Author Topic: Cheeze Wiz With  (Read 1133 times)

Offline Pappymn

Cheeze Wiz With
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2013, 10:01:08 AM »

Gino's is definitely better IMO.  Besides the fact that I am not a wiz fan (I say that with all due respect to Pat's for starting the cheese steak craze but I will take provolone every time), the meat is not chopped which I think lends itself to a much better tasting sandwich.  My favorite places are still Tony Luke's and Gino's, but all of the big name places have went downhill a little bit as they have become more popular.  Even my beloved Primanti Brothers in Pittsburgh has fallen into the food TV trap.

Primanti no bueno? That has been on my list for a long time :(

Pats has to be living on tourists......a local would not pay ten bucks for that sammie.

I think you are right about Food TV.......
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Cheeze Wiz With
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2013, 11:20:50 AM »
It just has went down in terms of quality compared to the "old days."  Of course, the advantage is that there are now about 10 locations (plus the ballpark) around the Pittsburgh area so you don't have to go to the Strip District downtown to get your fix.  Mind you, I will still get one within minutes of arriving in town.  Probably a lot like a Juicy Lucy up your way.  Still need the fix, but it isn't quite the same anymore.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline pz

Re: Cheeze Wiz With
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2013, 12:40:25 AM »
I personally like real cheese on my cheese steak sandwich, but I saw on one of the cooking TV channels that fake cheese similar to cheese wiz is the authentic version of the sandwich.