Author Topic: My Cook-Air Taste issue  (Read 1941 times)

Offline Pappymn

My Cook-Air Taste issue
« Reply #-1 on: September 14, 2016, 02:40:08 PM »
I had posted about on off metallic type of taste with the food I have been making. So I decided to contact the company via email.  Here is the response.

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your email. The type of wood and the fire starter used is very important. They both need to be chemical or dirt free. I'll make a deal with you; give me your address and I'll ship you a box of the cook-air wood and Firestarter and all I ask in return is for you to write an honest review on the product wherever you bough it. How's that? Guarantee you this is the best way to use the grill.

Whatever you used, the closest to 100% natural burning material the best taste, you'll get. I hope this helps. Oh and the more I think about it, you don't need to fill the combustion chamber all the way to the top. If you look in the combustion chamber, you'll notice an edge about 3|4 of the chamber. If you put wood over that, combustion is bad. Maybe that's the problem too. It affects the burning and it does smell funny. As a point of reference, you should not have more than 3-4 cubic inch max of wood burning while you are cooking. Hope this helps

This took me as PBC level of service!

I have been over filling the fire part. And I have been using big store bagged wood that always seems a bit dirty.
I am done buying that cheap wood. Never again!

So if you are on the fence about getting a Cook-Air, I think this company has our back.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: My Cook-Air Taste issue
« on: September 14, 2016, 02:50:39 PM »
That is great service!

I have been using the cowboy chunked wood and have no issues. I do start with a smaller amount of wood. Maybe that has been your problem all along? I save big chunks for adding to an established fire.

I also let it get going good before placing the grill/diffuser into position.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 04:13:19 PM »
That is great service!

I have been using the cowboy chunked wood and have no issues. I do start with a smaller amount of wood. Maybe that has been your problem all along? I save big chunks for adding to an established fire.

I also let it get going good before placing the grill/diffuser into position.

I use the same technique and the only issue I've had is with Mesquite all other woods burn fine with no strange type taste
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 04:39:19 PM »
Good for you Pappy

I would love one but need to wait :'( :'(

1) would love one for steaks
2) Don't need one
3) Not in the Budget
4) Wife said no
5) I already have many grills.
6) Kids need to go to college

One out of six does not cut it.

My Weber Charcoal & CB Grill two go will be my steak grills for now......They both do a good job
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 06:19:14 PM »
I had posted about on off metallic type of taste with the food I have been making. So I decided to contact the company via email.  Here is the response.

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your email. The type of wood and the fire starter used is very important. They both need to be chemical or dirt free. I'll make a deal with you; give me your address and I'll ship you a box of the cook-air wood and Firestarter and all I ask in return is for you to write an honest review on the product wherever you bough it. How's that? Guarantee you this is the best way to use the grill.

Whatever you used, the closest to 100% natural burning material the best taste, you'll get. I hope this helps. Oh and the more I think about it, you don't need to fill the combustion chamber all the way to the top. If you look in the combustion chamber, you'll notice an edge about 3|4 of the chamber. If you put wood over that, combustion is bad. Maybe that's the problem too. It affects the burning and it does smell funny. As a point of reference, you should not have more than 3-4 cubic inch max of wood burning while you are cooking. Hope this helps

I have been over filling the fire part. And I have been using big store bagged wood that always seems a bit dirty.

So if you are on the fence about getting a Cook-Air, I think this company has our back.

That is excellent customer service Pappy! Have you tried using the wood from Fruita Wood in your Cook-Air?
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Pappymn

My Cook-Air Taste issue
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 06:49:28 PM »

Hi Patrick,

That is excellent customer service Pappy! Have you tried using the wood from Fruita Wood in your Cook-Air?
I have not. But I am next. I am really gun shy now about those bags of wood. I'll pay a premium and get the good stuff.
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline stalag

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 07:06:27 PM »
If you use wood from a dirty source, the only thing I might suggest is debarking the wood, using a very stiff brush to get rid of the dirt on each piece, then store in a clean container until use.  Dirt picks up all sorts of crap, and the bark may be contaminated from stuff on the ground.  Also, make doubly sure that poison oak vines are not wrapped around the tree.  Poison oak sap is very nasty stuff.

It is always better to get wood from a clean source, debark the wood, split it yourself and store the wood in a controlled environment until use. Oh, and don't use a chain saw to cut the wood.  Bar oil is nasty crap.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I hear nothing.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 07:42:36 PM »
Fruitawood,Smokinlicous and Maine Grilling woods are great sources for high quality wood. The Charcoal Store has peach chunks and those are good.

Now about Cook-Air. What a great example of customer service. Glad to hear they took care of you.  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 08:11:26 PM »
Ok " Fruitawood"  not sure what that is....
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline Pappymn

My Cook-Air Taste issue
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2016, 08:30:43 PM »
Just placed an order from Fruitawood for pecan chunks. I was blown away by the peach wood I ordered from them. Pecan is a hard wood so it should be good for the Cook-Air.
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2016, 08:33:00 PM »
Just placed an order from Fruitawood for pecan chunks. I was blown away by the peach wood I ordered from them. Pecan is a hard wood so it should be good for the Cook-Air.

Ok, I got it  :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline hikerman

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2016, 09:42:02 PM »
Hey Pappy,  glad to hear your issues likely will be over! Thumbs up buddy! 8)