Author Topic: More Cobb Grill Action  (Read 4960 times)

Offline Old Dave

• Wood & Charcoal is the only Fuel
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
More Cobb Grill Action
« Reply #-1 on: April 14, 2013, 10:54:54 PM »
I have some more cooks on the Cobb Grill that you folks might find interesting. It is a slick little grill that can be used for tailgating and I feel will work nice in the RV.

Largest problem with the grill is the price of the accessories and most of them are around $35.00 and the grill does need at least a couple of them. I had to purchase the roasting rack and also the frying grid for the types of cooks that I wanted to use it for.

This cook is some hamburger sliders, fried biscuits, quartered potatoes, pork loin cutlet, and boneless chicken breast. It was done with just 11 charcoal brickettes in about two hours.

I started with my fried biscuits on the frying grid which I plan to use for my burger sliders.

Biscuits came out looking great.

I laid a bed of chopped onions on my frying grid and then added my 4 quarter pounders for my sliders.

They cooked up in a few minutes and I pulled them off the cooker.

This gonna be some good eating!

Next on was my pork loin cutlet. Kroger had the whole pork loins on sale again for just $1.47 a pound and that my friend is one great buy! This time I had them slice it up and run it thru the cuber. Will make for some nice grilled tenderloin sandwiches or sliders.

The loin cooked very quickly on the frying grid.

Next up was the boneless chicken breasts and Jan put some kind of blackening rub on them which didn’t blacken up very well due to the very short time on the grill.

Sure did look good coming off of the grill.

I also did some quartered potatoes which were rubbed with peanut oil and sea salt and fresh ground black pepper.

Well, what did that fellow do with all that stuff you might ask?

I opened up 4 of those fried biscuits and placed a quarter pound slider burger on it. I added the chopped onions, a strip of lettuce, slice of tomato, and a dill pickle slice.

Now that’s a real slider.

I added a couple of the quartered potatoes and some salad stuff to my plate for a fine meal.

I cut the pork cutlet in half and put it on some small buns and added the veggies. Another great treat.

The chicken was frozen for future use.

The spare ribs were another Kroger bargain that is hard for me to pass up even though they are injected with 13% salt water. The cost is $1.47 a pound and I do purchase them once in a while when they are on sale.

I cut the ribs into St. Louis style and removed the membrane. I had hoped to be able to roll them but they were about 3/4” too tall for that method of cooking in this little cooker. Anyway, I ended up by cutting them into thirds and setting them up like you see on the standard cooking grid with the roasting rack. They were still to big to just lay down on the cooking grid so I made up a tin foil ball and placed it on the middle of the cooking grid and then leaned the 3 pieces up against the foil ball.

I figured this cook for about 4 hours so I started with 12 charcoal brickettes. I would add 4 more after the second hour and 5 more after the third hour. Was a cooler morning at about 39 degrees and I got the grill going about dawn. I used a foil pack of wild cherry chips for my extra smoke.

I cooked the ribs until the color looked right which was a little over 2 hours and then I wrapped them in foil. I used some apple juice, agave syrup, brown sugar, and honey inside the foil.

They went back into the cooker for about 2 more hours in the foil and I pulled them to prep for my glaze.

I set the ribs up again with my tin foil ball and glazed them with Blues Hog mixed with some clover honey. This took an additional 30 minutes and then they were ready to eat.

Nice ribs.

I think I have just about got this little grill figured out...still need to try some bread or pizza baking and that is next.
Old Dave
Ribs & Bibs Competition Cooking Team

3 Backwoods--3 Big Green Eggs--2 Char-Broils
1 Cobb--1 Original Fast Eddy Pellet Cooker
1 Traeger & 2 Green Mountain Pellet Cookers
1 Genuswine Rotisserie Smoker--2 Hasty Bakes
1 Orion Cooker--6 Webers--Several Homebuilts

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: More Cobb Grill Action
« on: April 15, 2013, 03:03:24 AM »
Nice price on the spares.  Need to look at Kroger this week.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Wing Commander

• Visit my BBQ-Blog!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 03:20:28 AM »
Great Job on the Cobb, Dave.

I have a Cobb, too. As accessories I have a wok, a frying pan like yours, a roasting rack and a dome extension.

Offline Old Dave

• Old Dave's Po-Farm
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 03:41:15 AM »
Great! I want that dome extension next. Would have allowed me to do the spare ribs rolled up like I wanted. Also be nice for beer butt chicken and large roasts and maybe some two grid cooking for something thin like hot wings.

How do you like your Cobb cooker and what have you cooked on yours?
Old Dave

Offline Wing Commander

• Visit my BBQ-Blog!
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 04:58:48 AM »
Great! I want that dome extension next. Would have allowed me to do the spare ribs rolled up like I wanted. Also be nice for beer butt chicken and large roasts and maybe some two grid cooking for something thin like hot wings.

How do you like your Cobb cooker and what have you cooked on yours?

You can pimp that dome extension by attaching a rotissery. A friend of mine uses three of those together on one cobb - take a look here in my favorite German forum.

I like that Cobb very much, although I use it not very often. Here are some of my cooks on it:

Bratwurst Sauerkraut rolls
Panko crusted mini cordon bleus
Chili beans and foiled potatoes
Calamaris from the Cobb wok
Pancakes from the Cobb frying pan

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 10:04:40 AM »
Dave,

Can you tell me about your fried buscuits?

Thanks!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 12:21:00 PM »
wow, that's pretty cool.  you cooked all that on that little bbq?  impressive.   :o
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline nepas

• Ft Pierce Fl. Member #35
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 12:36:22 PM »
Looks great

I was looking at one them Cobb grills but i'm going to hold out for a MAK RV grill....X'ing fingers.

"I know NOTHING, I am merely the messenger" ......Dad Seegle/Stroker Ace

OK OK I'm sure Bob and Bruce will be getting phone calls.....YIKES
Flint
New Elder Wand with infa red tip.

Offline Pappymn

More Cobb Grill Action
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 12:44:36 PM »
Amazing all the great food you turned out on that cool little grill. Very impressive
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 12:45:10 PM »
Lot of work but turned out real good ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 02:46:53 PM »
Dave you are a cooking machine!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2013, 03:19:10 PM »
I have been look at the Cobb Grill for travel so thanks for you very informative post with pics of great looking food.

How well does it do for a whole chicken and how large of chicken will it hold do you think?
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline Old Dave

• Old Dave's Po-Farm
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2013, 03:50:21 PM »
drholly,

The fried biscuits are from the cooler section of your local store. They are the Pillsbury Grands Homestyle Original Biscuits in the pop open can. I just oil up a griddle and fry them...very good!

Savannahsmoker,

They will do a butterflied chicken quite well. The grill also has an extension for the hood that will give you about 3 more inches in height so I would imagine a fellow could get a fairly large whole chicken or even a turkey breast in the grill.

Fwiw, I just started my baking experiments on the little grill. I have a stone hearth ordered and should get it on Wednesday.

I did a pan loaf of bread and it came out well.

Also did some hearth bread on my tin foil pan and it as well came out great.
Old Dave

Offline nepas

• Ft Pierce Fl. Member #35
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2013, 04:39:52 PM »
I'M NOT GOING TO BUY ONE, I'M NOT GOING TO BUY ONE, I'M NOT GOING TO BUY ONE, I'M NOT GOING TO BUY ONE, I'M NOT GOING TO BUY ONE
Flint
New Elder Wand with infa red tip.

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
More Cobb Grill Action
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2013, 06:18:36 PM »
All looks great. Nice work.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker