Author Topic: Rec Tec Pellet Grill High Heat Pulled Pork  (Read 4413 times)

Offline Tailgating is my game

Re: Rec Tec Pellet Grill High Heat Pulled Pork
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2017, 08:42:47 PM »
This is where some additional reading will help  - but in the Cliff Notes ( no...not Tenthunter ;)) version:

1. Ground meats or poultry - I would not do in hot weather -Period.

2. Beef and pork whole muscle cuts ( non ground ) such as Boston Butt, brisket, loin, etc....

Because you are going to cook these to higher than 165F - you are sure to kill off any Salmonella.

165F is a number I use because it has been a long time "standard" for food safe temp. Even cooking chicken and ground products to 165F will kill Salmonella - BUT we know that poultry and ground meats are  more susceptible to other kinds of food borne pathogens . Ground meats specifically have so much more opportunity to harbor unwanted microbes, because of the increased surface area, and the extra handling thru equipment that occurs in the making of ground - so ...be safe.

Hopefully others can chime in here as well.

So if I cold smoke a steak it is not smart to serve it at 145...interesting......To me it is almost like you can increase or add the "salmonella" before but kill it off later in cooking.
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2017, 08:58:57 PM »
If I cold smoke whole meats, especially when it is hot, I put a large pan of ice in my smoker and monitor the internal temp of the smoker or grill. I may be doing it wrong but I have cold smoked plenty of meat for a few hours and still cooked them at their normal temperature. I try to keep the temp of my smokers or grills under 100 degrees. This is what works for me.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2017, 09:00:56 PM »
When I cold smoked I took the right from the fridge pre rubbed and ready    I smoked the but no more than 35 to 45 mins IT would be around 48 or so and the outside has mustard  and mustard has vinegar the outside should not have bad bacteria in that low amount of time before heating in infrared
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2017, 09:03:59 PM »
This is interesting, never thought about cold smoking, just thought about faster cooking, I gues you-could start in the grill with the amazin tube goin for the first hour or so and fire up for 4 more at 335. Why not just start it 335 with the tube goin? Not enough smoke?
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2017, 09:06:58 PM »
Btw, The rub I used was John Henry's Apple Chipolte Rub,
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2017, 09:27:45 PM »
So if I cold smoke a steak it is not smart to serve it at 145...interesting......To me it is almost like you can increase or add the "salmonella" before but kill it off later in cooking.

No...I would consider steak  or pork chops, or anything non-ground- which you are going to "sear" the the exterior at a very high temp - to be more like whole muscle.
My example earlier was more about meats that we traditionally cook low and slow. And about a caution when cooking ground anything - amor poultry. They are just more prone to higher bacteria counts.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2017, 09:31:58 PM »
This is interesting, never thought about cold smoking, just thought about faster cooking, I gues you-could start in the grill with the amazin tube goin for the first hour or so and fire up for 4 more at 335. Why not just start it 335 with the tube goin? Not enough smoke?

Tom You can use the Amazin tube for Hot & cold smoking?? & can you do both in the same cook?

Thanks everybody for your answers
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2017, 10:08:15 PM »

Smoke is produced by "in-efficient combustion" - this can be done in a number of ways. Less air movement so less oxygen for combustion is one of them.We do this by low and slow temp. ranges. Some pits even have a "smoke" setting - which always corresponds to a low temp. Usually around 165-175F will get you a lot of smoke, if you want to try and compress the timeframe as much as possible.
As the temp. goes up, combustion becomes more efficient and the fire burns cleaner - i.e., less smoke.

The balance of "enough but not too much" smoke is very taste subjective - but generally speaking - we look for that thin blue line of smoke coming from our stack to know that we are producing a nice, clean tasting smoke. If you see billowing white clouds of smoke - you will produce a nice creosote post flavor. ( You can do this with charcoal pits too if you do not allow time for the charcoal to reach optimum readiness )

So - when you turn up the pit temp, say - above 275F...you will no longer be "BBQ'ing" ( as defined by the low and slow broad definition of how we produce a smoke profile on meats ) AND...you will accelerate the burn rate of the fuel in you Amazen Smoker Tube.SO it will not produce the amount of smoke you want either...

What you may want to try - is a LOW temp. setting AND an Amazen Smoker Tube - for a shorter period of time to get the smoke profile you wish. This will require a little playing with your grill and your tastebuds to figure out what is "right" for you.

But - in a gas grill scenario....it is harder to get the temps low enough to use heat + the Amazen Smoker Tube in order to do the same thing. You CAN do it....but you might need to consult with muebe...and install a thermostatic control on a gas grill.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2017, 08:15:38 AM »
This is all good info!  Thank-you :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2017, 08:22:34 AM »
Sure is Thanks
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline hikerman

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2017, 12:04:29 PM »
I believe most all of the questionable bacteria etc. is on the surface. So when cooking even to an IT of say 135F your grill level temp is much higher so  the little buggers are killed. Not so with ANY ground meat. The higher the heat the less time required for the bacterial kill-off.
Conversely,  in SV when cooking at lower temps, time is the important factor that must be followed to insure safety. There are specific time/temp graphs that show this, and must be followed to a tee!

Also I must say that in cooking there are many paths that get us to cooked food, BUT there is generally an ideal process for each type/cut of meat. Example, quick searing of a porterhouse steak is much preferred over 225F for many hours to get to your desired doneness. Steaks are tender in nature and don't require low and slow to develop tenderness and taste.
On larger, tough cuts with connective tissue, sinew and fat. Low and slow is ideally the preferred method as time and low temp work together to break everything down, with a very favorable flavor and tenderness. The oldtimers certainly understood this!

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2017, 12:13:12 PM »
I believe most all of the questionable bacteria etc. is on the surface. So when cooking even to an IT of say 135F your grill level temp is much higher so  the little buggers are killed. Not so with ANY ground meat. The higher the heat the less time required for the bacterial kill-off.
Conversely,  in SV when cooking at lower temps, time is the important factor that must be followed to insure safety. There are specific time/temp graphs that show this, and must be followed to a tee!

Also I must say that in cooking there are many paths that get us to cooked food, BUT there is generally an ideal process for each type/cut of meat. Example, quick searing of a porterhouse steak is much preferred over 225F for many hours to get to your desired doneness. Steaks are tender in nature and don't require low and slow to develop tenderness and taste.
On larger, tough cuts with connective tissue, sinew and fat. Low and slow is ideally the preferred method as time and low temp work together to break everything down, with a very favorable flavor and tenderness. The oldtimers certainly understood this!

Thanks
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2017, 02:04:27 PM »

On larger, tough cuts with connective tissue, sinew and fat.
Low and slow is ideally the preferred method as time and low temp work together to break everything down, with a very favorable flavor and tenderness. The oldtimers certainly understood this!

The only exception I think we may want to make is that the addition of Sous Vide for nice thick steaks ( cooked even lower and slower than 225F - because we cook AT the desired finished temp. in Sous Vide....) but - ultimately, we like to sear the exterior - as in the traditional grilling of them. The advantage of Sous Vide in this case is that because no moisture can escape - no flavor can either ;).
But sometimes...I just want to grill a good steak on the grill! ;D
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2017, 12:49:55 PM »
Boy that's a nice looking butt Tom. Kreuz  market in Lockhart Tx. cook theirs for 4.5 hrs.

Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2017, 03:40:44 PM »
Thank-you
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC