Author Topic: Costco  (Read 3570 times)

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
Costco
« Reply #-1 on: September 10, 2013, 09:21:12 AM »
Awhile back I posted that I got a Costco membership for a Father's Day gift and my initial impressions of the place.  I'd like to give y'all an update.

First, I'm retired military and as such I have the privilege of shopping at the military commissary.  The one I use is one of the best in the Army, Ft Gordon, GA. The prices at the commissary are significantly lower than those at super markets such as Publix, Kroger, etc with the exception of some of their sales.

After doing a complete month and cycle of shopping for a month at both the commissary and Costco I'm able to make a pretty good comparison.  What I found is Costco will beat the commissary on about half the items I buy.  The commissary is cheaper on vegetables and meat -though the quality at Costco is somewhat better- for example, rebeye at the commissary is about $7.20 a pound and about $7.80 at Costco and about $11 at Publix.  Of course, you have to buy more at Costco because of the packaging.

Cheese, dairy products, paper products, coffee, disposable aluminum pan, pecans , AAA and AA batteries are examples of things that are cheaper at Costco.

I saw nothing of inferior quality at Costco.

My purpose of telling y'all this is I never really thought about joining Costco because I didn't think I would save the $55 membership fee over the other benefits I have from the military.  I was wrong. If you have a Costco (I can't speak for Sam's) available to you I recommend you join.  The service is super.  The employees are all friendly and seem to enjoy being there.  The company apparently has an excellent training program to impress upon the the employees how important the customers are.

Hopefully, this will help some of y'all out.

Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Costco
« on: September 10, 2013, 09:29:50 AM »
I keep hoping that Costco will build in my part of NC...thus far the closest one is Greenville, SC. About 1 hour. We have a Sam's Club close by, but I *DO* prefer Costco for almost everything.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 09:34:40 AM »
Great analysis. I concur.

In San Antonio, we have a number of military installations and the same is true. I generally go to Sam's Club up in San Marcos. The major reasons why is that it is less crowded, less traffic to get there, and easy to navigate. The converse is true going south to San Antonio. In addition, whatever savings I would receive, I use up on the price of fuel @ $3.32 per gallon. I go to Sam's Club for he quality of meats and prices on bulk items. I shop locally at Wal-mart and H.E.B for everything else. Both are very close.

It use to be a big advantage to shop in the commissary, but the older that I am and less mobile, it is much easier to shop locally with very little difference in expense. I would try Costco, but I have the same issue of traffic, miles and congestion. So, I am sticking to Sam's Club. Since I am growing more grumpy as I get older, I prefer to be in a relaxed, less tenuous environment.

I am glad that you report good service at Costco. Sam's Club seems to be improving in that regard.

I am on the same page.

Ed

An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline GrillGeek

• www.pelletgrilloutfitters.com
Costco
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 09:55:10 AM »
Costco...the $300 dollar store. I never walk out of there for less than that. Unfortunately that's weekly.

If you spend enough there, the executive membership is worth it. You get 1% back on all purchases, which for me more than pays for the membership fees each year.

Their American Express card is fantastic. We pretty much use the Amex for everything. You get some great cash rebates back each year with that. I have one for personal use and one for business.
Owner of Simi Pellet Grills- The Pellet Grill Outfitters
www.pelletgrilloutfitters.com

805-285-2618

Offline Pappymn

Costco
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 10:41:20 AM »

Costco...the $300 dollar store. I never walk out of there for less than that. Unfortunately that's weekly.

If you spend enough there, the executive membership is worth it. You get 1% back on all purchases, which for me more than pays for the membership fees each year.

Their American Express card is fantastic. We pretty much use the Amex for everything. You get some great cash rebates back each year with that. I have one for personal use and one for business.

My story too. Actually the executive membership is a no brainer. If you don't spend enough to make up for the higher annual fee, they send you a check for the difference at renewal time. You can't lose.

Love my $300 dollar store......
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline GrillGeek

• www.pelletgrilloutfitters.com
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 11:48:02 AM »

My story too. Actually the executive membership is a no brainer. If you don't spend enough to make up for the higher annual fee, they send you a check for the difference at renewal time. You can't lose.

Love my $300 dollar store......

I didn't know that they refunded the difference. Good to know!
Owner of Simi Pellet Grills- The Pellet Grill Outfitters
www.pelletgrilloutfitters.com

805-285-2618

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 12:16:24 PM »
love Costco.  it my $200 store.  can't leave w/ out spending at least $200.  its where I got my traeger.  we buy everything from Costco.  beds, sheets, washer, dryer, frig, clothes (only me, my wife goes to macys).  I do love that every year they send us a big check.  one year the check bought us a big flat screen, another year a brand new bed.  got to love ya some Costco.  I really like going there when my wife isn't w/ me and I have no list.  that's her fault all the way.  I can't go into Costco w/ out my list or it gets ugly.  oh, I need that.  I need alum pans too, oh, ribs.  I love shrimp.  and bam.  $200 and you haven't even gotten to the back of the store yet.    :'(
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Hub

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 02:54:09 PM »
I'm with Tee -- would love to try a Costco and have heard good things but none are within any reasonable drive.  Our Sam's in Hickory, NC is a pretty good one, though.  The savings on my routine cooking supplies (foil, spices, condiments, etc.) fairly quickly makes up for the membership fee.  They are also a dependable source for unbrined ribs and fairly decent packer briskets.  Coffee K-cups (in huge boxes) are a lot cheaper, too.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 04:22:59 PM »
Maybe during the Gathering we can arrange a trip to Costco for those who don't have one...just to see what  you're missing.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 06:07:02 PM »
Awhile back I posted that I got a Costco membership for a Father's Day gift and my initial impressions of the place.  I'd like to give y'all an update.

First, I'm retired military and as such I have the privilege of shopping at the military commissary.  The one I use is one of the best in the Army, Ft Gordon, GA. The prices at the commissary are significantly lower than those at super markets such as Publix, Kroger, etc with the exception of some of their sales.

After doing a complete month and cycle of shopping for a month at both the commissary and Costco I'm able to make a pretty good comparison.  What I found is Costco will beat the commissary on about half the items I buy.  The commissary is cheaper on vegetables and meat -though the quality at Costco is somewhat better- for example, rebeye at the commissary is about $7.20 a pound and about $7.80 at Costco and about $11 at Publix.  Of course, you have to buy more at Costco because of the packaging.

Cheese, dairy products, paper products, coffee, disposable aluminum pan, pecans , AAA and AA batteries are examples of things that are cheaper at Costco.

I saw nothing of inferior quality at Costco.

My purpose of telling y'all this is I never really thought about joining Costco because I didn't think I would save the $55 membership fee over the other benefits I have from the military.  I was wrong. If you have a Costco (I can't speak for Sam's) available to you I recommend you join.  The service is super.  The employees are all friendly and seem to enjoy being there.  The company apparently has an excellent training program to impress upon the the employees how important the customers are.

Hopefully, this will help some of y'all out.

Dee

I'm with you on this one Dee! I am also retired military and I also work at the commissary at Fort Stewart. I have both a Costco and Sam's Club membership.  We do have a few things as you said cheaper but the majority of the larger items, especially the meat I will either buy from Costco or Sam's.  I personally like the quality at those places versus the commissary.  We have a couple of Sam's clubs in Savannah but no Costco. The closest one to me is Jacksonsville, which we like since we go and spend the weekends down there quite a bit. Especially now with the NFL starting and the Jaguars!  8) Hey they are heading in the right direction now..(I think)  ???

Mike
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline PrinceofQ32178

• Greenville, SC
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 07:35:06 PM »
I keep hoping that Costco will build in my part of NC...thus far the closest one is Greenville, SC. About 1 hour. We have a Sam's Club close by, but I *DO* prefer Costco for almost everything.

That's the Costco I used to have a membership at. My wife got a free membership a month ago to Sam's Club so we started shopping at the one down the road on Woodruff Road. I personally like Costco better than Sam's since they seem to have a better meat selection at our local Costco. Prices also seem to be cheaper for stuff at our local Costco as well.

On a side note...did you see a new Cabela's is being built next to that Costco in Greenville.? I was hoping for a Bass Pro Shop since they carry a lot of good BBQ rubs I like. Either way a Cabela's will be nice as well. :)

~Jay Prince
• Lg Grill Dome • Jr. Akorn • GMG DB • GMG DC • Char-Broil GRILL2GO X200 • Cook-Air • Element Portable • OptiGrill • Napoleon Kettle Grill • 14.5 WSM • Weber Genesis Silver B •

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 07:49:40 PM »
 Costco makes it a point to only carry quality merchandise, I like there Kirkland signature jeans for 13 bucks a pair. I recently bought a pair of Levis for $50 bucks and 2 belt loops broke in 1 month. Levi Straus would be ashamed :)

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 10:45:42 PM »
Prince,  A Cabela's is opening next to our Costco the spring of 2014 and a Bass Pro late fall or so 2014 about four miles away.  Dee

Offline PrinceofQ32178

• Greenville, SC
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 11:25:19 AM »
Prince,  A Cabela's is opening next to our Costco the spring of 2014 and a Bass Pro late fall or so 2014 about four miles away.  Dee

That will be really cool! I like all the grills and smokers and BBQ rubs/sauces that Bass Pro carries. Cabela's seems to only want to carry there own rub and like one other brand from what I've seen. I've heard talk of a Bass Pro Shop coming here, but I'm not holding my breath. ;)

~Jay Prince
• Lg Grill Dome • Jr. Akorn • GMG DB • GMG DC • Char-Broil GRILL2GO X200 • Cook-Air • Element Portable • OptiGrill • Napoleon Kettle Grill • 14.5 WSM • Weber Genesis Silver B •

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 11:39:41 AM »

That will be really cool! I like all the grills and smokers and BBQ rubs/sauces that Bass Pro carries. Cabela's seems to only want to carry there own rub and like one other brand from what I've seen. I've heard talk of a Bass Pro Shop coming here, but I'm not holding my breath. ;)

~Jay Prince

DOn't know about the Bass Pro - but I do know for a fact ;) that you guys in Greenville are getting a Cabela's...which is kind of Bass Pro+ IMHO...
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401