Author Topic: Pellet grills in a big box store.  (Read 5406 times)

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
Re: Pellet grills in a big box store.
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 01:21:02 AM »
Someone please pass the crow...

After talking with Tt and IR2Dum today, I am beginning to think pellets may be in my future.

Found out from Donm that Academic Sports has their Outdoor Goumet PP sale priced at $199.  He said it is a good bit larger than the Lil Tex with a bit heavier grade steel, too.  He also likes the inset lid that helps keep smoke in AND the adjustable chimney.  He is cookin' a chicken now as his first cook, and will let me know how it turns out.

Now, I don't have deep pockets, but I don't want a piece of j**k for a low price - know what I mean?  This SOUNDS like an adequate PP...any thoughts from the peanut gallery?

As Jaxon was saying, I thought the Academy "Outdoor Gourmet" was a knock off of the Traeger Lil Tex, but after looking at the Lil Tex today, I would say the Outdoor Gourmet has a larger grill area, sits a bit higher, uses heavier grade steel for the barrel body, and does have a very well-fitting lid that is actually inset into the cooker on the sides. It is a very heavy unit. The electronics and the pellet hopper look exactly the same as the Lil Tex and it does come with a Traeger thermometer. I had a very hard time acquiring the one I bought and will tell the story in another post. All in all, with only one warm-up cook under my belt, I am pretty happy with this purchase so far.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 01:26:01 AM by IR2dum »

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2013, 03:51:42 AM »

After talking with Tt and IR2Dum today, I am beginning to think pellets may be in my future.

Found out from Donm that Academic Sports has their Outdoor Goumet PP sale priced at $199.  He said it is a good bit larger than the Lil Tex with a bit heavier grade steel, too.  He also likes the inset lid that helps keep smoke in AND the adjustable chimney.  He is cookin' a chicken now as his first cook, and will let me know how it turns out.

Now, I don't have deep pockets, but I don't want a piece of j**k for a low price - know what I mean?  This SOUNDS like an adequate PP...any thoughts from the peanut gallery?

NOOOOO!!!!!  Just kidding.  I'll keep carrying the torch for charcoal and wood. I agree with the comment about the rock.  Whatever you enjoy doing, and however you enjoy doing it...  Keep doing it.  :)
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Hub

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2013, 07:56:40 AM »

RUN, don't walk, away from it!  Do some shopping around on Craigslist, etc., for a used but well-cared for unit from a reputable manufacturer.  You'll be much happier than with something that got slammed together in China and marketed by somebody after a quick buck.  Reputable manufacturers stand behind their products -- just read the threads here and you'll see story after story about how a good pellet cooker company protects its reputation and serves its users with pride.  End of sermonette.
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2013, 09:03:54 AM »
Well here is my two cents...

In my particular case I was glad that a economy priced pellet cooker was available. I was very intrigued by all the fantastic cooks I had seen with pellet grills and their ease of use. But at the time I could not fathom even spending over $500 on one. So I decided to take the plunge and buy a Traeger Jr. After using it a year and getting some pellet grilling experience I could not fathom buying a low end pellet grill. I sold the junior and bought a Memphis.

Obviously I would have started with a Memphis in the first place if I really knew what pellet grilling was all about. But completely understand where others are coming from when they are hesitant to take the plunge into deep pellet grill waters.

Smoke was a die hard charcoal fan! And look at him now. He has two pellet grills now!

So IMHO there is a place for these lower end pellet grills as long as they function. They create a higher end market demand by introducing people to pellet cooking.

Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2013, 12:25:40 PM »
I request that we end all discussion on pellet grills. If we don't, I'll will probably end up wanting to buy one. I can hear the wife now " You have too many, its either me or the pellet grill". So if it comes to that choice, I have been married 31 years and I sure will miss her.
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2013, 12:31:28 PM »
muebe, you just channeled my thoughts.

Offline Pappymn

Pellet grills in a big box store.
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2013, 01:09:52 PM »
What Muebe said. Should also help with distribution and cost of pellets. Not a lot of local pellet sellers in Minnesota
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2013, 01:17:05 PM »
I request that we end all discussion on pellet grills. If we don't, I'll will probably end up wanting to buy one. I can hear the wife now " You have too many, its either me or the pellet grill". So if it comes to that choice, I have been married 31 years and I sure will miss her.
Go ahead and get one Gus, heck leave it at my place and you can "sneak" over and grill/smoke on it  ;) ;)

Kimmie won't tel as long as you burn something for her
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Hub

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2013, 01:31:45 PM »

Two thoughts:  (1) How many golf clubs in the typical bag?  If you don't have the right equipment you can't play.  I only own about 8 cookers -- barely enough to get the job done.  (2)  I am reminded of Brad Paisley's song about fishing -- "I'm gonna' miss her."

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Sam3