Author Topic: Yardbird  (Read 3790 times)

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
Yardbird
« Reply #-1 on: February 23, 2020, 06:43:37 PM »
My wife brined a chickadee for dinner. I rinsed it off, patted it dry, rubbed it down with Kewpie (Japanese Mayo) and put some rub on it. I also pulled the skin back and rubbed the meat inside the skin. I put it in the smoker cabinet of the Lockhart for about an hour and then gradually rose the temp to 225. After it got to about 110 degrees internal, I put it down in the grill area at 400 until done.

Terrible pictures but a tasty, juicy chicken. I had forgotten that I had made ACV slaw so you see it added after I was already in feed mode, lol

My wife roasted some veggies as well and cut up some fresh okra to fry (fresh is so much better to me than frozen pre breaded okra).

A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Yardbird
« on: February 24, 2020, 09:07:51 AM »
Nice!!
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline bamabob

• Way Down South in Alabama
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 10:44:20 AM »
that is one juicy bird!  How was the skin?
Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 12:44:42 PM »
Looks like a mighty tasty meal...
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline RG

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2020, 03:18:52 PM »

The skin was decent but rubberized the longer it sat out. I was going to drop it in the deep fryer for about 2 minutes but didn't :)
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2020, 04:33:06 PM »
Great looking bird

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline iflyskyhigh

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2020, 06:32:02 PM »

The skin was decent but rubberized the longer it sat out. I was going to drop it in the deep fryer for about 2 minutes but didn't :)

Crispy skin on chicken or turkey eludes me to this day....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Constitution is a “Gun Fee Zone” for conservatives

Offline RG

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2020, 09:33:04 PM »

Crispy skin can be obtained but it's just so dang difficult for me doing it on just one cooker. My Kamados that I've had have too moist of an environment, my electric smoker was TERRIBLE at cooking a crispy bird, impossible really. I can do it rotisserie on the Weber and get good results, I couldn't do it consistently on my Pit Barrel Cooker. Pellet grills do decent as long as you raise the temp HIGH in the last part of the cook. Gas grill....pbbbbbttt! Nope. My KBQ does marginally better than the Kamado, albeit at a lower temp but it's a dryer environment inside.

So...I've resorted to cheating. Deep Fryer works wonders and slapping it under the broiler works too :P

Offline iflyskyhigh

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2020, 10:07:26 AM »

Crispy skin can be obtained but it's just so dang difficult for me doing it on just one cooker. My Kamados that I've had have too moist of an environment, my electric smoker was TERRIBLE at cooking a crispy bird, impossible really. I can do it rotisserie on the Weber and get good results, I couldn't do it consistently on my Pit Barrel Cooker. Pellet grills do decent as long as you raise the temp HIGH in the last part of the cook. Gas grill....pbbbbbttt! Nope. My KBQ does marginally better than the Kamado, albeit at a lower temp but it's a dryer environment inside.

So...I've resorted to cheating. Deep Fryer works wonders and slapping it under the broiler works too :P

Sounds just about like my experience.

I got crispy skin once cooking a turkey breast on my Weber Kettle with the slow and sear. Not sure how? It was two thanksgivings ago and I can’t remember what I did.

I can’t get the skin to crisp on the YS640s even when turning up the temp. What temp you using to crisp it up and how long?

The Constitution is a “Gun Fee Zone” for conservatives

Offline bamabob

• Way Down South in Alabama
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2020, 10:24:23 AM »
Something I do is after the bird is cooked, remove the skin in pieces as big as possible and put in the air fryer/toaster oven and crisp it up.  Kind of like chickin cracklins.
Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4