Author Topic: Update on the Akorn Kamado and Tip Top Temp.  (Read 8608 times)

Offline N. Ontario Smoker

Update on the Akorn Kamado and Tip Top Temp.
« Reply #-1 on: July 13, 2015, 10:56:04 AM »
 Time for my thoughts after using these a lot. The Akorn is a great cooker. It holds temps very well and I've had it from 225 to 700 degrees. Moist ribs, brisket, pork butts to crispy chicken and seared steaks. I've done them all without any problems. I can highly recommend it. Not being ceramic it is a lot lighter so my wife can open the lid. (couldn't on the ceramic). So now she can do the basting while I open the beer. The only con I found is the cast iron grate is heavy and awkward to remove. I dropped mine and broke a piece off of it. Still works ok but I'm getting a custom stainless one made.

The Tip Top Temp.....

This little gadget is awesome. It controls the temps great. I found that if you close the bottom vent and only use the Tip Top vent it works best. (I know that seems wrong but it works) Also I found I was using way too much charcoal. Just a 1/2 dozen unlit lumps in the bottom and about the same amount of lit lumps on top will last for hours at 250 degrees. If you need to put a sear at the end, then open the bottom vent and the top and it will climb to 700 very quickly. It has cut my charcoal usage in half.
It is supposed to fit just about any bbq. Just do a search for Tip Top Temp and check out the reviews plus it is only $30.
"Vegetarian" is an old Indian word for bad hunter.

Fred

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Update on the Akorn Kamado and Tip Top Temp.
« on: July 13, 2015, 11:02:22 AM »
That is a neat little gizmo. Sure glad you love your Akorn.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 12:11:28 PM »
I have an Akorn, too, and after Lost Arrow taught me how to regulate the temps, I have really enjoyed using it.  Like you, I like using less charcoal.  There are also times when I like using it as a "set-it-and-forget-it" cooker.  I can set it up on the covered patio and not have to worry about wind and rainy - or even cold.

I'm glad I took L A's advice to save the big bucks I'd have to spend for the BGE.  My friends don't know that the food wasn't cooked in ceramic...they just know it's good.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 01:40:04 PM »
Thanks Ontario!

My son-in-law has a Vision Kamado.  Guess what he's getting for his birthday . . . . .

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline stl-rich

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 03:02:30 PM »
Last night I did a half a Packer on my Akorn with a TTT on the exhaust,  I used a plate hanger http://www.homedepot.com/p/OOK-7-10-in-30-lb-Brass-and-Gold-Deluxe-Plate-Hanger-50471/100009254 to mount it
Webers & Akorns

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 09:42:29 PM »
I can't believe this did not get more attention ???

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 09:51:13 PM »
Wait a second.  Your controlling the temp with the bottom vent completely closed?. How?. Where is your intake at?. This would work on my egg?. You ppl.  Stop posting stuff for me to buy.  Damn it, you guys are spending all my wife's Xmas money.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 11:13:55 PM »
Wait a second.  Your controlling the temp with the bottom vent completely closed?. How?. Where is your intake at?. This would work on my egg?. You ppl.  Stop posting stuff for me to buy.  Damn it, you guys are spending all my wife's Xmas money.

The BBQ stores are calling you Sparky...come....step toward the light............ :D
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2015, 10:26:33 AM »
  I always left the bottom vent open a touch, but then I read the instructions and it said to keep closed. Since then I can smoke sausages at 200 degrees with 5 degree + or -. It draws air in from the top and exhausts at the same time.
All I can say is it works as advertised. P.S. It fits just about everything with minor modification.

Fred

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2015, 12:06:27 PM »
I have a TTT new in box waiting for the right hunk of meat to try it out on. May have to go to the store today .

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2015, 12:45:05 PM »
 I would start with chicken until you see what numbers match the right temp. It takes a couple of cooks to dial it in.

Fred

Offline stl-rich

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2015, 11:57:05 AM »
  I always left the bottom vent open a touch, but then I read the instructions and it said to keep closed. Since then I can smoke sausages at 200 degrees with 5 degree + or -. It draws air in from the top and exhausts at the same time.
All I can say is it works as advertised. P.S. It fits just about everything with minor modification.
I read the instructions and said "No Way" - I still leave the bottom vent open a little.  Probably would work real well at low temps with the bottom shut  8)
Webers & Akorns

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2015, 05:27:12 PM »
We also had to do a little thinking before attaching the Tip Top to the Vision Kamado . . . .

But, it works like a charm!

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2015, 06:35:50 PM »
I really do like that and was wondering about the taste of the meat. Looks like the stale might not be getting out. It sure quit a bit cheaper than other temperature controllers..I think I will order one for $30.
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2015, 04:35:40 AM »
Dang, now I need the cooker to hold the controller of which I have neither :(

Great post ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.