Author Topic: Rumtopf  (Read 2336 times)

Offline pz

Rumtopf
« Reply #-1 on: September 28, 2013, 11:17:45 PM »
A rumtopf (literal translation is "rum pot") is an interesting earthenware container designed to hold fruit and strong rum (some add sugar, I don't) until the fruit is completely saturated with rum.  The fruit along with rum is then spooned over vanilla ice cream (at least in my family history).  Tonight I opened my pot to sample some of the nectar.

Here's my pot.  14 years ago (yes, that's not a typo), I filled the pot with strawberries and rum.  Every 6 months or so (or maybe a few years), I top it off with more rum, depending on evaporation - the rum liquor actually seeps ever so slowly through the wall of the vessel. You can see the black seepage in the plate and on the walls.

This is what it looks like inside the pot tonight - I have not topped it off in at least two years.  The berries you see are 14 years old, as is at least some of the rum

I had to try a glass...

... with some Bradley smoked Gouda and extra crisp crackers...

... and to finish the experience, a Toll House cookie baked in a 4-inch cast iron pan - nothing like a fresh, gooey cookie with a glass of fine spirit.

This rum is like none other I have ever tasted - the fruity notes from the berries on the palate has developed over the past 14 years, subtle notes of honey, berries, and tropical fruits.

Offline hikerman

Re: Rumtopf
« on: September 28, 2013, 11:27:18 PM »
Wow PZ, after seeing this I need a comfy, cozy chair to sit in. Very nice nightcap!

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 02:18:02 AM »
a big old cookie and a little snort.  sounds like a perfect evening to me.  done very nicely too.   8)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 06:01:54 AM »
My complete lack of class has just been made apparent to me.  ???
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 08:05:04 AM »
This is really interesting pz. My grandparents on my father's side were full German and came here from Germany before the war. On my mother's side my grandmother was German and my Grandfather was Canadian. I have never heard of this tradition before.

I really enjoyed this post and thanks for sharing pz ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 08:17:09 AM »
Very Interesting, I need a rumtopf jar now :)

Offline Sam3

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 09:19:44 AM »
I've never seen this before. Great post pz!
MAK 1 Star #385
Bradley OBS w/mods
WSM 22.5
Weber Platinum
Char Broil BEESR
La Caja China
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 09:53:54 AM »
That sure looks like something I would want to try PZ!!! Looks good. When we were first married we had an old German neighbor who used to make Cherry Bounce for Christmas,  a fifth of Kesslers whiskey, she said it had to be Kesslers, a pound of rock candy and a quart of cherries with the seeds. Pour all into a gallon jug and let set for 3 to 4 months. Strain before serving. I never made it but she gave me a half glass and the sugar makes it go straight to your brain! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 10:07:22 AM »
My complete lack of class has just been made apparent to me.  ???

I know what you mean. I had a Coors Light and a corn dog last night.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 06:14:01 PM »
pz, that is WAY cool. I can't imagine how hard it's been to resist "testing" along the way. Is there a certain rum you would recommend? This sounds like a great retirement plan! Thanks for the idea.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 06:18:06 PM »
pz - that looks remarkable. My problem would be with my memory after a few years I would forget where I put it. ;D
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline pz

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2013, 11:51:25 PM »
pz - that looks remarkable. My problem would be with my memory after a few years I would forget where I put it. ;D

;D  that's why I still have it GusRobin!  It is right on my counter, and because I am so accustomed to seeing it there, I forget to even think about it  ;D

pz, that is WAY cool. I can't imagine how hard it's been to resist "testing" along the way. Is there a certain rum you would recommend? This sounds like a great retirement plan! Thanks for the idea.

lol, like GusRobin I mostly forget that it is there!  As to rum, I simply use the bottom shelf kind - quality does not matter because it ages so long with the fruit.  The color you see in the photo is entirely due to age and fruit - the rum was water-clear when it went in.

It is fun to play with it along the way, and works almost like a sourdough starter - you keep adding fruit and rum as you use it.  Then the real fun is to play with it - the sky is the limit.  You can use any vessel as long as it does not have any metal associated with it.  For the first time, I put fresh cleaned strawberries into the vessel, and then filled it with rum intending to try it after a month (but forgot all about it for a long time).  The original method was intended to infuse the fruit with rum, but I found that this long term method makes a yummy nightcap. 

As the rumtopf matures, you can add better rum for a variation, but I've not really noticed any perceptible difference, however, if you blend the elixir with a good quality rum, you have a completely different taste treat - makes you feel kind of like a distiller blending rums.  A while ago I posted a topic about Pyrat rum - I use the attractive empty bottles to store my finished elixir, then add more fruit and rum.

Offline happyappy

• Go Apps!
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2013, 08:59:02 AM »
That sure looks like something I would want to try PZ!!! Looks good. When we were first married we had an old German neighbor who used to make Cherry Bounce for Christmas,  a fifth of Kesslers whiskey, she said it had to be Kesslers, a pound of rock candy and a quart of cherries with the seeds. Pour all into a gallon jug and let set for 3 to 4 months. Strain before serving. I never made it but she gave me a half glass and the sugar makes it go straight to your brain! Don

My neighbor just shared his Cherry Bounce with me.  He makes his with Jack Daniels.  Very Very tasty for sipping on a cool autumn evening.
Camp Chef Pellet Grill
BEESR
Cook Air Grill
Weber Genesis
Barrel House Cooker