Author Topic: Wine and BBQ  (Read 3696 times)

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
Re: Wine and BBQ
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2013, 09:54:18 AM »
Only if you have big bucks otherwise it's...

This stuff will make you give back stuff you never stold.  Just sayin.  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2013, 11:17:00 AM »
I was in Hutchison, MN this weekend for a soft ball tournament. We stopped at a local winery (around since 2004.) Had a few tastings. My wife and I have completely opposite tastes re: wine. I like dry complex wines, she likes simple fruity, sweet versions. But this place had a couple of garlic wines. I had to try them. Just sticking my nose in the glass evoked a variety of pastas I might make with this wine. My brain lit up with ideas like crazy! Then I tasted the wine - it was so different from the initial aroma. It was good! No garlic aftertaste. OK it WAS good. But I would not buy it as a drinking wine. I DID buy it as a cooking wine. My first thought is some shrimp on linguine. The nose just screams pasta. Looking forward to using it and sharing the results with you.

David

David - can you post a link for the winery? I would like to order some of the garlic wine to try. It sounds like a great ingredient for a lot of things.

T - here you are - http://www.crowriverwinery.com/wines/cooking-wines - Just one smell / taste and you will have a lot of ideas.

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2013, 11:58:58 AM »
Thanks David!
T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2013, 01:02:59 PM »
I drank or drunk a bottle of md 20/20 one time, I learned my lesson. :)

me too.  1975, Adak Alaska on a 6 hour liberty after being 4 months out at sea.  drank 2 of them while hiking in a blizzard around the far side of the bay.  remember most of it.  I didn't learn my lesson.  had many more liberties and a awol or two.   my and the captain got to know each other from the captains mast I had to go to every now and then.   I wasn't the good child.  ::)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline pz

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2013, 01:59:06 AM »
Just found this thread (you never know what you'll find as you dig around).

I love wine, particular the big bold reds like cabernet sauvignon, syrah, malbec, carmenere, zinfandel and others.  However, I'm developing a taste for some of the whites: semillon, viognier, pinot gris, and others, as long as they are complex like a red, or citrus and fresh for sipping on the back deck on a hot day.  About the only wine I do not particularly care for is chardonay.  The south American reds are surprisingly good, especially the ones from Chile and Argentina, but my current favorites are the Washington wines.

While I typically love a Black Butte Porter (or just about any other nearly black beer) for "Q", I also like to have bold reds with the succulent "Q" meats.

We needed a wine cellar to store our treats, so we converted a sewing room into a "wine cellar"  ;D  Done on the cheap, it has been in place since 2000, and has been perfect to store our wines.

We were at L'ecole in Walla Walla a few years ago, and struck up a conversation with the winemaker.  I was interested in a barrel, and he sold me the one in this image for $10 - I plan to have a circular glass top made so I can convert the barrel into a wine tasting table.  I also plan to cut a door into the side of the barrel and store glasses within.  This "cellar" is actually adjacent to the living room, which you can see through the circular window.

Starting to deplete my house wines a bit.  Need to make a trip to Washington  ;D  As to cooling, the "experts" want us to purchase a $3000 wine cellar "environmental control unit", however I opted for a $200 removable chassis room air conditioner from Walmart - has not done me wrong for the last 14 years.  You can see it in the far wall in this image.

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2013, 05:32:01 AM »
i just found this one now thanks to PZ .
i love my wine ,love to drink and collect.
i just lucky that i live in a area  that makes wine so we can drive to wine farms and buy wine for a reasonable price .
as you see on me avatar . this is my cellar that i cure meat in the winter and store my wine.

Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2013, 06:25:21 AM »
Ahron
don't you worry about your corks drying out with your bottle necks angled up?

thanks .
the bottles are at 170 degrees so the corks are under wine and the wine sediment is still going to the bottom of the bottle .
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2013, 07:06:31 AM »
Years ago, they made a MD 16 pink grapefruit.  I don't remember anything other than opening it.  Oh, and Wild Irish Rose was a personal favorite as well.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2013, 09:39:07 AM »
Years ago, they made a MD 16 pink grapefruit.  I don't remember anything other than opening it.  Oh, and Wild Irish Rose was a personal favorite as well.

Quality swill there Chris! :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2013, 11:06:36 AM »
Those are a couple of very nice wine cellars!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2013, 02:11:02 PM »

Quality swill there Chris! :D

Nothin' but the best for me.  ;)
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2013, 02:27:05 PM »
Hummm. I always thought this was what you drank when BBQuing...

they still have the screw on tops.  the labels have changed since i was a kid.  spend many, many a night w/ boones farm.   ;)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline pz

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2013, 02:27:56 PM »
lol, I remember enjoying Boone's Farm when I was young - brings back some good memories!

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2013, 02:31:39 PM »
Only if you have big bucks otherwise it's...

This stuff will make you give back stuff you never stold.  Just sayin.  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ

true statement.  there was this time in Adak Alaska w/ a 6 hour liberty and 2 bottles of md2020 in my coat walking up the road in a blizzard.  that's another story. 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66