Author Topic: Picked this up Today  (Read 1383 times)

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Picked this up Today
« Reply #-1 on: September 28, 2013, 09:57:35 PM »
...why my wife never leaves me alone with the kids (let alone for 3+ days).  A nearby guy on another forum knew I was looking at getting a one-touch and saw this a few minutes after it posted today.  It was only about 10 miles from my house, so I called the guy.  I was the 1st caller.  A half hour later, I had the kids and the grill in the car.  Got the 22.5" OTG, a chimney starter (not like I needed another but he didn't need it anymore), the charcoal baskets and 1/2 bag of blue for $50.  I didn't have the heart to tell the guy I had almost 700 lbs of charcoal in my garage since he was so happy that he was giving me what he had left.

Here are the CL photos in case the link gets deleted.  It needs cleaned up, but structurally it is fine.  There is no rust in or on the grill itself, and the damper isn't gooped up, so I figure it is a win at that price.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/for/4096642373.html

[attachment deleted by admin]
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Pappymn

Picked this up Today
« on: September 28, 2013, 10:16:48 PM »
Nice. That hook thing on the side is around 12 bucks. Think you got a great deal
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline hikerman

Re: Picked this up Today
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 10:20:32 PM »
Nice deal SB!

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 10:29:39 PM »
Great score!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 10:33:47 PM »
great score
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 02:20:11 AM »
nicely done.  perfect score.   ;)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 08:47:46 AM »
That's a good deal!!

Offline Sam3

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 08:54:36 AM »
That's a great price. What time is dinner?  ;D
MAK 1 Star #385
Bradley OBS w/mods
WSM 22.5
Weber Platinum
Char Broil BEESR
La Caja China
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 09:41:15 AM »
What a score. I saw where they are selling Bob Hopes house here in Toluca Lake. It is one of only 22 properties in LA county that is 5 acres plus. They say whenever Hope went on tour his wife Delores would have additions made to the house. When Bob would return he would say he was coming home to a different house.

You can use this story when your wife gets home and sees the new grill and gives you the stink eye  ;) ;)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 09:45:12 AM »
Good score.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
Picked this up Today
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 10:50:40 AM »
Great buy!

Mike
Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2013, 12:58:38 PM »
That is a nice find! And a great price!

Enjoy and share your cooks. Weber strikes again!

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2013, 01:39:47 PM »
Got it cleaned up this morning (as much as is possible with a high pressure hose and some throwaway towels).  I started thawing out an arm roast after I bought it yesterday so that I would have something to throw on while I was burning it in.  Fired it up mostly to get the smell right but also to loosen up whatever else was caked on so that I could at least give the grates a proper hot scraping.  There is something just a little off about anybody else's cooker's smell.  I needed to make it smell like mine (Kingsford blue, hickory and beef I guess being the dominant "notes").  I also noted a hint of someone throwing cigarette butts in.  Luckily it wasn't bad, but that is nasty.  The smell is gone now.  Threw the meat one when the temp hit around 300.  I was running two Maverick pit probes, and amazingly the lid thermo and both probes were almost identical the whole time.  The roast was almost 3 lbs and still 1/2 frozen when I started.  I cooked it completely naked since it was so hard that nothing was really going to permeate the meat.  A couple of slivers of hickory were just for my own olfactory amusement.  Filled up both indirect baskets and put some charcoal in the middle too.  I even used the new chimney started just so that everything/every area of every grate included could get christened.  Ran full vents open the whole time with temps around 400 mostly but up around 500 by the end of the meat cook and for a little while after.  I was basically willing to scrap the piece of meat to get the grill burned in, but it turned out pretty damn good.  Took less than an hour (with a flip at about 45 minutes) to cook it to 145.  Sorry I didn't get any pics, but I overshot my temp by about 10 degrees (running near 500 degrees will do that) so I could only rest for a few minutes and then me and the boys had to eat quickly before it turned.  It was still plenty red in the middle, and because it was partially frozen it didn't flare up the charcoals very much.  The outside was dark but not burnt.  Once I had the grill tempo below 300 I went to work on the grates.  All is right in the world now.  I figure I won't get in too much trouble since my wife and kids tell me all the time that they just want some "grilled" food.  Sacrilege in my opinion, but if it makes them happy...  Also, I only had to touch the mac machine for $20 since I had a little over $30 in the "honey don't know" pocket.  As far as she knows it was a $20 CL score.

The part I am leaving out about why I will be in at least some trouble is because I am actually about to start thinning the heard of cookers.  I have a monster custom (not custom from a stock design but COMPLETELY custom) stick burner being built right now that will be completed in about 3 weeks.  I'll leave the details a mystery until I have some pics and stuff, but it is a 20X36 main chamber with a 24X20X36 vertical box and a 22X20X24 firebox.  All 1/4" steel and literally every option I could dream up in my head and still fit it on my patio and under the roof with proper ventilation.  It is already fully paid for, so it is really hard waiting.  It is going to be an absolute beast, and for about the same amount of money that I would have paid one of the Houston custom guys I was able to build my dream cooker.  He is delivering it for free, so that was a big cost savings right there since I am sure it will be pushing 1/2 ton.  I have barely been able to use an offset (the one I got down here was just a POS to hold me over for a little while) since I moved to TX.  I was renting for a while, so I sold or disposed of all of my cookers when I came down then started over.  Bottom line is that the 22.5" WSM is going away (if anyone is in N. TX and wants a deal...) along with my offset (probably going to have the scrap yard take it for the sheet value), an ECB and a roaster.  I am going to keep my electric for those times when you don't want to cook inside but don't or can't use any fuel either.  So the heard will be three.  The one thing that I am not sure if my wife will catch onto is that a couple of the mods on the new one were specifically to add dimension beyond typical firebox grilling ability (OK, that's enough hints).
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 02:08:59 PM by sliding_billy »
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline txpops

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2013, 02:35:38 PM »
I'm down in College Station. How much are you asking for the WSM. I really want to add a charcoal cooker and I'm debating between a WSM and a PBC.

Mike
Original Bradley smoker w/dual element mod
Dual-Probe auber pid
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil Beesr
Outdoor Gourmet Pellet Grill
Camp Chef DLX pellet grill
Old Smokey #22 charcoal grill
Excalibur 9 tray dehydrator

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2013, 02:39:24 PM »
I would do $200 for someone on the forum willing to come get it.  I have no vehicle capable of carrying it assembled.