Author Topic: Is it weird...  (Read 644 times)

Offline perferd

Is it weird...
« Reply #-1 on: May 30, 2013, 08:53:03 PM »
Is it weird that I want to buy a nice grilling kit? I wouldnt mind one of those kits that come with kabob sticks corn holders carver spatula knife and tongs...

I guess never having a grill has me wanting to go overboard lol...

Well that and waiting for my Rec Tec to get here...it feels like years cause I am so excited lol...
Semper Fi.
Once a Marine always a Marine
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don'thave that problem." President Regan

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
Re: Is it weird...
« on: May 30, 2013, 09:25:40 PM »
NO, IT'S NOT WEIRD :) I really only use a set of good tongs, kitchen fork or spatula for barbecuing. Usually those sets are not well made and are from China Da Mio. Try buying a few good BBQ accoutrement's at a time :) Some good things you may want to get are as follows:
THERMOPEN

Maverick ET-732

I'll let some other add to the list :) Happy smoking Perferd!!

Offline perferd

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 10:50:11 PM »
Oh I did a thread on must need accessories lol...

I was just saying how I catch myself wanting to pick up one of those sets but I just dont know why lol....Waiting for this grill is killing me and since I cant buy meat without it I want to buy something lol...
Semper Fi.
Once a Marine always a Marine
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don'thave that problem." President Regan

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 05:33:51 AM »
NO, IT'S NOT WEIRD :) I really only use a set of good tongs, kitchen fork or spatula for barbecuing. Usually those sets are not well made and are from China Da Mio. Try buying a few good BBQ accoutrement's at a time :) Some good things you may want to get are as follows:
THERMOPEN

Maverick ET-732

I'll let some other add to the list :) Happy smoking Perferd!!

+1 on the Thermapen and Maverick.  Other than those two things and my electric knife (that I barely use), most of the rest of my equipment is cheap stuff (tongs, spatulas, forks, etc) that I don't mind replacing if it gets beat up or that was already in the kitchen.  I just use something long enough and my wife moves it to my stash because it has been "defiled."  :D
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Hub

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 07:57:06 AM »
Those kits in their plastic injection molded cases are interesting to look at but beware.  Often the tools inside are not very high quality and are ergonomically not well designed.  I have amassed a drawer full of all that stuff, one piece at a time, shopping chef and cooking stores and "trying it out" until I know what I like and need.  No "matching set" and no neat box, but all the stuff works and works well  ;D

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 08:25:54 AM »

"It is OK to have plenty of bbq gadgets. It is not OK to have those long forks that pierce the meat and lets out all the wonderful juices"

There you have it, get shopping :D
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 08:52:36 AM »
To me the best tongs are the long ones made by Oxo with the locking mechanism that they have.  I have  a pair for the grill and a shorter pair for in the house. I don't us a fork at all.  There are some good "basket type" things to have that helps contain vegetables and smaller things when grilling or smoking.   I have a "Suzie-Q" Griddle that I use on my grill which is very handy.  And like everyone else, I have stuff that like fishing tackle is designed to catch fishermen rather than fish.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 09:19:55 AM »
Just my "short list" of things I want handy when I am cooking outdoors:

1. Tongs like Dee described. Pampered Chef also has a ice set that lock as described in Dee's post. Tho the price is likely more than Oxo. Possibly a sturdy, large spatula as well if cooking fish or other delicate foods.

2. Maverick 732 for long, low and slow cooks

3. Maverick Pro-100 for short term cooks ( like the Thermapen or other digital instant read "momentary use"  probe thermometers)

4. Long cuffed, insulated leather or temp. resistant rubber gloves for handling hot stuff

5. Spray mist bottle - full of water for short term high temp cooks ( if cooking over gas or coals - for flare ups) or full of thinned glazing   material of choice for ribs, or other as desired.

6. Plates or pans and aluminum foil for foods that come off the grill that need to be kept warm.

Just the basics! There are other cook specific things ( skewers, grill baskets, etc...ck. out the new line from Williams Sonoma ;) ) but these are the things that I generally make sure I have within reach while at the grill.

Best of luck on your new adventure. You are going to have fun!

T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401