Author Topic: Books=Education=Self Improvement  (Read 973 times)

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
Books=Education=Self Improvement
« Reply #-1 on: August 17, 2013, 09:02:13 AM »
One of the things I really love to do in addition to cooking is reading.  Particularly  I'm interested in history (especially the early days and Founding of America), politics, and self improvement.  As I'm retired I  have more time to enjoy reading and usually, I'm reading two or three books at a time.

In my home I have hundreds of books and dozens more on my e-reader, Barnes and Noble's Nook.  I would love to have one of those big paneled libraries you see in some of the wealthy homes on tv.

I know we have some very smart and interesting folks here and I'm sure most of you like to read and have your favorite books also. 

With that in mind, I'd like to start a discussion of books you read and recommend.  Look forward to learning from y'all.

Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Books=Education=Self Improvement
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 09:33:36 AM »
I read to relax in the evening. I have a series of novels by Miss Read about quaint English Village life. One series is "Thrush Green"and the other is the" Fairacre" series. 

Readable comfort food..........

Here is a nice article entitled "The comfort of Miss Read:  http://www.heightslibrary.org/wordpress/cerebralrat/?p=4

Miss Read passed away early last year, the series started in 1955 and she wrote up until 2009
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 11:38:46 AM »
LA,  I'm going to B and N in a few minutes to get a copy of Mark Levin's new book, "Liberty Amendments" add to me e-book...if I knew how I could have it done here at home on my lap top but that requires skills similar to my photo loading skills...and I'll check it out.  Hopefully, it's got some big pictures and written in JAWJA language. 

Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 11:47:28 AM »
Two super books I'd like to recommend:

History---"Undaunted Courage"by Stephen Ambrose.  This is a fantastic book about the Lewis and Clark expedition.  Brilliantly researched and well written.

Self improvement:  "Rich Dad-Poor Dad" by Robert Kiyosaki.  Great book on how to build wealth. It's what the rich teach their kids about money that the poor and middle class do not.  I think he also has one "Rich Kid-Poor Kid".  If you have children and/or grandkids this is a must read if you want them to have life with money.  Some people down play and talk down having money, but the thing money does is it gives you options that those don't have money don't have: what house to have and where to live; schools to send children to; where and when to take vacations; money to have to support hobbies; and the list can go on and on.

Dee

Offline UWFSAE

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 12:57:25 PM »
Hmm ... for escapism, I usually go to detective novels like the John D. MacDonald "Travis McGee" series from the 60s-70's.  I'm also a sucker for the John Grisham books.

If you want something to provoke some though, I'm a big fan of Stephen Levitt's "Freakonomics", Nate Silver's "The Signal & The Noise", any of Malcolm Gladwell's work, etc.

For politics, Justice Antonin Scalia has written some good stuff, especially "Making Your Case".  I'm also a fan of James Carville's books like "Buck Up, Suck Up".

For golfers, I highly recommend Harvey Penick's "Little Red Book" and Stephen Lowe's "Sir Walter and Mr. Jones".

As far as cooking/smoking/chef stuff, I went on a Michael Ruhlman kick and plowed through his "The Making/Reach/Soul of a Chef" series; the Anthony Bourdain books are great as well, as is Bill Buford's "Heat".
Joe from Crosby, TX
Smokin-It #3
Weber Genesis E-330

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 02:20:43 PM »
I am an avid reader, I like history books, historical fiction, western novels and just good fiction. I especially like anything by James Lee Burke, Randy Wayne White, Carl Hiaasen, and the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 02:23:31 PM »
Like you, I enjoy history. I also like to observe how different political groups distort the reality of history to suit their own needs. Plenty of reading for that.

It is sad that history is not being taught or emphasized in the public schools like it once was. Most people don't even know US History.

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 02:26:15 PM »
My book of choice is a kindle. I am an avid reader of low cost e-books. Most are $.99 and the rest are under $4.00. I usually pick an author and buy / read everything they have. Currently I am reading the Archer Mayor - Joe Gunther series. Not sleeping well, so I tend to read a book a night.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 02:29:13 PM »
If you like the "Dummies" series - here is one you might want to check out. BTW - I wrote it for a payment - I get nothing from additional sales - need to re-work that next time!

http://www.greencleaningfordummies.com/

Cheers,

D
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2013, 03:02:34 PM »
Ahhhh, Travis McGee

Aaahhhhh,  Travis McGee!  I read everything I could about him when I was in college.  Great series.

One of the best historical series is The Politically Incorrect Guide (PIG) series.  Some examples are: Politically Incorrect Guide to History, PIG to the Bible,  PIG to the Great Depression, PIG to Darwinism and Intelligent Design, PIG to Islam, PIG to Global Warming and Environmentalism, PIG to Capitalism.

Some other great historical works about the Founding of the country and the Founders themselves comes from a fellow named Dave Barton who has the largest collection of original documents outside of the Library of Congress.  It's the largest private collection in the country.  You can look at what he has to offer at www.wallbuilders.com if you are interested in Early American history.

Dee

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2013, 04:34:18 PM »
My book of choice is a kindle. I am an avid reader of low cost e-books. Most are $.99 and the rest are under $4.00. I usually pick an author and buy / read everything they have. Currently I am reading the Archer Mayor - Joe Gunther series. Not sleeping well, so I tend to read a book a night.

I found a couple of sites that direct you to free kindle books from Amazon. Some are not so good, but I have found some new authors I really like on the free sites.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2013, 06:33:09 PM »
One of the reasons I like the Nook is I can go to B&N and have any question or need help.  Also, I can go to their site and buy their books which many are free. The way I got my Nook is my older daughter gave it to me as a present a couple of  years ago and I now get B&N gift cards as a gift sometimes.   Dee

Offline hutcho

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2014, 07:30:12 PM »
I love to read but mostly just westerns, call me simple lol! I do have the entire L'Amour collection in leatherbound though, looks purty fancy....

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2