems he somehow got his hands on a copy of Aaron Franklin's new cookbook.  What's makes this interesting is the book is mainly words, many over three syllables, and few pictures. I never expected this ol' boy to step up his reading level that much.

To make a short story long, this ol' boy has nearly as many cookers as Lowes.  I bet he'll catch 'em in another two years.  He told me he has this one stick burner that he could never get the fire and temperature right and as a result his cooks on it were disappointing.  Well, he read the part of AF's (All of us in the elite BBQ circles call him "AF"...not really. I just got tired of typing "Aaron Franklin") book on how to build a fire and followed it exactly.  The results were it got to the desired temperature and maintained it.

Anyone who has been to a Fall Gathering and saw how Old Dave built and handled his fires would understand the skill required to do it right.

Well, the ol' boy built his fire as instructed in AF's book and cooked a turkey breast according to one of its recipes and he said it was the best turkey breast he had ever eaten.  Now, he says he's going to do his ribs using the techniques in the book. If  he improves his ribs that would be saying something because his ribs now are really outstanding.

The bottom line of all of this is if  you want to step up your cookin' as this good ol' boy did, you may want to check out Aaron Franklin's, aka AF, new book.

Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline RAD

Re: Aaron Franklin's cook book
« on: June 06, 2015, 08:41:17 AM »
What's makes this interesting is the book is mainly words, many over three syllables, and few pictures.

Dee
Did you co-author?  ;D ;D ;D

Amazon has it with prime shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/Franklin-Barbecue-Meat-Smoking-Manifesto-Aaron/dp/1607747200/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1433594280&sr=1-1&keywords=aaron+franklin

Love to cook and eat

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 10:02:27 AM »
I'm the "this ol' boy" Uncle Devious is referring to and I can tell you this book has taken my cookin' on the offset to a whole nother level.  I have struggled for the past 2 years trying to maintain temp and smoke levels, but the last two cooks (since reading this book) have been like a dream come true...like getting a new smoker. 
I watched AF's youtube vids a couple of years ago (a series he did for backyard jack's like me).  He was using the Pecos smoker.  I went out to Academic Sports and bought one - fought it ever since, until I got this book.  Before he tells you how to build and maintain a fire that is easy to control, he gives you a good bit of "scientific" info about fire, combustion, and smoke...sort of lays the groundwork for understanding more about how that fire will work in a smoker.  Anyway, "the light came on" for me. 
The turkey cook lasted over 3  1/2 hours.  The temps held absolutely steady and the smoke was thin & blue throughout.  The result was a great tasting turkey that was moist and tender without even the hint of acrid smoke - almost as if it were cooked inside.
That was Thursday.  Yesterday, being Friday, I wanted to see if I could duplicate my success...this time with ribs.  I followed his technique for them - just used my own rub instead of his.  Again, the temp was consistent and the smoke thin and blue (sometimes invisible) and the ribs took on a nice mahogany color before I wrapped 'em.  Not braggin' here folks, just lettin' you know that with this fire these ribs had NO acrid aftertaste at all...just a nice kiss from the pecan wood I was using. 
My ribs usually turn out okay - some have been very good to me - but there has also been that little hint of creosote or something on the back of the tongue.  NOT ANYMORE! 
The smoker has always had some white smoke - sometimes brown (gag me) - coming from  the stack.  NOT ANYMORE!
I have been given a new lease on my "smokin' " life after reading this book by AF.

There are a number of things I have learned, but 2 made a world of difference:  keep the firebox door opened; use smaller splits.  Yes, it takes a little more attention, but the results are beautiful.

This book is for people who use offset smokers or people who have a love of all things bbq.
The first chapter is the story of how AF got into bbq.  I absolutely could not put it down.  I found him to be a man of humility, hard work, and humor (don't take yourself so seriously, but take your work seriously). 

If you've read this far, just stop reading and get the book.  If you are in anyway disappointed with it, just send it to me and I'll read it for you.

I was gonna add a pic of the smoker, but the message says the file is too large.  I guess you can Google it if you're interested:  http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/old-country-bbq-pits-pecos-coal-smoker/pid-311401

just sayin'...
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 10:24:59 AM »
Makes sense, firebox cracked open...more air......smaller hotter fire.....clean smoke.......  gonna get that book  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 10:43:06 AM »
Makes sense, firebox cracked open...more air......smaller hotter fire.....clean smoke.......  gonna get that book  :)

Not cracked open...full open...use the wood supply to control the heat (page 96).

B T W, Deb bought the BBQ DRAGON for me, too.  That REALLY helps getting the fire going.  I use it, too, when I add a piece of wood - no drop in temp.
http://www.bbqdragon.com/
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 10:50:15 AM by Jaxon »
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2015, 12:19:02 PM »
With the winds up here on the mountain (at least where we live) , I unfortunately cant keep my firebox completely open....... :(
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline okie52

• Edmond OK
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 09:50:45 PM »
I thought the small splits made sense...the door wide open?...that would seem to depend on the wind and target temp.
Traeger Texas Grill w Blazen Grill PID
w/smoke daddy big kajuna
ng converted great outdoors vertical smoker
dcs 24" built in ng grill
50,000 BTU ng side burner
Maverick ET 732
Igrill

Boomer Sooner