Author Topic: Going PINK....  (Read 1873 times)

Offline dawrecknq

Re: Going PINK....
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 05:22:52 PM »
Man- Just got home from work, thought I would check in. Your stories are sending chills throughtout my entire body. I knew this was something I wanted to do, I was hoping it might be something special and hopefully bring some Hope and Honor to those touched by this disease. In this short amount of time, I am even more convicted that this is what I am supposed to do. I had no idea that so many of my friends here would have stories of their own. Reading them and hearing of the successful treatments, gives me hope. May God continue to heal and keep you and yours!!!! Right now, I am raising awareness, but if and when I start "getting in the money", I WILL be donating a portion of my winnings to the CAUSE! I hope that day is soon.

For those of us who have lost loved ones to other forms of cancer; I too have felt deep pain of CANCER. I lost my very best friend and hunting partner to Lymphoma. We talked about going on an all out fully guided Elk Hunt. We had one last turkey hunt planned...he didn't win his fight, losing just 3 days before our hunt. On the morning of that hunt, they were laying him in the ground. I lost my Nephew, who is really more like my Little Brother.... Maybe sometime I will post my eulogy for Sean. He had Non-Hodkins Lymphoma; I made many a fast trip to Oklahoma City while he was losing the battle. Any time he needed or wanted me there...it was 90 mph down the highway. His little boy Parker is the apple of my eye now. Whenever he comes to visit, I have to take him fishing. And just like his Dad, he usually out fishes me!

May we win the battle soon!!!

Dan
Yoder 1320, 3- VUDS's and a couple of Wally World  grills. Working on more all the time.
"May the Smoke stay out of your eyes..but forever in your heart!"

Offline dawrecknq

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2013, 05:28:03 PM »
Jaxon- so glad to hear her report. Will definitely keep her husband in prayer my Friend!

Thank you, Dan...what a thoughtful way of showing your support AND raising awareness!

One of my sisters had a mastectomy 5 years ago and her last check-up was clear...Praise God!
Her husband is undergoing treatment now for a rare type of lymphoma and we are all praying for his recovery.
Yoder 1320, 3- VUDS's and a couple of Wally World  grills. Working on more all the time.

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2013, 08:49:15 PM »
My Aunt and Uncle both passed from cancer. I was able to visit and say goodby just before, never seen anything like it before and hope to never again.

Your doing a great thing. Thank you sincerely
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2013, 09:16:01 PM »
Just a quick story...

My uncle I am very close with is a cancer survivor. He ended up being diagnosed with throat cancer that had moved to his tongue and jaw. The story of how he was diagnosed is what is interesting.

He has full dental bridges. His teeth were in such bad shape years ago that he had them all pulled out and replaced. And he would go in every three months to get a professional cleaning from his dentist.

The same dental assistant had been cleaning his teeth for years. Well on one of his regular cleanings she had noticed a very small white spot at the back of his throat. She asked him if he ate something hot that burned the back of his throat and he stated that there was nothing he was aware of. She wanted him to come back in a few days to see if it heals and goes away.

A few days later my uncle returns and she still sees the spot. She convinces my uncle to go to the doctor and have it checked. He was reluctant but decided to go in to make her feel better.

That doctor trip ended up being a diagnosis of throat cancer. They removed part of his jaw, tounge, and throat. After months of recovery and speech therapy to re-learn how to speak due to his tongue was missing part of it he went back in to get his cleaning.

She immidiately saw the scar and reconstructive work. My uncle told her that she saved his life. If he had waited to go in he would not be here today. He never felt any pain and if he had then the cancer would have been too far along.

So after she got done with the cleaning he thanked her as usual and gave her a tip as he normally did. She always reluctantly accepted the tip. Normally $20 or so. Well this time he tipped her $2,000. He told her that this covers the future tips he would have missed if she had not told him to get checked. They hugged and she still does his normal cleanings every three months.

My uncle was a heavy smoker. He had been smoking since he was nine. Smoking caused his throat cancer. He quit smoking after he was diagnosed.

His cancer was preventable by not smoking. He was very lucky to have someone who cared enough to say something. She could have seen it and not said anything. Or just figured it was no big deal like my uncle did.

He calls her his "guardian angel" and I would have to agree with him.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline dawrecknq

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2013, 07:02:00 PM »
For any of you who know Survivors that you would like to have added to the canopy: I was thinking last night: If these wonderful Ladies were at my cook site and signing my canopy; would they want to add anything other than their names. Would they have a words of encouragement, a favorite Bible verse that gave them the courage to keep fighting, a special poem that helped. That got me to thinking that I would make this offer to them. If you would like, can you ask her; what  would "She" like to have on my canopy. For me, this is about honoring them, so whatever anyone wants, I am OK with. I appreciate it.

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2013, 08:31:49 PM »
Thank you for doing this Dan. I lost my first wife to breast cancer in 1996. She passed away a few weeks before her 46th birthday exactly 6 years, 6 months and 6 days after she was diagnosed and fought a long hard battle that included numerous chemos, radiation and a bone marrow transplant. Our daughter is walking in a Susan Komen 60 mile walk in 3 days out in Seattle in honor of her Mother.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline dawrecknq

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2013, 08:55:29 PM »
TP- All I can say is WOW!! 60 miles! Is she collecting any donations or just walking? Either way, I will either donate $20.00 to her walk or to Susan G. Komen directly by website in all of your honor. Sorry to hear about your first Wife.

Dan

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2013, 09:45:37 PM »
Marcia would read this Jimmy Valvano quote aloud, at least once a day, "Cancer can take away all of my physical abilities.  It cannot touch my mind, it cannot touch my heart, and it cannot touch my soul.  And those three things are going to carry on forever."

During her worst times I could hear her whispering another of his famous quotes, "Don't Give Up... Don't Give Up... Don't Ever Give Up." 

I'm not going to ask her 'cause she views cancer as insignificant in her life (she focuses on positive aspects) but I'm certain that she would advise, as Jimmy did, "Don't Give Up... Don't Give Up... Don't Ever Give Up." 

You missed a bit of greatness if you missed his ESPY Arthur Ashe Award speech.

Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline dawrecknq

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2013, 06:58:16 PM »
PM- Didn't miss it and it was one the most epic, awe inspiring ever given!!! That is the quote that I shall put with her name then. I am glad that she only looks to the positive!

Dan

Offline dawrecknq

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2013, 07:00:26 PM »
Got the canopy, flag poles and a couple of the flags today; will set it up this weekend and get some pic's. I am still waiting on one pink ribbon flag and if it's not here by my next contest; I will substitute an American Flag.

Dan