Author Topic: UGH!!!!  (Read 5323 times)

Offline flbentrider

UGH!!!!
« Reply #-1 on: May 31, 2013, 09:05:21 PM »
I went to RD today, picked up a 30lb Choice chuck roll. We wanted to make a "little" pulled beef, for end-of-the-school-year gifts.

I opened the package and my nose told me that I am going back to the store in the morning.

So much for supper tomorrow.

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
Re: UGH!!!!
« on: May 31, 2013, 09:13:05 PM »
I bet that was Disappointing, Sorry to hear that. I have never been to RD, we have one in Fife I hear.

Offline Pappymn

UGH!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 10:08:19 PM »
That stinks. Any date on the package? I get some stuff there.....
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 10:50:51 PM »
Yikes!  :o ???

Hope it goes well in the morning

You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Hub

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 09:14:21 AM »
Don't that just blow yer hat in the creek  :(

I've had so much meat (in cryovac packaging) from Harris Teeter be bad when I got it home that I've started making somebody at the meat counter open it and re-package it before I'll buy it.  It doesn't make them real happy, but when the "butcher" smells it before I buy it, I don't have to make a return trip!

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Pappymn

UGH!!!!
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 09:19:08 AM »
Don't that just blow yer hat in the creek  :(

I've had so much meat (in cryovac packaging) from Harris Teeter be bad when I got it home that I've started making somebody at the meat counter open it and re-package it before I'll buy it.  It doesn't make them real happy, but when the "butcher" smells it before I buy it, I don't have to make a return trip!

Hub

Curious Hub. Is smell the only telltale sign? If the meat is dated properly, is a function of bad storage temps or something?
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 10:41:10 AM »
My boss and me picked up a 27 lb prime chuck roll yesterday, we had it cut in half and luckily ours was OK. Always good to hang on to receipts for at least a day..............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Hub

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 01:47:40 PM »

Curious Hub. Is smell the only telltale sign? If the meat is dated properly, is a function of bad storage temps or something?

Cryovac is very thick and tough, sealing out air and contaminants.  However, if the meat inside is stored at the wrong temperature germs already present will multiply even in the absence of ambient air.  In my experience the meat looks fine through the plastic and it is impossible to tell if it is tainted without opening the seal.  All of the bad meat I've bought in cryovac was well within its date range and looked just fine.

While it is possible that something sharp could break the seal, I've not had any bad meat due to inadvertent "opening".  Thus, my opinion is that it was improperly stored -- probably left out to thaw too long since most meats are frozen at some point in the packing/delivery process. 

My bad experience has mainly been with ribs.  A curious thing I've noticed is that my HT store now puts the ribs in the display case frozen.  They thaw very slowly there due to the refrigeration.  I've not had a problem with frozen ribs.  They thaw almost completely on my granite countertop (absorbs the cold) in about an hour.  Long story short, I think the meat department staff used to put stacks out to thaw as a customer convenience but didn't do a good job of timing the effort.

If you have a good store (and I'm not saying HT is a bad one) they WILL remove the cryovac for you, whether the meat is frozen of thawed.  If nothing else, I don't have to cut plastic with one of my good meat knives  ::)    Opening it for a quick sniff is the best insurance against a return trip and an exchange or refund.

Hub 
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 01:57:58 PM »
I have cut open a bag of ribs and got hit with that sulfer smell and it is right back to the store >:(
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Rummm

• If you're lookin you ain't cookin!
    • Ask-A-Butcher
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2013, 02:08:48 PM »

Cryovac is very thick and tough, sealing out air and contaminants.  However, if the meat inside is stored at the wrong temperature germs already present will multiply even in the absence of ambient air.  In my experience the meat looks fine through the plastic and it is impossible to tell if it is tainted without opening the seal.  All of the bad meat I've bought in cryovac was well within its date range and looked just fine.

While it is possible that something sharp could break the seal, I've not had any bad meat due to inadvertent "opening".  Thus, my opinion is that it was improperly stored -- probably left out to thaw too long since most meats are frozen at some point in the packing/delivery process. 

My bad experience has mainly been with ribs.  A curious thing I've noticed is that my HT store now puts the ribs in the display case frozen.  They thaw very slowly there due to the refrigeration.  I've not had a problem with frozen ribs.  They thaw almost completely on my granite countertop (absorbs the cold) in about an hour.  Long story short, I think the meat department staff used to put stacks out to thaw as a customer convenience but didn't do a good job of timing the effort.

If you have a good store (and I'm not saying HT is a bad one) they WILL remove the cryovac for you, whether the meat is frozen of thawed.  If nothing else, I don't have to cut plastic with one of my good meat knives  ::)    Opening it for a quick sniff is the best insurance against a return trip and an exchange or refund.

Hub

Enzymes are always working*, especially towards the end of the expiration date. Most times, not always, a rinse and a 30-45 minute wait in the cooler will take care of the smell. If it doesn't...take it back to the store.

I agree with the pisspoor handling of the product from the truck to the consumer :(    .....whether it's bad refrigeration or ignorance of the employee's

Obviously the final decision is up to you....you don't like it then by all means take it back :)

*bacterial reaction between the meat and the cryovac
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 02:37:31 PM by Rummm »
"Culture is what your butcher would have if he were a surgeon.''

http://www.ask-a-butcher.com

Offline flbentrider

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2013, 02:22:00 PM »
I took it back to RD. They did want the meat back, Sam's club does not, at least the one I shop at.

I picked out a 25lb'er that will be going on the MAK 2 star tonight.

Offline GrillGeek

• www.pelletgrilloutfitters.com
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2013, 02:28:24 PM »
RD's great in regards of returning meat. I bought what I thought was a case of Tri-tips and it ended up being flank steak. It was my fault, but they still took it back no problem. I think you have 24 hours.

Owner of Simi Pellet Grills- The Pellet Grill Outfitters
www.pelletgrilloutfitters.com

805-285-2618

Offline Rummm

• Ask-A-Butcher
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2013, 02:30:09 PM »
Dumb question late on a Sat afternoon.....what is "RD"?  ::)

Offline Pappymn

UGH!!!!
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2013, 02:38:23 PM »
Restaurant Depot
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Rummm

• Ask-A-Butcher
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2013, 02:44:12 PM »
Restaurant Depot

DOH!  :-[  They left our area about 11 years ago and forgot about them!