Author Topic: Let's Build Our Dream Outdoor Kitchen!  (Read 1994 times)

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
Let's Build Our Dream Outdoor Kitchen!
« Reply #-1 on: November 09, 2016, 12:22:40 PM »
I am getting the cart WAY ahead of the horse here but I plan on moving next year and hope to find a house that has some of the things I am going to miss about my current house. I most likely will be downsizing but I hope to gain a better yard which will open up the possibility to having an outdoor kitchen. As you can see by my signature, I have quite a few cookers already but I plan to unload some that you see and replace them with something else.

What I would like from you guys is to tell me what you'd like and that may give me some ideas to go off of. Recommendation of things you have and like or things you'd like to have.
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline Cajunate

• Eatin Louisiana
Re: Let's Build Our Dream Outdoor Kitchen!
« on: November 09, 2016, 01:14:38 PM »
I would definitely have a deep fryer. Built in is nice but the concern of a grease fire is always in the back of my mind so possibly something portable. Gotta have an outdoor fridge that will keep beverages really cold.
Traeger Executive 125
Broil King Keg 4000
Primo Jr. Oval
 Cast Iron Jambalaya Pot
Various Outdoor Burners and Pots
Custom made Deep Fryer
Old Fashioned Open Pit Grill

Offline RG

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 01:23:24 PM »
I like both of those ideas a lot! I will add that I do want to do built-ins where I can. Some exceptions to that would be the KBQ and the SI#3 (should I keep it). 2 of the 3 kegs most likely are going to be gone and replaced with a Primo XL. Stephanie is NOT going to let her 5000 go though, so that will remain.
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 03:07:41 PM »
  I totally agree , A deep fryer/Boiler is a must as well as the fridge. 
I had a small fridge for a long time and then acquired a full size one. I would not want to go back to the small one for sure.
 I also had a dishwasher out by the grills years ago and wish I had one now. (Kerry wishes I had one out there too).
   More storage space right near the grills is definitely on my list too.  A place to keep foil, pans and tools. 

Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 04:13:37 PM »
Check with MAK Grills about a MAK 3 Star wood pellet smoker-grill. I believe it's designed to be a built-in unit  :thumbup:
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline RG

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 04:15:30 PM »
Part of me wants to keep it kind of rustic, some tables here and there with some seating and storage space and part of me wants it to be an extension of the indoor kitchen so built-ins and a nice counter top.

As for grills/cookers, I've already mentioned having a Primo and keeping the KBQ and possibly the SI and Steph's Keg. When I move I will be losing the current drop in gas grill and side burner and may leave a Keg in the island as well. That'll leave me with the free standing stuff like the KBQ and SI and the Traeger. I like my Traeger but it's little so I think I'll look into getting a Memphis Elite drop in and not getting a gasser at all. So the Memphis will take the place of the gasser and Traeger.

I have wanted a Santa Maria drop in for the longest time so this would be my shot at getting one of those as well. Another thing I'd like is an outdoor sink but don't know how I would plumb it to dispose of the waste water.

Keep the ideas coming!

Offline RG

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2016, 04:16:29 PM »
Check with MAK Grills about a MAK 3 Star wood pellet smoker-grill. I believe it's designed to be a built-in unit  :thumbup:

I was in the process of posting about a Memphis drop in. That MAK is nice but I could buy a car for what they want for that beast, lol!

Offline ClimberDave

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2016, 05:04:08 PM »
 Running water and a sink is always handy.   Not sure you needs but an ice maker can be useful  also built in sound system  is always nice.
Kamado Joe III Big Joe
Weber 22" One-Touch kettle
Weber Smokey Joe Simpsons Edition
PBC
Slow and Sear
Generic gasser
Roccbox Pizza Oven
Anova One
Joule
Anova Nano

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2016, 06:03:49 PM »
I've given this some thought and have seen quite a few especially in Florida. Built ins are great however when it comes time to replace your kinda stuck with the deminsions that you have unless you remodel and it limits up sizing.  Counter space that's  easily maintainable in my book is key. Have seen stone, tile, granite and Concrete and some stainless steel. Granite is about the nicest, stone and tile get to be maintenance and so does Concrete, stainless depending on how it's done sometimes looks out of place. I would lean toward granite. Having a built in bar / eating area attached to the cooking area is also pretty popular and works well. Being that your in Georgia having some sort structure over the cooking area to,provide shade and possibly exterior ceiling fans would be cool too. Just some thoughts :D
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline RG

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2016, 06:37:02 PM »
Love it Tom! All very well thought out points. I have an outdoor kitchen of sorts now, I wouldn't really call it a kitchen but rather an outdoor cooking area. I've posted it before I think but here it is anyway.

It doesn't show the KBQ or the other Keg. At the time of this picture I also had a PBC and another pellet grill, lol. I want to have counter space and not have a cluttered look. It can get REAL out of hand and too busy looking if I am not careful with it. I may do a mock up drawing once I absorb some more of the great ideas y'all are giving me! At the rate we're going this is going to be expensive, lol. I may have to do it a little along.

One thing I know that I don't want to do is tile! It doesn't look like much but I spent a fortune on tile doing that island!

Offline Wingman

• Central Maine
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2016, 06:37:58 PM »
I'm with Tom and Dave; no matter where I lived I would want a pavillian type structure and a decent sound system.
"You will thank us for smoking."

Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Spirit E310
Weber Performer Premium
MAK 1 Star #184
Bradley OBS #968,312

Offline RG

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2016, 06:49:44 PM »
As of now, my current setup is under a deck. I installed a paneled roof for cover but the smoke has stained it. Won't do that again. I want to build a pergola of sorts as there will be a hanging daybed type swing out there for my wife, also a dining area like I currently have. If I get lucky enough, maybe I can find a house with a "Florida" room on it to have those things then have it open out onto the kitchen.
Sound system is not a big deal to me since I can run speakers outside easily. If money were no object, I could drop $100K on this easily, lol

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2016, 07:54:09 PM »
  As a cheap person ;) ;) ;) I have items that can be moved instead of built-ins. I guess if I had the cash I would spend big money but I don't. Also with built-ins if things change you might be limited on want you can put into the space as a replacement.

So in my humble opinion.

A dishwasher in a perfect world would be great but I use restaurant bin that can be used to wash dishes outside with water from my sink & hot water from by grill burner but in truth I bring the dishes inside to use that dishwasher. Using paper plates & forks etc in the summer helps.

Sink: This I like it lets me clean the cooking tools & my hands & gives me water if I need it . It does not have hot water but I get that from the grill side burner if needed.

Outside built-in or separates...again I am cheap besides there are times I like to move my cookers out of the Cooking patio. I also like the pizza oven in the dinning area so that we can make it from the table if we want.

My grill has a pull up table so I have plenty of room for a staging area.

I like keeping some of my stuff in the garage that I don't use all the time like the big easy. I keep my Weber charcoal & sears gas grill in the cooing area 95% of the time. I also have a garbage can out there.

Fridge: At a time I wanted one but I have a six day cooler & a fridge in my garage so I am all set in that area. I get free ice from the club so the cost is not much.

Fryer: I use the portable one for fries & wings but I guess if I had the money I would buy a larger one.

I have a shed or two lol that allow me to store things outside near my grill area.

We have a sunroom that lets me store cooking tools etc inside that I can just grab as I go out. 

I have a small bar inside & another portable one outside that I can use for drinks or serving food etc.

Seating a glass table for six, Eight more in the sunroom, four more in a portable table outside, Two to four by the pool & two more at the bar & many on the lawn.

For me I am really happy with what I have...No it won't make a fashion magazine but it is very functional. I plan what I am doing like most on here & I live by a budget. I would give my setup five stars except for the roof....It really works for me>

OK what one thing would I really want?

A roof over my grill area so when it rains or in the winter I could cook undercover. Because everything can move I could cook with my body in the garage & my grill outside but I don't.  I can also use the big easy out front in the winter & bring the food inside. I think Don has a cover & Tommy has that great setup with the cooking palace ;D ;D or shed

We all have needs so everyone has a different grill area.

Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2016, 08:00:20 PM »
100k in a heartbeat! The best I've seen have been enclosed in a Lanai or Florida room open up to a bird cage with a hot tub or pool easily open to the rest of the house with large sliding doors or a combination of doors and Windows. Ceiling fans a must with sound system don't forget the fireplace or real wood fired pizza oven, which is getting very popular. :thumbup:
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2016, 08:35:45 PM »
As of now, my current setup is under a deck. I installed a paneled roof for cover but the smoke has stained it. Won't do that again. I want to build a pergola of sorts as there will be a hanging daybed type swing out there for my wife, also a dining area like I currently have. If I get lucky enough, maybe I can find a house with a "Florida" room on it to have those things then have it open out onto the kitchen.
Sound system is not a big deal to me since I can run speakers outside easily. If money were no object, I could drop $100K on this easily, lol

RG we built a sunroom/FL room & love it. It is a four season room with many windows. 18 by 14 size

It has heat & air & ceiling fan, but we keep the windows open most of the time. It has a dining table, Large sofa, Love seat & Chair with tables & storage. We also have a five CD player with speaker in the room, dining area & out by the pool. It also has a small bar.

We just love the room. We go out one door & the cooking area & outside dining is there. the other door goes to the kitchen.

So I say go for a sunroom!!!!
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill