Author Topic: Keeping spices  (Read 2042 times)

Offline fishingbouchman

Keeping spices
« Reply #-1 on: October 24, 2013, 10:50:42 AM »
So somewhere in the moving process the spices must have been exposed to some high humidity and have started clumping.  One became a solid mass.  What is the best way to store spices to prevent this?  Any way to revive them? 

Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Keeping spices
« on: October 24, 2013, 11:07:17 AM »
You may be successful with warming them gently in you oven at its lowest setting. Take the lid off first...
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline pz

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 11:12:02 AM »
What kind of spices? I always store in glass with tight lid and have never had problems.

Tee is correct as to attempting reviving, but you'll lose much of the more volatile organics in the herbs - don't know a way around that.

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 11:48:57 AM »
Spices are just kept in original package.  What about putting surran wrap over and screwing down lid to make it air tight. 
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 02:44:19 PM »
 Tee's approach to saving them is what I would try as well. Unless you have a dehydrator.
When I get containers larger than I will use fairly quickly I store the bulk in glass jars. Place what I will use fairly soon in smaller glass containers.
 It is very humid here along the coast..   
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 06:46:16 PM »
The problem with the saran wrap - and even the metal or plastic lids - is that I do not know what the temperature tolerance of those materials are, without more information form the manufacturer. The metal lids should hold up - but the ink may not be stable - and can out gas, possibly tainting the spices....

If you can - the best way I know to salvage damp, or stale seasonings is to place them in the microwave - only long enough to "loosen them up" . The down side - much like heating them in the traditional oven - is that the volatile essential oils that give many spices their aroma/taste - are "vagrant" in nature ( thus the moniker volatile) ;) and will really loose their potency after heating them, so - microwave - then use them right then. If you microwave - or just heat them - them put them back on the shelf, you will find that have gone "flat" the next time you take them out to use.
T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 08:44:07 PM »
What the best practice to prevent this from happening. 
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline RAD

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 06:22:30 AM »
I don't have any input, I just want to keep learning on this one. I see a lot of input coming.
Love to cook and eat

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 07:29:10 AM »
I'll throw my 2 cents worth in here.  I have been buying my bulk spices from Penzey's for quite a while.  When I open a package, I will refill a jar and then vacuum seal the remainder.  Next, I store the bulk spices in a plastic set of drawers in a dark closet.  This seems to be working for me.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Sailor1

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 09:07:56 AM »
I'll throw my 2 cents worth in here.  I have been buying my bulk spices from Penzey's for quite a while.  When I open a package, I will refill a jar and then vacuum seal the remainder.  Next, I store the bulk spices in a plastic set of drawers in a dark closet.  This seems to be working for me.

Art
What Art said.......vac seal them and you are good to go.  I store my bulk vac sealed spices a plastic cabinet in my office closet.  That is where all my sausage making stuff lives.  It is dark and has AC vent and never had any problem.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 11:21:01 AM »
Haven't had Amy issues until the move.  Just need to cook more and use them up quicker.   
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 03:45:32 PM »
I buy bulk, fill up jar , vacuum seal & into freezer
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 05:34:19 PM »
I like to try a variety of spices, so go the opposite direction. I buy most of my spices from the Spice House in Milwaukee - either on line or on one of my annual trips. Some stand-byes I buy in fairly large jars. But most I buy in small quantities that can be used within a few months. This may not be the most economical way to buy - but it assures me that they are fresh when I use them.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #