Author Topic: Me is becoming less ignorant  (Read 759 times)

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
Me is becoming less ignorant
« Reply #-1 on: October 22, 2013, 09:16:38 AM »
I'm found I can't get smarter, but I've found I can become less ignorant. Like many of you here I enjoy learning. One of the things I'm doing and  really enjoy is taking some online courses from Hillsdale College up there in Michigan.  They offer free courses on The Constitution, US History, and Economics.  These are done by the same professors who teach them at the college.  Just to give  you a flavor of the type of school it is every student must take multiple semesters on The Constitution.  Each course is set up so you can take the weekly installments at your leisure.  One of the interesting parts is the discussion board which takes place each week in each course.
So, if y'all are interested, check it out at www.Hillsdale.edu and search for online courses.  By the way, this is one of the very few schools that take zero dollars from the government. As a result,  they have to follow few if any federal mandates put on those who take money from the feds.

Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
Re: Me is becoming less ignorant
« on: October 22, 2013, 09:24:11 AM »
Dee..ya can't be too smart, or pretty, thin or too rich. WTG..I know you like that kind of stuff. I finished college at 47 years old, so keep on keepin on. Pam .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 09:36:31 AM »
That's a double edge sword Dee. You are learning so much about the US Constitution that you are becoming more aware of the abuses to the "Law of the Land". The US Constitution was designed by our founders to protect the citizens of the USA from government.

Thanks to the Marine Corps, I had the wonderful opportunity to study American government earning a BA in Political Science, an MA in Public Administration, an MBA in Information Technology, and a PhD in Political Science. I don't think that this makes me any smarter. Just more frustrated.

The Chinese say that as you grow old, you acquire more wisdom. Wisdom, they say tells you how little you really know. Ah, so, .....That is the way of the world, Grasshopper.

Ed
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 09:40:54 AM by veryolddog »
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline Sailor1

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 10:08:02 AM »
Good for you Dee.  When you learn and understand the Constitution then I would urge you to learn all you can about Title 42.  Some very eye opening stuff in Title 42  ;D

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 10:10:31 AM »
I don't think that this makes me any smarter. Just more frustrated.

+1  :(
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline tnjimbob

• I'm a grillin & smokin' fool.
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 10:44:17 AM »
That is awesome, Dee. I have been a subscriber to the Imprimis newsletter from Hillsdale for a long time, but I was not aware of free online classes for the Constitution, etc. Going to have to check into this. Thanks for sharing!
Rec Tec pellet grill
Traeger Lil' Tex Elite 07E
Weber WSM
Weber SS Performer
Weber OTG w/ rotisserie
Char Broil SRG
A-maze-n-tube smoker
Hyperfast Orange Thermapen

Offline Pappymn

Me is becoming less ignorant
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 10:59:54 AM »
Should be mandatory for every student in high school to take these courses. Sadly it is not.

Nice job Dee!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 11:17:56 AM by Pappymn »
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 11:06:29 AM »
I neglected to mention the obvious, but then I remember IR2Dum, Don, might read this....the courses offer no credit.  Sorry for insulting y'all's intelligence but Don needed that info. ;)  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 11:19:11 AM »
I was just talking to my wife about Hillsdale college.  she starts laughing.  she is going to start takes courses from there just for her own benefit.  she thinks very highly of that college.  and my wife is very smart.  way smarter than me.  i just cook ribs in the backyard.  thanks for this dee.  :)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Hub

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 11:33:23 AM »
Learning is what life is all about.  When I cease to learn, I will know I'm dead.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 12:08:21 PM »
Thanks for sharing this, Dee. You sent me this info some time ago, I've been taking some of the courses and sharing them with my daughters. They are excellent!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 12:12:06 PM »
The "Impiris" newsletter Cliff is talking about is free, comes out monthly either online or hard copy and contains transcripts of recent speeches given at the college by prominent people.  The speeches run the spectrum of topics and mostly presenting the Conservative point of view. Dee

Offline Ron D

• Fire up the grill or smoker and get cooking
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 04:27:03 PM »
Should be mandatory for every student in high school to take these courses. Sadly it is not.

Nice job Dee!

It was when I went to school many,many moons ago.
The Big Easy
Jenn-Air 5 burner grill
Brinkman Offset smoker
Brinkman Smoke and Go
MES 30 inch