Author Topic: Fried Chicken Question!  (Read 404 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Fried Chicken Question!
« Reply #-1 on: September 07, 2013, 01:24:51 AM »
My Mother -in-law used to fry the best chicken I ever ate. It was different than any I have ever had. She always fried it in Crisco with a little butter. She browned both sides and then covered and simmered. The finished chicken did not have crispy skin; it was more like it was part of the meat, bite through, and it was to die for.

She was of German heritage and a great cook. Too bad she never taught my wife to cook much.  She did learn to do drop noodles like her just from watching her. She died at a fairly young age and never had her chicken recipe wrote down. Neither my wife or I remember how much Crisco she used or how long she covered and simmered it, we think it was 15 to 30 minutes. It never tasted greasy at all.

I have tried over the years to get it right but never could. I think this winter I will try to keep good records and see if I can get it better.

If any of you have any good ideas on this I would appreciate any help I can get.
Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline pz

Re: Fried Chicken Question!
« on: September 07, 2013, 01:31:28 AM »
Difficult to say, Don.  My mother was German, and her typical method was to cook a long time, which resulted in very tender, yet savory dishes.  Your situation seems quite the paradox - typically food that is not greasy means that the fat was hot, but that usually results in crisp exterior.  Is it possible that initially the heat was high, and then lowered to "simmer" until done?  That might result in skin that is sealed with the high heat, and then lower heat might result in the texture you describe.

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 01:52:20 AM »
Difficult to say, Don.  My mother was German, and her typical method was to cook a long time, which resulted in very tender, yet savory dishes.  Your situation seems quite the paradox - typically food that is not greasy means that the fat was hot, but that usually results in crisp exterior.  Is it possible that initially the heat was high, and then lowered to "simmer" until done?  That might result in skin that is sealed with the high heat, and then lower heat might result in the texture you describe.
I am sure she browned it on a higher heat and then turned down when she covered it and simmered. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 07:47:58 AM »
Sounds like maybe there was very little oil at the beginning and that the continued cooking (covered I assume) was more of a steaming.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 12:32:26 PM »
Don't know how they do it in Germany but I learned to soak in buttermilk, flour, brown in about 1/4 inch of Crisco, simmer (covered), turning occasionally until juices run clear (about 40 minutes), uncover for 5 minutes, remove, and make gravy with the drippings.  It's always worked well for me.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 04:59:44 PM »
Soaking in buttermilk mixed with a lot of hot sauce will really help also.  Have the mixture almost pink.  The hot sauce adds flavor and not heat.  I would not mess with the heat too much because it could cause the chicken to soak up the grease.  I've done frying of the chickens with the grease coming about half way up the  meat and also deep frying with the meat completely submerged.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers