Author Topic: Chef's Choice Trizor XV Knife Sharpener  (Read 4819 times)

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
Chef's Choice Trizor XV Knife Sharpener
« Reply #-1 on: July 19, 2015, 08:40:38 PM »
I finally got the Chef's Choice Trizor XV Knife Sharpener from Bed Bath and Beyond online. The final costs with shipping, tax, and 20% off coupon was around $140.  They kept selling out of them within a day or so when they got them in stock.

The thing about the Trizor XV  is it will convert a knife from the American/European blade angle from 20* to the Asian 15* which is much sharper.

Today, I sharpened two chef's knives, two boning knives and a paring knife.  Bottom line is they are so sharp the tomatoes I cut for testing had  only one side after I slice them.

I never thought I would spend that much for a knife sharpener but after reading up on the 15* blade angle I decided to go for for it. It is only for knives and not for heavy duty cleavers, thick hunting knives, machetes,axes, pitch forks, lances, swords,grubbin' hoes, bush hooks, and  lawn mower blades and such that some of the other sharpeners are.  There is one that is offered by Cabala's which does all of that. I think it's call the "Ken Onion" or something like that.

So far I'm extremely pleased with it and will start on some serrated blades in a day or so.

Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Chef's Choice Trizor XV Knife Sharpener
« on: July 19, 2015, 09:56:38 PM »
I am going to have to look into this one....
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 10:02:04 PM »
Dee - here is a link to the BB&B page for this sharpener. Nice write up! Thanks for sharing your experience.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/chef-39-schoice-reg-trizor-xv-sharpener-edgeselect-15/1017749218

And - the benefit is not just 5 degrees as one may assume in going from a 20 degree edge to a 15 degree one. It is actually 10 degrees, as each side of the blade is referenced in sharpening a typical "dual edged" knife. ( There are some single edged Japanese knives as well...)

SO - you are taking the knife cutting angle ( angle of attack - or A.O.A. in aircraft vernacular ) from a total of 40 degree cutting face - to that of 30 degrees.

Reducing the angle by a full 25%. The reduction in resistance - let alone a well sharpened edge can do remarkable things for otherwise ordinary cutlery. ;)
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 10:02:16 PM »
Sounds like your knives are now really sharp, probably for the first time in a long time.  Be careful.  We don't want to read about someone we all care about amputating fingers.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 11:30:17 AM »
Art, Having dull knives is like being stupid and not knowing any difference.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 05:38:39 PM »
The most dangerous tool in the kitchen is a dull knife. I am going to experiment on my Work Sharp as it comes with a 15 degree jig. I'll take a cheap 20 degree knife and give it a whirl
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 10:51:07 PM »
Thanks for the write up, gonna have to look into this one.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 06:49:22 AM »
Looks like a sharpener even I could use. Heck it is even numbered in the order you use the cutters :P
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 07:57:07 AM »
muebe, It was made for former Infantrymen like me.  The instruction book even has pictures in it.  Dee

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 09:45:26 AM »
muebe, It was made for former Infantrymen like me.  The instruction book even has pictures in it.  Dee
lol - Love ya, Dee!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2015, 08:00:52 AM »
I just purchased one but with tax and shipping (from Amazon) it came to about $180.

It really works well on the three knives I've sharpened... have a lot more to do.
Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2015, 10:24:33 AM »
My Work Sharp sharpener doesn't have a 15 degree edge attachment. I really think I want have all my knives at 15 degrees. My favorite knife lately has been my Victornox Fiberox, or however it is spelled. I looked it up and that one is a 15 degree edge.

I emailed Work Sharp to see if they will offer a 15 degree edge attachment. It really is a great tool.
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2015, 10:38:03 AM »
America's Test Kitchen is really big on some of the Victornox knives.  They are made by the folks who make Swiss Army Knives. I have one for boning and slicing and it.  ATK recommends their Chef's knives.
The change to the 15* is what sold me.  At one time I was looking at the Work Shop and the Ken Orton(?) from Cabela's  and never got serious enough to pull the trigger. If I remember correctly both of those do more than knives whereas the Chef's Choice is knives only.  Dee

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2015, 11:04:13 AM »

America's Test Kitchen is really big on some of the Victornox knives.  They are made by the folks who make Swiss Army Knives. I have one for boning and slicing and it.  ATK recommends their Chef's knives.
The change to the 15* is what sold me.  At one time I was looking at the Work Shop and the Ken Orton(?) from Cabela's  and never got serious enough to pull the trigger. If I remember correctly both of those do more than knives whereas the Chef's Choice is knives only.  Dee

You are correct about the knives. And as knives go, they are dirt cheap.

The work sharp will do shovels, scissors, really just about anything. I just need them to make a 15 degree attachment
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2015, 11:12:10 AM »
My Work Sharp sharpener doesn't have a 15 degree edge attachment. I really think I want have all my knives at 15 degrees. My favorite knife lately has been my Victornox Fiberox, or however it is spelled. I looked it up and that one is a 15 degree edge.

I emailed Work Sharp to see if they will offer a 15 degree edge attachment. It really is a great tool.

The Work Sharp WSKTS-KO Knife and Tool Sharpener Ken Onion Edition is doing 15 degree
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber