Author Topic: Catering - Anybody here do it?  (Read 1980 times)

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
Catering - Anybody here do it?
« Reply #-1 on: October 12, 2016, 01:25:03 PM »
Title says it all. I've been asked many times to cater and have done it on a very small scale but not directly. I've cooked food and given it away to places like my mechanic and plumbing supply company and I've also done it for a friends church gatherings a couple of times. I am thinking about doing it as a little side business. Any tips would be welcomed!
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
Re: Catering - Anybody here do it?
« on: October 12, 2016, 03:38:01 PM »
I get asked to do parties for friends (graduation, birthdays, etc.) and do a few large cookouts every year (the marching band cookout - 140 hungry high schoolers/staff - was my latest one).   

Currently, since I am not licensed, and do NOT operate as a business, so I only do this as a favor, or as a volunteer (such as with the Band), and only ask for them to pay for the food cost, so I have not made any money. 

People keep telling me I should open a catering business.  I am actually looking into possibly doing a full on catering business, and am learning there's a lot to consider.  Besides equipment, the insurance & licensing are the biggest upstart issues, especially if you plan to cook at events.   That may require a different license, such as a Transient Vendor's license.   Since you're dealing with food, you will need to check your local health inspector to see what they expect, local codes, etc.  They may require you to have either a commissary (or food truck) which can be inspected.  Again you will need to check.

Now for the actual work:

I have done enough large cookouts over the last 7 or 8 years to learn that the most important thing is to PLAN, PLAN, PLAN EVERYTHING!!!  Know how many you are cooking for and plan your menu, down to the ingredient level so you know how much of everything to buy.  Know exactly how long your food items will take to cook and leave yourself some fudge room, just in case!

As far as how much food to cook, portion control is KEY!!! 

Meat: If doing one meat, plan 1/4 - 1/3 pound per person average.   If doing two meats, plan on 1/4 lb per person for each meat.   Trust me on this or you will be cooking WAY too much meat, and be sure to calculate in bone weight for pork shoulders, etc.

Note: Ribs are hard to do for a large crowd unless you have a monstrous cooker that can handle them!

Side dishes:   For most sides, plan on about 1/4 lb per person per side and you will have plenty!

For something like Corn on the Cob, don't go overboard!  1/2 an ear per person is plenty!

Buns:   For meat that will be served on buns:  1 - 1.25 (max) buns per person, per meat item is usually as much or more than you will need.  HOWEVER, buns are cheap, so buying a little extra doesn't add much to your cost.

This means you will need to cook some trial batches and become familiar with your food weights (no. servings), ingredient amounts, cook times, etc.

Example:  For My Mac & Cheese - I know that 1 lb of uncooked macaroni will yield 6 lbs of cooked macaroni cheese, 24- 25 servings!

I have my batch sizes written out, so I know how much ingredients to buy, and the total weight and number of servings, and total prep/cooking times.

Write your Prepping/Cooking schedule out!
For cooking, I actually print out a Prep/Cooking schedule, to keep everything on time.  This is especially helpful if someone is helping you cook!  They can see the game plan.

For the band cookout in August, I was told to plan for 140 kids.

Meat: 140 X 1/3 lb = 46.2 lbs
Sides: 140 X 1/4 lb = 35 lbs each side.
Buns = 144 buns (18  8-packs)

What we actually cooked:

● 60 lbs shoulders (including bone weight), which yielding about 50ish lbs Pulled Pork
● 40 lbs Roasted Potatoes
● 60 lbs Mac & Cheese  (We didn't need this much, but I was asked to make extra of this. People wanted to take some home.)
● 144 half-ears of Corn on the Cob
● A 10 lb tray of Baked Beans (this was extra, as an alternative, in case someone didn't want corn,etc.)
● 144 Buns - Buns were donated by my butcher, so I did not ask for extras.

● I also had the prep/cook schedule printed and posted in large type so everyone could see it.

Everything was cooked and ready to serve on-time at 5:00 pm sharp, and except for the Mac & cheese, those amounts were right on.  We had enough for everyone with some of everything left to spare.  And trust me those kids were hungry and ate well!

Again, the best advice is to Plan, Plan, Plan!!!

Cliff
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 04:47:57 PM by TentHunteR »
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 04:30:30 PM »
Not trying to get anyone off this forum but for this topic there is a lot of information & knowledgeable people on the BBQ Brethren forum.
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline Sandman

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 04:39:29 PM »
I cater as part of my business. Cliff pretty much covered most of what you need. Here in Ohio starting next year every food service place will have to have someone with a manager food safety cert. https://www.servsafe.com/manager/get-started. Your best bet is to talk to your local health inspectors. They will be glad to help.

Offline RG

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 05:11:50 PM »
I guess this may be a stupid question but would I get set up in the county I reside in or in the area of which I would be selling the food (thinking down the road at perhaps a food truck).  I am self employed and as far as what I do, I just have a business license in the county the business is located in (home based business) but I don't know how it would work food wise. It's an idea I've been kicking around for a while.

I already know that I'd have to have a commissary to operate out of, which I find bizarre considering the Food Trucks/Trailers ARE equipped with fridges, steam tables and sinks. I'll look into it further at some point.
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 06:27:46 PM »
I guess this may be a stupid question but would I get set up in the county I reside in or in the area of which I would be selling the food (thinking down the road at perhaps a food truck).  I am self employed and as far as what I do, I just have a business license in the county the business is located in (home based business) but I don't know how it would work food wise. It's an idea I've been kicking around for a while.

I already know that I'd have to have a commissary to operate out of, which I find bizarre considering the Food Trucks/Trailers ARE equipped with fridges, steam tables and sinks. I'll look into it further at some point.

Hey, you never know unless you ask! :)   Depending on the local health codes, etc. your home kitchen MAY be able to act as your commissary.  Since it varies from state to state, your local Health Inspector should have all the correct info you need.  Call and setup an appointment, then make a list of questions for various scenarios, and sit down and talk with them. Then you will have a realistic idea of what you need to get started.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline RG

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2016, 06:47:47 PM »
Home kitchen ain't gonna cut it. I've already discovered that much. There are exceptions but I'd have to have a commercial kitchen with a grease interceptor (grease trap) and we're talking about eat off the floor cleanliness to boot!

Offline DWard51

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2016, 10:03:03 PM »
And although you have a business license in 1 location, you will likely find that every jurisdiction you cater an event in will want their "cut" and require at least an event license (typically a license for a day, weekend, etc... instead of a permanent one).  Also don't forget State sales & use tax permits & reporting, etc....    Unfortunately everybody wants their fingers in your pies so to speak....

Offline RG

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2016, 02:46:05 AM »
And although you have a business license in 1 location, you will likely find that every jurisdiction you cater an event in will want their "cut" and require at least an event license (typically a license for a day, weekend, etc... instead of a permanent one).  Also don't forget State sales & use tax permits & reporting, etc....    Unfortunately everybody wants their fingers in your pies so to speak....

'MURICA!!! :P

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2016, 02:51:52 AM »
If you have any pets at least here in PA is a no no.  You have to have an kitchen where animals cannot get to.  Family friend started baking cakes and he had to wall up the door to the basement and set the kitchen up down in the basement.  Everytime he went to "work" he had to walk around to the basement door to get in.  He also had to limit his production because the area was residential only.  If he baked over a certain amount of cakes he was subject to fines and being shut down because of zoning regulations.  For kitchens for consumer consumption our county require two unannounced inspections a year.

I will say working in a kitchen part time that does banquets as well as regular dinner service, most of the guys that worked there used to do catering and have all come back to regular kitchen work, dinner service first with helping with banquets as they can.  At least in our area it is pretty cut throat, and they say you easily get burnt out.  They all went to culinary school and did it full time, 6-7 days a week with a crew of 3-4 people, and long 12-14 hour days because they weren't big enough to have enough people to prep some things ahead of time.

Not to talk you out of it but these are things I've heard.  Like DWard said everyone wants a piece of the pie when it comes to permits, we have that with our commercial bakery with different state permits and licences.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2016, 07:05:06 AM »
If you are doing this because of a desperate need for more income I understand & wish you Godspeed.
If you're thinking........I have this cooking hobby, but I 'm quite good at it & love to do it!
You may take a love and turn into a nightmare!
Between bidding, budgeting, buying, clean up, dealing with customers, travel ,beside the bureaucracy in the permits for the hours spent you could go back to school get your plumbing license & make more money/ hour.
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2016, 09:52:14 AM »
Sparky used to do it. He might have an opinion on it.

I would have the service where you offer just the BBQ meats for the event. Leave it up to the customer to get a catering service to handle the rest like sides, prep tables, etc. Your there just to provide the cooked meat/man the smoker.

Sounds like a headache trying to provide the full service to people.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2016, 10:34:45 AM »

Between bidding, budgeting, buying, clean up, dealing with customers, travel ,beside the bureaucracy in the permits for the hours spent you could go back to school get your plumbing license & make more money/ hour.

That's what happened to me.  Business license, health permits.  Have to use a commissary at $25 to $40 hour for a minimum of four hours per week to store and prep the food.  You are not suppose to store or cook from your home.  At least not in California.  Oh gosh.  Dealing with customers who always want more from ya.  You work your regular 40 week job then go and buy everything (when you have time and away from your family), prep it then pack it.  Go to the event, set up, smooch and cook and then tear down.  Once you get home you get to unload your gear and wash it all up and store it back in the garage.  Unless you have baking and someone to do half the work.  No, no, no.  Enjoy your life.   ;D
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2016, 11:03:38 AM »
I have done a few birthday parties, retirements and so forth + cooked for 1750 + folks at church many times.

Cliff hit the nail on the head pretty much.

Only thing I can say or add is this..  If your letting the people serve themselves make sure (or at least in my town) to figure 1/3 pound of meat and not 1/4 lb.   Let them serve themselves as far as veggies, chips and drinks.  Folks sometimes tend to overload their plates so they won't have to return for more.

We set up lines with plates, buns, veggies, chips and so forth then we have a server at the end to give out the correct portion of meat.

Since we started do portions we buy less meat and nowhere near the waste and saves $$$$$ 

I will add, any food leftover from the church gathering goes to one if not more needy home/rescue missions.  So as far as church cooks there is no waste and helping the community is a big plus!     
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline RG

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2016, 11:42:36 AM »
If you are doing this because of a desperate need for more income I understand & wish you Godspeed.
If you're thinking........I have this cooking hobby, but I 'm quite good at it & love to do it!

LOL! I own a plumbing business already, I am a Class II Master Plumber. How funny is that? :)