Author Topic: Baked Steak, Scalloped Potatoes and Corn  (Read 2122 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Baked Steak, Scalloped Potatoes and Corn
« Reply #-1 on: September 30, 2013, 08:47:28 AM »
Sept 29 2013

My wife is finally home after three days in the hospital for both knee replacements and two weeks in rehab therapy. She is doing well for being 70! The first day we were both tired from moving her back home so we got carry ins. I asked her what she wanted for our first meal and I said I had baked steak in mind. She said that’s what I had in mind, after 47 years together sometimes we are on the same wave length!

Saturday I had to mow the grass then we had company in the afternoon. I was tired again so we had carry ins. I would fix the steak Sunday. I am finding doing her usual work too; the dishes, the wash and the cleaning keeps me busy all the time!

Baked steak was one of my Mother’s great meals and she had cheesy scalloped potatoes and scalloped corn as sides most of the time. She usually used sirloin, browned it then baked covered with Campbell’s mushroom soup. You can make your own gravy but as a step saver I have been using a jar of Heinz’s savory beef gravy.

I don’t have a set recipe but just eyeball most of the ingredients. I bake all at 350 deg. The potatoes I bake covered for 1 ½ hours and remove the cover the last 20 to 25 minutes. As soon as I get the potatoes in I brown the steak, add the gravy and bake for 1 hour covered and remove the cover the last 20 minutes. The corn goes in for 45 minutes.

For the potatoes I peel about 2 pounds and slice about 3/16 inch thick. In a bowl add 1 can of Campbell’s cheddar cheese soup, 1/3 to ½ cup of half and half cream or milk and a handful of shredded sharp cheddar. Mix well and pour into a greased baking dish, bake covered. Add more shredded cheese after removing the cover.

I like to use sirloin but I had four pieces of round steak frozen I used. When I use round steak I add a little Adolf’s tenderizer, a little salt and pepper. Dredge in flour then pound with a meat mallet a little on each side. I don’t overdo it but I like that it gets some of the flour in the meat. Brown in a skillet with a little olive oil remove the meat, pour off the excess grease and deglaze with a little water. Add the meat back in and cover with the gravy. Bake covered for one hour; remove the cover the last 20 minutes.

My basic scalloped corn recipe is 1 14 oz. can of whole kernel corn and 1 can of creamed corn, a half cup of milk, 1 or 2 eggs, a cup of saltine cracker crumbs and a teaspoon of sugar. Mix all together and pour in a greased baking dish. Cut 2 to 4 butter pats in half and push down in the corn mix. Bake at 350 deg. for 45 minutes.  With one egg it will be runnier and with two it will set up more.

For my corn this time I had a pound of frozen fresh sweet corn to use, I added an 8 oz. can of creamed corn, a 1/3 cup of half and half, 2 eggs beaten, 2 tablespoons of sour cream, a cup of saltine cracker crumbs and a teaspoon of sugar.

Start preparing your potatoes 2 hours before you want to eat and this meal will be ready in just 2 hours.

I had baked a loaf of Pillsbury crusty French bread to serve with the meal. My wife enjoyed her first home cooked meal she had in a while. The steak was not fork tender but easily cut with a kitchen knife and all tasted good.

Before I finished I went back and added some bread and gravy to my dish, I love gravy bread!

Potatoes ready to bake

Steak seasoned

Steak ready to brown

Steak browned

Steaks done

Potatoes done

Corns done

My supper

Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: Baked Steak, Scalloped Potatoes and Corn
« on: September 30, 2013, 09:32:53 AM »
Glad to hear your wife is home and on the mend, Don! That's great news.

The baked steak dinner sounds and looks excellent. Thanks for the great explanation and pictures, that is one I will be making this winter.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 10:03:35 AM »
A smooth recovery wish for your Mrs. Don. If you keep feeding her like that - I will bet she is running to the table soon! :) What a great looking comfort food dinner.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Sam3

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 10:17:38 AM »
Wow Don!!
What a great meal!! Glad your wife is home too.
MAK 1 Star #385
Bradley OBS w/mods
WSM 22.5
Weber Platinum
Char Broil BEESR
La Caja China
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 10:35:43 AM »
Wow! That is a great cook Don!
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline hikerman

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 10:43:31 AM »
Glad Mrs. Smokin' Don is home and doing well!
And the King of Comfort Food comes thru again!  Great meal Don, as Tee said with food like this she'll be better in no time!

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 11:09:17 AM »
Goon news, and great meal.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline pz

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 01:56:17 PM »
Glad to hear your wife is home and on the mend, Don! That's great news.

The baked steak dinner sounds and looks excellent. Thanks for the great explanation and pictures, that is one I will be making this winter.

X2

I could eat bread and gravy most any time!

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 01:43:57 AM »
awesome. 
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline Wing Commander

• Visit my BBQ-Blog!
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 03:13:44 AM »
Glad to read those good news about your wife, Don. I bet she'll be fine very soon with food like that.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 07:28:51 AM »
Great to hear your wife is doing so well Don and back home!

Nice homecoming meal there ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 10:59:38 AM »
Glad to hear that Mrs SD is doing well.

Amazing comfort meal.  It's reminiscent of something momma used to make—but she never made baked steak  I'll try to duplicate that cook someday.  You provided the kind of specificity I need.

Did you cook any or all of it in your traeger? 
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 11:26:30 AM »
Don, we are so glad to hear your wife is recovering well and you are taking good care of things for her.

I really appreciate these recipes and especially the details and pictures.  Since I haven't learned to "wing it", I really needed the details you provided.  It all looks so good.  We'll definitely be cookin' this soon.
Is it okay if I use your pictures when I post?   ::)
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2013, 03:12:37 PM »
She is bound to get better in a hurry with Don manning the grill. Best wishes for her recovery.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 08:54:53 PM »
Smokin Don, I made this for dinner tonight.  We split a sirloin.  We each had a piece about as big as Marcia's hand.  I didn't have the timing down as precise as you but the steak and corn held well for the spuds to finish cooking.  I thought that everything was wonderful!  Marcia would have liked the corn to be somewhat creamier.  Nevertheless she ate two helpings.

Thanks for a great recipe and the detail that made it easy to duplicate.

BTW, I wasn't certain about the wine so I chose a Beaujolais.  A good wine but it was a bit overpowered by the gravy.  Next time (and there will be a next time) I'll try a Pinot Noir.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas