Author Topic: My New 10 inch De Buyer Skillet  (Read 4223 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
My New 10 inch De Buyer Skillet
« Reply #-1 on: June 19, 2015, 12:13:23 PM »
Jun 19 2015

I wasted a lot of money buying skillets over the 40 years I have been cooking. Non-stick Teflon was popular and I used them but had to buy new every year or two. My Mother-in-law gave me one of her old cast iron skillets. I used it for a few years but then everything started sticking, not sure if I gave it away or threw it out. I tried re-seasoning it but probably didn’t do it right.

I paid $90 US for a scan pan coated with ceramic. It did a great job for a few years then started sticking more. My next one was a Green-Pan and the same thing it started sticking. Then they had one called Orgreenic that was advertised on TV. My wife asked if I wanted one and I said no. Then she came home with one and said it was only $17 so got it for you. To my surprise it was nonstick and have been using it for over 3 years and it still looks new. We use it mostly for frying a quick egg for breakfast.

I had a cast iron Dutch oven and a bean pot I used a lot and liked them. I then got a Lodge 10 inch pre-seasoned and started using it a lot and really got to love cooking in it. I had a large 12 inch old Lodge skillet that I didn’t use much and gave it to my neighbor to use; he let his daughter and husband use it for camping.

After he died his wife asked if I wanted it back so took it. It was dirty and in bad shape so I read up on how to clean and re-season CI. I cleaned it in my electric oven on self-cleaning mode and it came out like new. I did a six step seasoning on it and came out great. I only use it for outdoor cooking. I then bought and old Wapak hallow ware skillet. I had wanted one for a long time since they were made here in Wapakoneta. It was a little over a pound lighter than my new Lodge skillet. I cleaned and re-seasoned it and it came out like new. It has a slight bow in the bottom so I don’t use it on my glass top stove. I save it for baking cornbread.

Then Lodge came out with some carbon steel skillets. I bought a 10 and 12 inch one; they were pre-seasoned and love them. They are my everyday skillets that I use a lot.

A lot of the members of LTBBQ forum were buying De Buyers mineral B carbon steel skillets. They are not cheap so I held out for a while but finally had to have one. I got a 10 inch skillet for $60. They recommend just one seasoning on the stove top before using so that’s the way I did it.

The only minus thing is it is heavy and the older I get that becomes an important factor. It is a pound lighter than my Lodge 10 inch CI and a pound heavier than my Lodge 10 inch CS skillets. I do like that it is deeper than my Lodge CS. One other thing is my chief bottle washer, my wife, cannot handle them to clean so I have to clean them! They all clean up pretty easy, a quick brushing under hot water and a final scrub with a Scotch blue pad. Just lately I discovered a chain mail for cleaning stuck on food.

The De Buyer skillet is a thing of beauty; well made. It did not take on much color after seasoning. I used it for the first time; I did three batches of jowl bacon in it and then sautéed some onions and garlic. It cooked great and was easy to clean up. I was surprised it did not take on much more color. It looks like it will take a while to develop a nice color and may never get the nice black color of CI.

New Skillet

After seasoning

L to R Lodge CI at 5.25 Lbs., De Buyer CS at 4.25 pounds, Lodge CS at 3.25 pounds

First cooking

Cleaned after the first cook

Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline hikerman

Re: My New 10 inch De Buyer Skillet
« on: June 19, 2015, 12:25:01 PM »
Don they will take on color but it is oh so slow. When I get home from work I'll post a picture of one of my deBuyer pans.
They are about 6 or 7 years old and keep getting better.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 01:13:54 PM »
Whatever happened to SilverStone  ;)    Nice Skillets.....
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 03:47:10 PM »
That is a beautiful pan
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline highball

• South of Seattle
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 03:50:08 PM »
That first cook looks good. When I got my De Buyers mineral pans I got a deal on a 3 piece set, 12", 10", 8"
Weber 26
Blackstone Griddle
Green Egg
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Performer
24" Discada
RT-700 Bull

Best Regards,
 Mike

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 05:59:41 PM »
That first cook looks good. When I got my De Buyers mineral pans I got a deal on a 3 piece set, 12", 10", 8"

Here is a good price - http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/25200-de-buyer-mineral-fry-pan.aspx
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline hikerman

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 06:42:00 PM »
That's where we got our set David. We got a sweet deal, we used a gift certificate,  (Xmas gift) and got 40 % off to boot!

As promised Don,  pics of 8", 10", and 12". After 6 or 7 years they still aren't totally dark but they cook great an best....they let go!

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline highball

• South of Seattle
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 07:05:03 PM »

Here is a good price - http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/25200-de-buyer-mineral-fry-pan.aspx
Yep, that looks like the place I got mine
Weber 26
Blackstone Griddle
Green Egg
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Performer
24" Discada
RT-700 Bull

Best Regards,
 Mike

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 11:18:02 PM »
That's where we got our set David. We got a sweet deal, we used a gift certificate,  (Xmas gift) and got 40 % off to boot!

As promised Don,  pics of 8", 10", and 12". After 6 or 7 years they still aren't totally dark but they cook great an best....they let go!
Thanks for the pics Gene! Look nice! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2015, 01:05:17 AM »
I really like my DeBuyers - I used to be a Calphalon guy... but am slowly moving to just DeBuyers through attrition (more heavy duty, hold the heat, and are less expensive.)

I do have to mention a funny thing, the best "non-stick" pan I have ever found came from IKEA. It won't last long - depending on use probably 2 years at best - but it is cheap. I think the last one I bought was $7.99. It is as slippery as you can get - no nasty toxins (or so they say.) Light weight and you can throw it in the dishwasher. If you use metal utensils it will scratch easily - silicone, plastic, or bamboo only.  While I like and use my DeBuyers, I buy the IKEA pan for my wife and kids - keeps us all on an even keel....  ;) ;D ;D ;D
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline hikerman

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2015, 07:25:58 AM »
Check this out. Article goes on to describe the dangers of "non-stick".

http://m.motherjones.com/environment/2007/05/teflon-forever

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2015, 11:52:11 AM »
Check this out. Article goes on to describe the dangers of "non-stick".

http://m.motherjones.com/environment/2007/05/teflon-forever

Interesting article thanks for the link - good thing my kids prefer to use the grill and my wife rarely cooks!

I do have to say, one of the things I dislike about "corporate fines" is that while they make excellent headlines, they rarely change behavior and the cost is passed on to the consumer. I would prefer the execs be personally fined or somehow penalized.
Member #

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2015, 12:09:37 PM »
Have you ever noticed how many recipes call for cooking various ingredients in a "non-stick" pan? And then go on to tell you to make a pan sauce in that pan? I have never made a good pan sauce in a non-stick pan. The whole point of those pans is to prevent the development of the fond that creates a good pan sauce. Sorry for the aside, but as I was looking at a couple of recipes on line it just hit me.

On the other hand, she wore a glove - oops, my dad's old joke - the DeBuyer is perfect for creating an excellent pan sauce!
Member #

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2015, 05:25:29 PM »

Have you ever noticed how many recipes call for cooking various ingredients in a "non-stick" pan? And then go on to tell you to make a pan sauce in that pan? I have never made a good pan sauce in a non-stick pan. The whole point of those pans is to prevent the development of the fond that creates a good pan sauce. Sorry for the aside, but as I was looking at a couple of recipes on line it just hit me.

On the other hand, she wore a glove - oops, my dad's old joke - the DeBuyer is perfect for creating an excellent pan sauce!

Exactly why I have stopped using my non stick. No fond......no flavor.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109