Author Topic: Offset Smoker  (Read 9248 times)

Offline Jammin2Dub

Offset Smoker
« Reply #-1 on: July 24, 2015, 10:46:38 AM »
I currently use a Char-Griller Duo Black 3-Burner (40,800-BTU) Liquid Propane Gas Grill. Recently I have been looking into getting an offset smoker. I have never used one before and wanted to get some more insight to see if a offset smoker is worth the investment. My grilling is primary on the weekends and I greatly enjoy smoking meat low and slow.

Below is what I have found compatible with my grill. Does anyone have some reviews or advise?

Char-Griller Multi Function 250-sq in Portable Charcoal Grill

Char-Griller Duo Black 3-Burner (40,800-BTU) Liquid Propane Gas Grill

Proud to be a smoker

Char-Griller Duo Black 3-Burner (40,800-BTU) Liquid Propane Gas Grill & Smoker

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Offset Smoker
« on: July 24, 2015, 10:57:47 AM »
I hate to tinkle in anybodys Kool-Aid but stay away from POS offsets. I have ran a char-griller all the way to custom 600 lb units. Even the best off-sets will take up a bunch of your time. You have to learn fire management. A cheap off-set however can put out some great chow. You just have to work harder at it due to poorly fitting doors and super thin metal.
Here is a good article from Meathead over at Amazing Ribs:  (This pretty much says it all)
http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/offset_smokers.html
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 11:18:13 AM »
If you are considering an off-set, have you ever heard of The Good One? They are manufactured in Kansas, Mo. Chris Marks used them when he dominated the competition circuit with The Three Little Pigs cooking team. Chris now tours the country teaching about BBQ and The Good One smoker/Grill. The Good One uses a full length fire box that runs in front of the smoker box. You control the heat and smoke with a full length damper. These pits can burn up to 10 hours with no adjustments once you get the temps dialed in. When Goodwin Mfg was making them they were distributed by Ace of Hearts BBQ. I was a cowboy dealer for them and I sold the pits along with The Three Little Pigs rubs.

Watch for a full review from me in the next couple of weeks. I will be reviewing their patio model "The Open Range"

Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 12:19:12 PM »
  You already have the CG and the addition of the side box will work just fine.  I bought my son in law this setup a couple months back.  His is the new model which has a door rather than the whole top opening but that is a minor detail really. It is easy to get it to hot do to the small area in the main tank so take care with that. Start light on the charcoal/wood...   
And no this is not a big time smoker by any means but we are talking $80 for the side box here.   I assure you that you can make this work just fine.

You do need to practice and learn the smoker. But that is always the case inst it?  Good excuse to drink more beer on the weekend... 

Get some beer and start early with a small pork roast of any sort.  Put in a few beef ribs for snacking on after a couple hours and have fun!  If you can get the Mexican cut on the beef ribs they will be done a bit sooner. (That's cross cut about an inch or two long).   
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline Hub

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 12:36:00 PM »
I'm with Smoke -- that Char-Griller thing is a toy piece of junk and you'll regret ever messing with it.  Do some research on some good quality offsets or other smoker types that are much more capable.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 03:06:03 PM »
I'm middle of the road.
I've had a chargriller offset ( bigger model ) that lasted 10 years.
With a charcoal basket & a few modifications is only a relative PITA.
Unfortunately I have 2 friends with your chargriller combo & with both the gas side burned out within 2-3 years.
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 03:44:05 PM »
I think it is only fair to the OP that we ask some questions about budget - in order to make recommendations that are realistic for him.
So, what is do-able for you...? And then we can talk about options within your price range.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 05:48:58 PM »
When it comes to off-sets, I shudder at the thought of how many people have left a home improvement store with a POS off-set and after a couple of futile attempts gave up on smoking all together..........when it comes to off-sets...cry once.......
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 06:24:58 PM »
at this point in time on a budget the $260 chargriller Akorn Kamodo with cart at HD is a great useful smoker.
A number of members have one & I think response has ranged from good - great.
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 08:29:42 PM »
The Kamado Akorn will cook grub as good as an off-set without all the work and fuss......and as LA points out, that is a sweet deal with the cart included.....
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2015, 09:48:33 AM »
Alex as others have stated the cheap offsets can be a real pain. Just looking at the picture of the char-griller add on you and can see that at the top of the lid there is a gap where the lid meets the housing. The idea of the vents is to control air to regulate temps and they do no good if air is also coming in from another location like the lid.

If you are going to go the cheaper route then you will need to spend some time sealing the lid with a fiberglass gasket and sealing other parts of the housing with high temp RTV to keep the air control more manageable.

Then as the thinner metal heats up more gaps might appear as the metal expands causing the air flow to change. The more air you get the hotter your smoker.

Just something to consider when making the jump to an offset. Also price/budget is a factor too.

Higher quality off sets do cost more but will be something that is air tight and easy to maintain temps with. And will last long enough to be passed on to the next generation.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2015, 11:44:37 AM »
Muebe is spot on. Just to add. A custom well made off-set still requires a ton of babysitting. You pretty much put the food in the smoker chamber and it is all about fire management after that..................
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline hikerman

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2015, 06:08:24 PM »
I want a nice offset myself.  But not until I retire,  hopefully in 2 years. Hell there's no time for fire management now! :D

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2015, 10:23:47 AM »
Opinions are like armpits in a way.
Just sayin'...

We need to consider that Jammin is new to this forum.  He MAY be at the stage I was when I joined the group years ago.  If I had gotten all this grief when I asked a question, I probably would have moved on.

It's a good thing to try to understand someone's experience level, budget, how much cooking space is available, etc before I tell him what he ought to do.  I am thrilled with my "cheap" offset and would recommend it to anyone.  I would tell them it has taken me a long time to learn how to use it, but the experience has been rewarding for me.
They may learn much quicker than I did.

I'll get off my soapbox now.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2015, 10:30:59 AM »
Opinions are like armpits in a way.
Just sayin'...

We need to consider that Jammin is new to this forum.  He MAY be at the stage I was when I joined the group years ago.  If I had gotten all this grief when I asked a question, I probably would have moved on.

It's a good thing to try to understand someone's experience level, budget, how much cooking space is available, etc before I tell him what he ought to do.  I am thrilled with my "cheap" offset and would recommend it to anyone.  I would tell them it has taken me a long time to learn how to use it, but the experience has been rewarding for me.
They may learn much quicker than I did.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

Well said, Jack. Especially about new members - we all (well except me) have a lot of knowledge, but need to respect new member questions. Sometimes in our zeal to help, we may overreach....
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #