Author Topic: Offset Smoker  (Read 9250 times)

Offline Jaxon

Re: Offset Smoker
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2015, 11:17:14 AM »
You are quite the diplomat, sir..
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline N. Ontario Smoker

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2015, 11:33:29 AM »
  My first smoker was a $49 brinkman. You could have drove a truck through the air gaps in that thing. However, after modifications I had that smoker keeping within 10 degrees for hours. Because I did it myself, like Jaxon said..." the experience has been rewarding for me". If that smoker is what you want then go for it. Do a search on how to modify it, keep it clean and dry and you will probably get a couple of years of smoking enjoyment out of it. I highly recommend the Kamado Akorn if possible down the line though.
"Vegetarian" is an old Indian word for bad hunter.

Fred

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2015, 11:46:22 AM »
  I hope I'm wrong but I think its to late. He hasn't posted since July.   

NOS, Jaxon and Holly are correct... 
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline hikerman

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2015, 11:46:59 AM »
This may fall under the "tough-love" category that those of us with kids, young or older, go through regularly. However the message is delivered the intent is to spare them the pain that we went through to learn the "right way"! Sadly much of that advice goes unheeded only to have them say later, "I wish I would have listened to your advice!"

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2015, 01:03:24 PM »
That is why we have read so many posts about how people left other forums to come to this one. Everybody has to start somewhere. Hopefully we don't get to the point to where people are leaving here because they feel they are getting critical replies to their honest questions.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline hikerman

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2015, 01:14:00 PM »
I agree! But sometimes people ask a question not necessarily to get an answer but rather to have their idea reinforced.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2015, 02:55:58 PM »
I would not consider my advice I gave as grief. I would not want someone to get an offset and then just quit out of frustration. I feel like we would be doing someone a disservice by not telling them everything we know about a cooker. Many people have high expectations and might be let down with their results because they do not understand how the smoker works.

A small investment of High Temp RTV and Fiberglass gaskets can make a world of difference to any cheaper off set smoker. An off set has a learning curve already so knowing things that can make that curve less rounded can help.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2015, 03:10:16 PM »
  My first smoker was a $49 brinkman. You could have drove a truck through the air gaps in that thing. However, after modifications I had that smoker keeping within 10 degrees for hours. Because I did it myself, like Jaxon said..." the experience has been rewarding for me". If that smoker is what you want then go for it. Do a search on how to modify it, keep it clean and dry and you will probably get a couple of years of smoking enjoyment out of it. I highly recommend the Kamado Akorn if possible down the line though.

My first one was a Masterbuilt 7 in 1.  A thing of beauty if there ever was one.  Me and a buddy of mine bought them the same year.  When he gave up on his, I got it from him and rigged the center section to fit on top of mine and had a double stack.  There still wasn't a way to control the airflow, but with the gas on I could now cook 30-40 lbs of BBQ at a time.

As far as running him off.  Obviously he's gone, he only stuck around for a week.  He got some good advice, hard advice, but good advice.

I hope that, at least, he's found a home, is sitting in the backyard, sipping on a tasty adult beverage, and stoking a nice fire.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline N. Ontario Smoker

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2015, 03:28:39 PM »
 You know what the good part is?.........Looking over the posts just on this subject, there was no bickering, anger, or frustration.
Just people trying to be helpful. All in all I think you all do a DAMN good job.
"Vegetarian" is an old Indian word for bad hunter.

Fred

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2015, 04:54:17 PM »
Sometimes ya just tell it straight. I have cooked on a 80.00 Char-Broil Silver Smoker and a 2000.00 Pits by JJ. Just gotta call it like it is. He probably has posted this on other forums and went for the path of least resistance............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2015, 06:13:16 PM »
well, now we can put this puppy to bed.

No offense meant...
<><

Offline hikerman

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2015, 07:55:17 PM »
I would think that would be his call....if he so chooses! I mean...he asked the question.  ::)

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2015, 09:13:23 AM »
I had a smoke hollow combo gas/charcoal/smoker, the smoker was small but good for just me.  The thing leaked like crazy but I got used to it and put out some decent food. I used red high heat RTV caulk to seal the outside of the firebox to the smoking chamber which helped a little. After barely two years the gas side started acting up, and I would have had to replace the burners.  In hindsight (which is always 20/20) I wish I just bought a gasser and separate offset, even if the off set was cheapo model. I didn't want to keep it just for the smoker because there was too much wasted space.  I bought the used Weber and scraped the combo.  In the spring I am going to figure out which offset I'm going to get.

Jaxon loves his Pecos, and it is cheaper than most for everything being welded.  How I found this forum was The Smoke's review of meadow creek SQ36 a few years ago.  They are about a hour away from my house and have a "yard" sale in the spring, but also have demos for sale.  I know Smoke had trouble, but since it is so close and I can actually check it out in person that is still int he mix, even if the price is almost double.  Now BIGG with his Karabue throwing another wrinkle into the mix.  I'm just glad so many people have tried a lot of options to help make my choice harder, because I can never make up my mind.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2015, 12:18:12 PM »
I had a smoke hollow combo gas/charcoal/smoker, the smoker was small but good for just me.  The thing leaked like crazy but I got used to it and put out some decent food. I used red high heat RTV caulk to seal the outside of the firebox to the smoking chamber which helped a little. After barely two years the gas side started acting up, and I would have had to replace the burners.  In hindsight (which is always 20/20) I wish I just bought a gasser and separate offset, even if the off set was cheapo model. I didn't want to keep it just for the smoker because there was too much wasted space.  I bought the used Weber and scraped the combo.  In the spring I am going to figure out which offset I'm going to get.

Jaxon loves his Pecos, and it is cheaper than most for everything being welded.  How I found this forum was The Smoke's review of meadow creek SQ36 a few years ago.  They are about a hour away from my house and have a "yard" sale in the spring, but also have demos for sale.  I know Smoke had trouble, but since it is so close and I can actually check it out in person that is still int he mix, even if the price is almost double.  Now BIGG with his Karabue throwing another wrinkle into the mix.  I'm just glad so many people have tried a lot of options to help make my choice harder, because I can never make up my mind.

That Meadow Creek was one of the easier off-sets I have ran. The leak that darn thing had was the darndest thing. The SQ36 is basically their pig roaster PR-36 with the fire-box attached........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2015, 08:35:41 AM »
For the record Aaron Franklin got his start on the $99 smoker that leaked, etc....in fact, he got another one like it that someone put out by the road.
With these COS he taught himself to control heat and smoke and learned how to cook some of the finest brisket in Texas.
He has produced a large number of videos on smoking meat for Texas public television.  Most of these are done in the backyard.  He uses the Pecos COS for the videos.  That's why I got one.
If he was using the $99 smoker, I would probably have got one of those.
<><