Author Topic: Internal Server Error?  (Read 616 times)

Offline terryk

Internal Server Error?
« Reply #-1 on: September 07, 2013, 12:59:04 PM »
Anyone know why I frequently get the error message below when replying to posts?  :(

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@letstalkbbq.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

And the 'webmaster@letstalkbbq.com' email address bounced back as undeliverable for some reason.
Traeger Texas Grill (075)
A-Maze-N-Tube-Smoker
Savannah Stoker II (on the wish list) :)

Offline Rummm

• If you're lookin you ain't cookin!
    • Ask-A-Butcher
Re: Internal Server Error?
« on: September 07, 2013, 01:11:37 PM »
I get that on occasion at several forum sites. All I do is clear my web browser cache, reload the page and it's fine. Not sure if it's a fix or a coincidence, but works for me.
"Culture is what your butcher would have if he were a surgeon.''

http://www.ask-a-butcher.com

Offline pz

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 02:59:54 PM »
I get that on occasion at several forum sites. All I do is clear my web browser cache, reload the page and it's fine. Not sure if it's a fix or a coincidence, but works for me.

Server 500 is a relatively common error event on shared hosting, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.  The first thing I do when this occurs is to hold the CTRL key while pressing F5, which forces your browser to fetch a fresh copy of the page.  99% of the time that fixes the issue unless there is really a problem on the server end.  If not, then try the cache clear as Rummm suggests.  If that fails, then there is a server issue, and you'll need to wait it out until it is fixed.

Offline pz

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 03:02:06 PM »
And the 'webmaster@letstalkbbq.com' email address bounced back as undeliverable for some reason.

This is a generic response generated by the server - typically most site admins do not use a "webmaster" email address.  However, I would not worry about it, because most site operators monitor their site(s) frequently and are typically well aware that there is a problem, and are already on it to repair the issue.

Offline flbentrider

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 06:56:33 PM »

This is a generic response generated by the server - typically most site admins do not use a "webmaster" email address.  However, I would not worry about it, because most site operators monitor their site(s) frequently and are typically well aware that there is a problem, and are already on it to repair the issue.

One would normally assume that, but the "404" looking for the error document (which is usually where the site-wide error handler and such operates) usually indicates that the admin will not get notified unless they go looking through the error logs, which is a lovely task indeed.

Offline pz

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 12:01:57 AM »
One would normally assume that, but the "404" looking for the error document (which is usually where the site-wide error handler and such operates) usually indicates that the admin will not get notified unless they go looking through the error logs, which is a lovely task indeed.

Indeed; I'm guilty myself of not having an error page for the server 500 errors, and I rarely go through the error logs.  However, I'm on my sites virtually every day just to check in, and that usually keeps me out of hot water